Running my router as a VM inside ESXi

Hi -

Got a question that I hope someone can help me with.

I want to run my server with ESXi, running a bunch of VMs (pfSense, FreeNAS, a linux server or two) but am a little confused as to how the network will work, or even if it can.

I want to have a NIC dedicated to a pfSense VM connected my FTTC modem over PPOE.

The other NIC will be connected into my LAN (essentially a switch), which is where everything else will connect - including my TV, Sonos boxes, Laptops, Desktop, Phones, Tablets, Access Point for WiFi etc

I want pfSense to not just be my router but also provide services such as DHCP.

If pfSense boots after the ESXi server does, how do I get the ESXi server onto the same network?

How do I configure it all in the first place if there is nothing providing DHCP before the pfSense installation is done?

Hope this makes sense...

Its the same as deploying a tmg server, You need two NIC's the external network nic you only add to the router vm none of the other computers should have it.

As for the internal lan you need static addressing (for the virtualization server, routers internal nic etc) As long as they are on the same subnet they can communicate when the vm boots up

Additional services must listen on the internal NIC and if you have a DNS server you should make sure the external servers ip address isn't registered in dns because you don't want clients on the internal lan to try to connect via the external nic ip address.

Its the same as deploying a tmg server, You need two NIC's the external network nic you only add to the router vm none of the other computers should have it.

As for the internal lan you need static addressing (for the virtualization server, routers internal nic etc) As long as they are on the same subnet they can communicate when the vm boots up

Additional services must listen on the internal NIC and if you have a DNS server you should make sure the external servers ip address isn't registered in dns because you don't want clients on the internal lan to try to connect via the external nic ip address.

Sorry - a TMG server?

Another secure gateway/router the setup for both is similar, two nics internal/external etc

Thanks.

But how do I give the 'empty' ESXi server a static IP address in the first place?

Is that something that needs to be done during the installation of ESXi?

I see what your getting at, Especially if the DHCP server is a VM and it comes up AFTER the ESXi Host. It should never be designed like that anyway just give it a static if you can then it doesn't need to change. Also you can set your VM's to power on automatically so that would work. ESXi Hosts are designed to very rarely go down ;-)

As ChuckFinley stated, just give the ESXi box a static address. Once it's running, at the console, there is an option to assign the IP address. Then restart the networking. I believe it prompts to do that anyway.

Then your router distro will handle all the DHCP addressing for everyone else.

I run my pfsense as VM on my esxi host.

Your esxi host vmk IP would be STATIC, why would you ever use on your esxi host in the first place?

post-14624-0-66847200-1366290450.jpg