Reliable software to check the health status of a ssd?

Before going on vacation, I tried installing the latest beta drivers from AMD. For the first time since running Windows 8, I had a blue screen crash. It was pretty significant to the point that the system automatically did a system restore.

System booted up but it would take 10xs as long to load Windows. I decided that I would try reinstalling Windows 8 again after getting back from vacation.

Well, I just got back and was greeted with a unbootable drive (BIOS did not find the drive). I was finally able to get it to start up by unplugging the power from the drive for a few minutes and booting the system up again. It still took a long time to boot up Windows, though

I have Hard Disk Sentinel installed and that app claims my SSD is in perfect working condition. I obviously find it doubtful. I will call Crucial tomorrow to get a replacement but I'm wondering if there are any apps I can use to check the health status of the drive before then

Haven't really used SSDs, but if they support S.M.A.R.T data like most regular hard drives, then there's tons of options out there for viewing that information. You can try out Speccy, it's by the same people that make CCleaner (Piriform), and one of its options displays your S.M.A.R.T data, which is pretty useful for knowing all sorts of stuff about how your drive is performing. I think Windows has a built in feature to view the data, but when I work on Windows PCs I always just use Speccy.

Edit: The screenshot is from the built in "Disks" utility in Ubuntu Linux. I just attached it to show you what kind of information is contained in the SMART data if a drive supports it.

post-125978-0-16945200-1365991825.png

A few months ago I was working with a OCZ Vertex 3 drive. It also had no indications besides windows failing to load, problems loading programs and files.

IMO, it depends on what is failing. If the controller fails then it's probably not gonna throw smart errors.

I gave that a try - seems to be in perfect condition when checking that app as well

I think it's like you say goatsniffer. I'll get Crucial to send a replacement. As of now, it seems like things are normal again but I really prefer not to take any chances

SSD controllers seem to be the major failing point for almost all SSD problems that I've seen, which is sad because it's very much a case of literally working 100% one second and then it suddenly dies.

This thread makes me glad that I did not rush to get a Crucial SSD drive for my new laptop. :p

All the peeps I know with one love it...one had issues after the M4s 070H firmware that were fixed by him updating his BIOS (sigh :p )

This thread makes me glad that I did not rush to get a Crucial SSD drive for my new laptop. :p

My Crucial M4 has been running perfectly fine since June '11, almost been 2 years. I'm retiring it (for me), because it's 64 GB, and giving it to a friend who doesn't have a SSD. I'm also giving out 2x Intel X25-M 80 GB's to my other friends - I'm too generous :p

All the peeps I know with one love it...one had issues after the M4s 070H firmware that were fixed by him updating his BIOS (sigh :p )

I did upgrade to that firmware but my mobo is updated to the latest BIOS as well. And I upgraded my firmware after I was having issues.

Below is what I got back from Crucial...makes sense? Essentially saying I need to leave my system in BIOS for 8+ hours

Thank you for contacting us. The behavior you are describing is consistent with TRIM commands not executing on the drive (which may result from lots of writing and rewriting, especially OS installs, not done on the OS level). The accumulation of 'junk' data from file deletions, even reformats, basically clogs up the drive and reduces or sometimes even halts performance and can even dismount the drive. A secondary feature called Garbage Collection activates when the drive is powered, but has no data throughput, for an extended period, and does background cleanup on our SSDs which can make up for the lack of TRIM.

If this is the cause of your drive's behavior, a period of idling the drive without any data being written or read actively will improve its performance. We recommend you perform this idle period on a desktop computer because it allows you to only connect the SATA power connection. However, a USB enclosure with an external power source will also work. A laptop computer will also work, but you?ll have to connect the drive and navigate to the systems BIOS menu. (Please refer to your system manufacturer?s documentation on how to access the BIOS.)

Agreed. I'm going to set up Win 2K Server Essentials in a virtual machine and start daily backups from that. I'll eventually move to a full fledged essentials server (currently windows 8). Just don't want to deal with the potential of immediate loss. I'm glad I was able to get back into my system but could be any day now where it finally decides to take a hike

I did upgrade to that firmware but my mobo is updated to the latest BIOS as well. And I upgraded my firmware after I was having issues.

Below is what I got back from Crucial...makes sense? Essentially saying I need to leave my system in BIOS for 8+ hours

Thank you for contacting us. The behavior you are describing is consistent with TRIM commands not executing on the drive (which may result from lots of writing and rewriting, especially OS installs, not done on the OS level). The accumulation of 'junk' data from file deletions, even reformats, basically clogs up the drive and reduces or sometimes even halts performance and can even dismount the drive. A secondary feature called Garbage Collection activates when the drive is powered, but has no data throughput, for an extended period, and does background cleanup on our SSDs which can make up for the lack of TRIM.

If this is the cause of your drive's behavior, a period of idling the drive without any data being written or read actively will improve its performance. We recommend you perform this idle period on a desktop computer because it allows you to only connect the SATA power connection. However, a USB enclosure with an external power source will also work. A laptop computer will also work, but you?ll have to connect the drive and navigate to the systems BIOS menu. (Please refer to your system manufacturer?s documentation on how to access the BIOS.)

oh wow thats bloody weird. TRIM isn't active by default in 7 though...but I assume you know about that.

Trim ought be enabled if he installed directly to the device..

When you get back into Windows, run this command in an elevated command line: fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify

If the value it returns is 0, Trim is enabled.

Trim ought be enabled if he installed directly to the device..

7 doesn't enable it by default on any system that I'm aware of. I'd already switched to 8 when I got the Vertex 4 so I admit I couldn't tell you from experience.

Well, I can tell you it is >.> Was one of the key market push incentives when we were dealing with OEMs.

7 was the first (MS) SSD enabled OS. It's detected during install and set up that way >.<

Well, if your computer is constantly writing/reading, it won't activate trim, so it is possible..

Would be the first I have heard of it though >.>