All USB Ports have suddenly stopped working

Hi Neowinians,

Hopefully your pearls of wisdom can help me out once again.

On Friday night, I left my computer running while i slept, for updates to complete etc...(Done this many times).

On Saturday I went to use the PC and noticed my G5 and G15 Mouse/Keyboard were not lit up in the normal way, as if they were not plugged in. I decided to reboot, to see if that would fix the problem, unfortunately not, everything usb, including external hard drive and wireless adapter are not being picked up.

Decided that their may have been a power surge on the USB, so unplugged everything, left it for a few hours and retried, same result, nothing. Luckily I have a PS2 keyboard in reserve for just this occasion.

I then decided to see if a Windows 7 reinstall would cure the problem as I only really have that on my Primary. This also had no effect and the USB's are still not working.

OK I said, lets dismantle the PC and re-build, maybe something has some out, completely dis-assembled it, re-assembled it, tried boot up and again the USB's are not working.

This time, google searched the issue, on advise, tried to see if he registry key was set to 3 for the USBSTOR, as it was.

Also checked BIOS to ensure that USB was enabled, it is.

There was talks to a virus possibly doing this, but would the OS Reinstall not have hit that?

Next step is an RMA, so if anyone thinks they might know the issue, here are the PC Specs:

Windows 7 64bit

i5 3570K running at 4.2 (but have tried clear CMOS thinking it might cure my problem), so now at stock.

Noctua Heatsink

2gb Radeon 7950HD

8gb Corsair Vengeance Ram

MSI Z77A G45 Motherboard

OCZ Agility 3 SSD

Any help is appreciated

To Add, this includes the front USB Ports on the case.

Try this:

Go to: Start > Control Panel > System > Hardware Tab > Device Manager

navigate down to USB Root HUB (all of them) > Right Click > Properties > Power Management Tab

Un check "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power".

Retry your USB device...It should work now...

And this:

Refresh the USB Stack

a. Bring up - Device Manager ?

b. Expand USB Serial Controllers - RIGHT CLICK on EVERYTHING and UNINSTALL

all except the category itself.

c. REBOOT the computer.

also check USB is enabled in Bios

Will give this a try when I get home and let you know.

I'd check that you have the latest UEFI code first if it's persisting on a reinstall (maybe you did but you didn't mention it)

I would suspect a hardware issue if it's persisting on a reinstall but USB3 isn't natively supported by Windows 7...your drivers could've been screwed up but I doubt it would affect the USB2 ports. (Stranger things have happened with old BIOSes, so who knows.)

Phouchq,

Are you saying to install Linux, boot into that and see if usb works? (Never installed or used Linux)

No, he is saying use a live cd and see if the usb works. No need to install anything.

in the Bios a USB keyboard should at least function. Sounds like a knackered board. But I would recommend unplugging it the power, disconnecting the power supply from the MB, removing the battery and then hitting the power button a few times and then reconnecting everything and trying it again. If that doesn't work I think your board needs an RMA.

did u check it is enabled in thr bios?

................................ Do you think that if it wasn't enabled in BIOS, he'd be getting power from them? All these suggestions are basically like throwing darts at a dartboard and suggesting that idea next.

OP, the board is screwed, RMA it.

OP, the board is screwed, RMA it.

I would agree with you if hes updated the BIOS (UEFI code I mentioned.) I had an issue on my X58 very recently that was messing with the USB and fixed in an update.

Still, most likely needs RMA yes.

OK, so I have sent the RMA request and await the results.

In the mean time, the only thing I had not checked are the power options in Device Manager, so I went to take a look...no power tab on Windows 7.

OK I thought, will go into main power options in control panel, when i click..nothing happens...

Tried the .cpl from run and got the same.

Thought ok, ill check services in administrative tools......BOOM, WTF?!

All my services except a few are set to disabled......

Thought i would look at my work laptop (also Windows 7) and all of those are set to Manual except a few.....

Anyone know why this may be?

Scratch the above, sorted that part...still getting power from USB's, but not recognising anything thats plugged in.

Hopefully its RMA without a problem, only 8 months old....

Drivers have done this to me before, as well as a corrupt CMOS. If drivers are good (no ! ) clear the CMOS and reboot, bet it'll find new devices.

Also burning and booting a live disc like ubuntu should work with USB ports as well.

OK, so I have sent the RMA request and await the results.

In the mean time, the only thing I had not checked are the power options in Device Manager, so I went to take a look...no power tab on Windows 7.

OK I thought, will go into main power options in control panel, when i click..nothing happens...

Tried the .cpl from run and got the same.

Thought ok, ill check services in administrative tools......BOOM, WTF?!

All my services except a few are set to disabled......

Thought i would look at my work laptop (also Windows 7) and all of those are set to Manual except a few.....

Anyone know why this may be?

V-I-R-U-S