win7

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#16 Riggers

Riggers

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 16 April 2013 - 17:55

What`s the make and model of the lappie, you should be able (as said) to get the no probs. Could be Realtek, Athros, Intel, etc, look in Device Manager. You still probably won`t be able to activate it, sounds like you bought just a windows 7 DVD (unless you have a D
ell SLIC).

SLIC

Some BIOSes contain a "SLIC" (software licensing description table), a digital signature placed inside the BIOS by the manufacturer, for example Dell. This SLIC is inserted in the ACPI table and contains no active code. Computer manufacturers that distribute OEM versions of Microsoft Windows and Microsoft application software can use the SLIC to authenticate licensing to the OEM Windows Installation disk and/or system recovery disc containing Windows software. Systems having a SLIC can be preactivated with an OEM product key, and they verify an XML formatted OEM certificate against the SLIC in the BIOS as a means of self-activating (see System Locked Preinstallation). If a user performs a fresh install of Windows, they will need to have possession of both the OEM key and the digital certificate for their SLIC in order to bypass activation; in practice this is extremely unlikely and hence the only real way this can be achieved is if the user performs a restore using a pre-customised image provided by the OEM. Cracks for non-genuine Windows distributions usually edit the SLIC or emulate it in order to bypass Windows activation.

Good luck

#17 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• Tech Issues Solved: 13

Posted 16 April 2013 - 17:55

Go directly to the vendor to get the NIC drivers.

^ Which vendor ?

Asus support drivers did not get the wireless working.

Running a Performance test, identifies the motherboard as AsusTek, and the chipset as Intel, Sandybridge.

Many of the Asus site downloaded programs/drivers will not install on my Asus laptop.

At the end, it reads 'this software is only for Asus computers.'

And yes -- it did this from the first I had the computer, with the older hard drive, Windows 7 Premium.

Asus's own programs do not recognize this laptop as an Asus.

I don't know what to make of that.

#18 lars77

lars77

Neowinian

Posted 16 April 2013 - 18:09

You should have downloaded the drivers before installing the OS, much easier that way. :p

What's the model? You should be able to download the drivers individually off their website (my own Asus laptop wasn't too difficult to get the drivers).

You can also get many of the drivers directly from manufacturers' websites, e.g. Intel, Realtek, Broadcom, Synaptics, etc...trick is knowing which drivers you need. Technically since you still have the old drive, you could plug it back in, boot it up, then go into Device Manager which'll list all the drivers needed for the laptop. Then download the relevant ones from Asus or manufacturer websites to a USB stick for your new Windows install.

re: the Asus software.. not sure on that one, maybe it looks to see if Windows is OEM activated against Asus & since yours isn't it thinks it's not a Asus laptop? To be honest I always just download the drivers individually rather than use the auto-install software stuff.

#19 c.grz

c.grz

Neowinian

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 16 April 2013 - 18:33

What's the model of the laptop?

#20 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

Posted 16 April 2013 - 18:41

You should have downloaded the drivers before installing the OS, much easier that way. :p

What's the model? You should be able to download the drivers individually off their website (my own Asus laptop wasn't too difficult to get the drivers).

^ You haven't read my posts very well.

I had the supposed drivers downloaded before, from Asus.

From the Support page for my model.

I think now, what was missing from that white envelope in the box, was the Asus installation DVD.

Several items listed refuse to even Install, from the Asus website.

I have never seen this before.

Maybe this is a 'fake' Asus ...

#21 c.grz

c.grz

Neowinian

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 16 April 2013 - 18:46

http://www.zhangduo.com/udi.html

You can use this to tell you what drivers you'll need to obtain to get your "unknown devices" working.

So the LAN drivers posted here don't work?: http://www.asus.com/...ort_Download_30

You can also try here: http://www.atheros.c...ork-drivers.php

#22 xendrome

xendrome

In God We Trust; All Others We Monitor

• Tech Issues Solved: 14

Posted 16 April 2013 - 19:01

I am stuck, due to the Network Controller driver not being installed.

None of the drivers from Asus Support seem to work.

Can not connect to the internet.

Is there any generic I can use ... ?

Do you not have the driver from your previous load? Windows 7 drivers are all the same across any SKU.

#23 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

Posted 16 April 2013 - 19:17

^ Thanks for the info.

Oh well -- I tried -- back to safety.

I put back the original drive. I will think it over, and try another day.

If something does go really wrong if the future, it won't be easily fixed.

Not even the listed video drivers from Asus would install.

Something must be very wrong with the Support page.

I'll try e-mailing Asus and ask them what's wrong.

At least next time I sort of know what hardware, drivers are installed:

Attached Images

• hardware.png

#24 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

Posted 16 April 2013 - 19:37

As a side note, this is a bit trippy ... Not even Asus automatic model detection, can recognize my model :s :

Attached Images

• unidentified.png

#25 Riggers

Riggers

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 16 April 2013 - 19:48

From your earlier post about it coming as "refurbished" maybe the internals where changed, it`s a mystery :dontgetit:

Anyway, if you give it another go try installing this driver from Softpedia (normally a safe place to download from), then you should be able to grab the rest via windows update, possibly, probably, er maybe ;)

http://drivers.softpedia.com/progDownload/Atheros-AR813X-AR815X-LAN-Driver-10036-for-Windows-7-Download-150107.html

Good luck Hum,
Riggers

#26 sc302

sc302

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 36

Posted 16 April 2013 - 19:48

if your other drive is windows 7 also use driver magician lite to extract the drivers.

http://www.drivermagician.com/Lite.htm

This will allow you to pull the drivers and reinstall them on your new install.

#27 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

Posted 16 April 2013 - 21:21

From your earlier post about it coming as "refurbished" maybe the internals where changed, it`s a mystery :dontgetit:

That's what I was thinking -- I do believe that the hard drive, at least was swapped out, and a new 'Asus' ? OEM recovery partition was put in.

My past computers, I had always made a file of the latest working drivers and kept them ready in a folder.

In case of whatever.

I have e-mailed Asus -- I hope they can clear up the mystery of why my Asus laptop is not recognized as an Asus.

#28 lars77

lars77

Neowinian

Posted 16 April 2013 - 21:40

That's all a bit weird, maybe you're just working off the wrong laptop model number? e.g. maybe the Asus model sticker's text is rubbed out or something. Or somehow it's straight up incorrect.

Only other idea I have, maybe try just entering the first part of the model number into the Asus support website & see if that comes up? e.g. my old-ish laptop is a Asus F8SP-X1, but the "-X1" just signifies the OS the laptop came with (I think). On the Asus support website I need to enter "F8SP" for my laptop drivers to come up. May be worth a shot?

In any case you can definitely pull the drivers, or at least get an idea of which drivers you need, from your current Windows install.

#29 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

Posted 16 April 2013 - 22:49

I registered my laptop, and the Asus website recognized my serial number as correct.

I can only guess that something in the recovery partition installed some wrong ID.

Who knows.

#30 YouWhat

YouWhat

Neowinian

• Phone: iPhone 4s IOS 6.1.2

Posted 16 April 2013 - 23:46

There are ways to trick Windows into finding this information. Not sure if that's where Hum is going to go next, but it's against the rules. Just heading that off ;)

Yeah I know all bout those methods, just wasn't going to mention them on here.

Also to get the drivers, you could (if it works) plug into router via cable and try through windows update to find them, as most of the time (99% in my experience) Windows 7 will always install the onboard nic, but not always install the wireless, even on older hardware it has always installed the wired interface connection.

If there is a recovery partition on the old drive, check on there to see if it has the drivers needed, as most of the time, they are supplied in folder on there, can be sometimes hidden though.