cease fire cease fire.. I know this is off topic but seeing how many Windows 8 enthusiast are in here I was hoping to get an quick answer..

Has anyone tried to install 8.1 via bootcamp? If not, I'll take it one for the team and try it(mid 2012 mbp 16gb ram, i7)

scratch that.. messed around in a VM and filled with bugs(as to be excepted)

Although not as big, I think you are underestimating Windows server, Exchange, SharePoint and Lync. They all stand on their own merit and are profitable.

Tablets as primary computing medium don't make speciality work requirements obsolete. When we switched to air travel for long distances, it suddenly didn't make cars obsolete.

I agree the Server products are not only best in class, but profitable. But not enough to sustain Microsoft, not even for a little while, as it exist today were the Office and Windows cash cows to fade significantly. The overall margin and ROI is all shareholders care about.

I believe it is a misconception that the majority of the growth in sales of Tablets and Smartphones are going to workers. They are going to consumers who play a lot of tapplets, facebook, and tweet a lot.

The money, is in applications, as Microsoft's #1 product, Office, still attests to. I mean, just how much of any kind of work do you think Andorid Tablets, the cheap ones responsible for the sales, and iPads are doing. iPad are doing a significant amount as we open up to them by user demand, but by no means will even 40% of information workers be given mobile devices any time in the near future. Time may prove me wrong, but I don't believe the present does.

Doesn't the mouse wheel navigate the start page? normally you can just start typing the name of thing you want to run....

Yes, I was on a trackpad. it was an example of habit and the duality of the UIs. The gestures mostly work, no 3 fingers work and swipe from left doesn't. Synaptics pad, but it's interesting.

The problem is, on a desktop, no one spends much time looking at a full screen Start Menu, and if you're on the desktop, you don't need to be fed bits of information on a tile, you're on the desktop, all the info is quickly available. On Tablet or Phone when mobile, what they were designed for, they're quite excellent.

I said it would help sales...meaning help Windows 8 sales and Win8 would be accepted more. Never said it would save the market.

The market doesn't need saving. The market for the established base with plenty of power on the desktop, is for applications. The mobile market is parallel to it, and will also flatten and that market will shift to applications.

Even if you think that Windows 8 is a failure, so far there's no real alternative for "the mass". I'm sure OSX would gain a lot of market share right now (if you could legally go buy a DVD and install it on your current PC) but the barrier of entry is too high for most people. So while people are unhappy with Windows 8 they don't have a choice and they'll just stick with it or Windows 7, MS is not in trouble.

The Start Menu never had many improvements to it.
It [the start menu] would sit there gathering dust, while Microsoft moves ahead with the Metr UX.

What you've basically said is that the start menu has not been improved, then you move on to talk about how if it were brought back they would not improve it. So, business as usual then?

• Like 2

Even if you think that Windows 8 is a failure, so far there's no real alternative for "the mass". I'm sure OSX would gain a lot of market share right now (if you could legally go buy a DVD and install it on your current PC) but the barrier of entry is too high for most people. So while people are unhappy with Windows 8 they don't have a choice and they'll just stick with it or Windows 7, MS is not in trouble.

OS X has a start menu and a start button? :p (stacks don't count). OS X is not an alternative, it is a niche still and by the looks of it, will stay like that forever. Linux and OS X have change only if Windows suddenly disappeared, not otherwise. The slow decay that is supposed to kill it will not happen because of alternative desktop OS but mobile (as the current signs show).

until another platform can come up with a superior dev environment that gives you everything visual studio does, a vast array of management and server products, and all the other things that MS has that other solutions are still lacking, good luck with windows being "over"....

"Not a single AAA game for Windows 8 Modern UI has been announced"

How many AAA games do we have for the start menu in W7? I think I've missed something. :/

How many OSes do we have where the start menu is intended to be an entity of its own, with apps? With Windows 7, the start menu is a means to an end. With 8, MS wants it to be the new main UI.

Windows 8 is again a Beta for the next XP/7 solid OS. MS tends to make a fool out of people releasing beta software. They gain profit of Beta software, its great for them, bad for us.

They should have matured WIndows Phone platform, gain a solid advantage and then releasing a well tested, tested by people, not paid geeks, PC Operating System.

They are giving bad image to the Windows Phone, that i think has a nice design but lack of apps and features. They should focus on Windows Phone or give other name to it, as Phone is very 2000?ish term, now they are nothing but phones.

OS X has a start menu and a start button? :p (stacks don't count). OS X is not an alternative, it is a niche still and by the looks of it, will stay like that forever. Linux and OS X have change only if Windows suddenly disappeared, not otherwise. The slow decay that is supposed to kill it will not happen because of alternative desktop OS but mobile (as the current signs show).

Finder > Applications. Its not a start menu or button, but suitable. Or there is launchpad, but then that is a little more akin to Windows 8.

Windows 8 is again a Beta for the next XP/7 solid OS. MS tends to make a fool out of people releasing beta software. They gain profit of Beta software, its great for them, bad for us.

They should have matured WIndows Phone platform, gain a solid advantage and then releasing a well tested, tested by people, not paid geeks, PC Operating System.

They are giving bad image to the Windows Phone, that i think has a nice design but lack of apps and features. They should focus on Windows Phone or give other name to it, as Phone is very 2000?ish term, now they are nothing but phones.

While I have misgivings of Windows 8, that is nonsense. Windows ME had stability issues. Windows Vista had stability and performance issues. Windows 8 has neither.

Finder > Applications. Its not a start menu or button, but suitable. Or there is launchpad, but then that is a little more akin to Windows 8.

I think I am well aware of how basic OS X works. You missed my lame attempt at a "joke".

Nobody respects him on ZDnet, he is an asbolute moron, not even the Linux/FOSS community like him because half the crap he says is wrong. Why does anyone listen to this absolute sad excuse for a tech journalist.

... Err, what?

Don't worry, they have Ed Bott to make up for it

Yeap. I do not worry, neither take him seriously. At this point such articles are simply marked as "entertainment" to me. :laugh:

Don't worry, they have Ed Bott to make up for it

One Ed Bott is not enough to counter SJVN's FUD campaign... re: his FUD on SecureBoot or how he once did XX reasons to avoid Windows 7 etc. which is ironic if you read his Windows 8 articles where he seems to be head over heels recommending Windows 7.

I don't want to regret saying this..

but after messing around with the latest Windows 8.1 build.. it is starting to grow on me..(using start8)

PS:

I am also aware, they are pretty much the same thing..

Why? Should lawyers go after people that 1-star on product reviews too?

That zdnet "article" is about intentionally spreading misinformation.

Don't be an ass.

While I have misgivings of Windows 8, that is nonsense. Windows ME had stability issues. Windows Vista had stability and performance issues. Windows 8 has neither.

Its a UI Beta, everyone is upset of this move. If you read the Blue reports, for the next OS, you will find out that MS is putting the START button again, separating the METRO from the classic look. This clearly shows that they failed to tested and sold it out to the public, and now are correcting the stupid mistakes they make over and over again, XP, FAIL, Win7, FAIL. It doesnt require an Harvard Doc to know they are doing this again and again. Eatch time they FAIL they lose their share for MAC and others.

If they handled Windows8 has a Beta to get to know the opinions they would have changed it like they are doing.

Beta isnt just on code aand features Beta is also in the UI acts and Feels. Windows 8 is for me a Beta, like it was Vista. People will go BLUE now the Beta testing is over.

Im not saying that Win8 doesnt have the Classic look, it does but not by reference, people like the reference thats why they are buying Windows OS for long. The next Blue Windows will have to Boot to classic mode and not consume resources with Metro style. Maybe Disable it for the ones that really dont want that, or dont own a Windows Phone.

People like to use Windows because they are in Control, they dont want Metro they want Choice ;)