41 replies to this topic

#16 Mindovermaster

Mindovermaster

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 9
  • Phone: HTC ONE V

Posted 17 April 2013 - 14:33

So, yeah. People knew what I meant.

Then be more percise. Not everyone knows what you mean.

Step 1: Rule out Seagate.

I've lost data with Seagate drives, have stopped purchasing anything from them years ago, and everybody I know who's knowledgeable enough to buy/install a hard drive has reported the same bad experiences.

Even just recently, I was given a system that was headed for the trash (not worth the owner's time to investigate whatever's wrong with it). It's got a pair of 500GB Seagate hard drives. One's completely dead, the other had SpinRite stuck at under 0.04% for one week straight (and not moving)...similar problems with Seagate's own diagnostics tools.

Normally I wouldn't bad-mouth a company based on anyone's personal anecdote(s), but because of the failure rate I've been seeing firsthand, I've sworn them off.

Seagate is not to blame. I had many WD drives die on me. It's a fact of life. Every drive will die, just a matter of time.

#17 compl3x

compl3x

OK. compl3x again.

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 17 April 2013 - 17:11

Then be more percise. Not everyone knows what you mean.

WD themselves just use the word NAS. It's good enough for them to, so I don't see why I can't.

Posted Image

#18 Mindovermaster

Mindovermaster

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 April 2013 - 17:22

The right choice!
No other drive is designed specifically for home and small office NAS systems and PCs with RAID.

IIRC, not ALL NAS have RAID capabilities. So a non-RAID NAS will not gain any benefits.

#19 OP freak180

freak180

Mr. GreatDisaster

Posted 17 April 2013 - 18:51

lol guys...Still need some recommended drives to purchase :rofl: Some links would be nice as well lol

#20 +patseguin

patseguin

Neowin Addict

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 17 April 2013 - 18:57

The WD green drives are great for backups however I'd go with an external drive for backups. I have a Seagate USB 3.0 3TB backup drive and love it.

#21 fusi0n

fusi0n

The Crazy One

• Phone: iPhone 5S 64GB

Posted 17 April 2013 - 19:00

just counting personal drives.. I have had 14 drives die on me.. like others said, pick your poison.

#22 YounGMessiah

YounGMessiah

"individual magnets"

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3

Posted 17 April 2013 - 19:02

Seagate Barracuda
or those other ones are worth a look
http://www.newegg.co...deId=1&name=3TB

I have experience with multiple Barracudas including many 2TB and 3TB and NEVER had any issues...

But as another said all Harddrives fail eventually

#23 Sir Topham Hatt

Sir Topham Hatt

A Very Talented Individual

Posted 17 April 2013 - 19:02

I have WD green drives in my HTPC, I think my desktop is WD (maybe green too!).
I'll be putting WD in my next PC too.

Remember, you get bad batches in every HD company, so don't delete the data after copying over - check the drive is okay first.

#24 +PeterUK

PeterUK

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 17 April 2013 - 19:03

Nothing against Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 ST3000DM001.
http://www.seagate.c...es/desktop-hdd/

If people want you to go with something else fine but at that amount of storage on any HDD is never safe.

#25 abysal

abysal

Neowin Addict

• Phone: BB9930/SGS5

Posted 17 April 2013 - 19:07

Whenever I get a new drive these days, I do a full sector by sector scan with HD Tune or similair app, check smart logs, and then put drive into production. If there are any bad sectors, I RMA the drive right away.

#26 OP freak180

freak180

Mr. GreatDisaster

Posted 17 April 2013 - 19:11

Nothing against Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 ST3000DM001.
http://www.seagate.c...es/desktop-hdd/

If people want you to go with something else fine but at that amount of storage on any HDD is never safe.

What do you mean by that? The figure higher storage HD's are more safer or am I wrong? I just wanted to avoid WD green when it comes to storing the data. For a back up, sure why not.

Whenever I get a new drive these days, I do a full sector by sector scan with HD Tune or similair app, check smart logs, and then put drive into production. If there are any bad sectors, I RMA the drive right away.

Thats smart! I should consider doing this as well.

#27 +Phouchg

Phouchg

Random Oracle

• Phone: SQNY D5503

Posted 17 April 2013 - 19:34

People just don't take care of their drives. With those insane capacities (or rather: densities; there's never enough capacity) drives are destined to fail much faster than they used to as it is, but taking good care (no vibrations, no shocks, sufficient airflow, sufficiently cool airflow at that - anything over 50*C harms the drive - and no useless shutdowns and spin-ups to "save power") is of an utmost importance and will greatly shift towards plain luck (or the lack of it, thereof) for any manufacturer or brand.

#28 +PeterUK

PeterUK

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 17 April 2013 - 19:37

What do you mean by that? The figure higher storage HD's are more safer or am I wrong?

The higher density of a 3TB to a 1TB say plus the different number of internal disks (for one HDD) to get that storage with the density the data is then stored for the HDD to read/write too makes things more to less safe. Even if you take all that into account you are still trusting that one HDD for your data meaning any amount of storage on any HDD is never safe.

#29 Mindovermaster

Mindovermaster

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 April 2013 - 20:38

The higher density of a 3TB to a 1TB say plus the different number of internal disks (for one HDD) to get that storage with the density the data is then stored for the HDD to read/write too makes things more to less safe. Even if you take all that into account you are still trusting that one HDD for your data meaning any amount of storage on any HDD is never safe.

True, I always try to save everything amongst 3 sources. My PC Storage, My NAS, as well as on my external drive.

#30 compl3x

compl3x

OK. compl3x again.

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:57

lol guys...Still need some recommended drives to purchase :rofl: Some links would be nice as well lol

I'd just say go with the WD Green drives. They work well and they are cheap. I have like 4 of them and they serve me well.

True, I always try to save everything amongst 3 sources. My PC Storage, My NAS, as well as on my external drive.

You should also consider an off-site back up. If your PC/NAS/Ext.HDDs are all in one place (e.g. your house or apartment) and a fire happens or you're robbed you'd lose everything in one hit.