Photo

Recommend an all-purpose wired mouse for large hands.

mouse peripherals hardware wired

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 CelticWhisper

CelticWhisper

We've met before, haven't we?

• Location: Your house. As a matter of fact, I'm there right now.

Posted 17 April 2013 - 19:42

I'm about ready to retire my trusty Logitech MX510, as the button sensitivity is going and I find myself missing clicks, along with the scroll wheel alternating between sticky and oversensitive.  I got 10 years out of it so I'm satisfied that I got my money's worth.  By the same token, I'm willing to pay a fair bit if I know I'm paying for quality that'll last me a long while, but I don't want to pay for just a brand name or gimmicks (saw a link to a Steelseries mouse that advertised a full 16 million colors as the range for which you could configure its internal LEDs.  Whoop-de-frickin'-do.).

What I'm looking for is:
-A mouse (derp)
-For a large right hand (my left hand is equally large, but I don't mouse with it, so...yeah).  Rough measurements are about ~190mm from tip of middle finger to wrist, ~105-110mm from edge of hand to beginning of thumb.
-Wired (Non-negotiable)
-Prefer whole-hand grip, not fingertip/"claw" grip.  I like to be able to rest my hand on it.  (Negotiable but strongly preferred.)
-I generally prefer ergonomic fit mice to symmetrical mice once a certain size is hit.  I don't know of any lefties who'll be using my PC, so symmetry/leftie-friendliness isn't necessary.
-Pinky support would be cool, but not required.
-This will be for lots of general purpose web/desktop navigation and usage of VMs, netadmin tools, etc.  There will be a decent but not excessive amount of gaming, and that gaming will be with extensive use of cheats and trainers to blow off steam, not for competition or online play, so crazy game-tuned performance isn't a must.  It'd be cool to have enough resolution that the camera won't be jerking all over the place, but otherwise I don't need the latest Razer FRAGYOUINTHEFACE MkII or anything.  I'll also be spending a fair amount of time in text-heavy environments like word processors and IDEs, so precision would be nice for highlighting text.  Some video editing but I have a jog/shuttle wheel for that - don't think the mouse'll matter much there.

Trackballs are not out of the question.

I've used and liked:
-Logitech MX300 (cheap and durable, but a bit small)
-Logitech MX510
-Logitech MX Revolution (until it stopped charging - hence the no-wireless condition)
-Kensington Expert Mouse trackball
-Logitech Cordless Optical Trackman (only wireless peripheral I'm still using)

Of these, the Cordless Optical Trackman trackball and the MX Revo were probably the most comfortable, as they had the nicest at-rest feel.  I can plop my hand down atop the Trackman and it covers it just about damn perfectly.

Sorry to be picky but I'd like to get this right the first time and not have to worry about trying a dozen different mice before I find the right one.

Thanks!

#2 sc302

sc302

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 31

Posted 17 April 2013 - 19:46

I have a intelimouse explorer 4.0 that I like. Contoured (although the online pics don't do it justice). It feels natural in my hand, pinky and all.

Maybe a logitech M500.

#3 YounGMessiah

YounGMessiah

"individual magnets"

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3

Posted 17 April 2013 - 19:47

Ive had my eye on this, havent been able to order one though...
http://www.razerzone...razer-ouroboros

I know its fancy, but at least look at it.. I have a messed up right wrist and this one seems to fit my posture I need

#4 Andre S.

Andre S.

Asik

• Tech Issues Solved: 12

Posted 17 April 2013 - 19:48

-Prefer whole-hand grip, not fingertip/"claw" grip. I like to be able to rest my hand on it. (Negotiable but strongly preferred.)

Isn't this a terrible idea from an ergonomics perspective? You're replacing your fingers with the wrist for fine motor control, while fingers are much more appropriate for that task. It seems like putting unecessary stress on the wrist, I'm not an expert but that doesn't seem like a good idea. It might be seemingly more effort to not be able to rest your palm on the mouse, but if that leads to fatigue then you're just using your mouse too much and not taking enough breaks.

#5 YounGMessiah

YounGMessiah

"individual magnets"

Posted 17 April 2013 - 19:50

I have also been happy with my G9x, not much strain on my wrist.. Its a claw type though

#6 abysal

abysal

Neowin Addict

• Phone: BB9930/SGS5

Posted 17 April 2013 - 19:51

Posted Image

Nah, in all seriousness. Take a look at the G500, it's similair to the MX510, but has extra width to support your thumb.Posted Image

#7 Max Norris

Max Norris

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 20
  • Phone: HTC One (Home) Lumia 1020 (Work)

Posted 17 April 2013 - 19:55

Kind of partial to the RAT 7 myself; you can move the rear, left and right panels to accommodate different sized hands or "grip styles", the pinkie and thumb rests come in a few different styles, and can also adjust its weight as well. Very comfortable mouse, also has some nice gaming features too.

Posted Image

#8 OP CelticWhisper

CelticWhisper

Posted 17 April 2013 - 23:15

Isn't this a terrible idea from an ergonomics perspective? You're replacing your fingers with the wrist for fine motor control, while fingers are much more appropriate for that task. It seems like putting unecessary stress on the wrist, I'm not an expert but that doesn't seem like a good idea. It might be seemingly more effort to not be able to rest your palm on the mouse, but if that leads to fatigue then you're just using your mouse too much and not taking enough breaks.

Huh...Y'know, actually, I never really thought about it that way.

...Aaaaaaaaaand holy crap, I just tried precision tracking with my wrist and then with my fingers, and damned if you're not right.

Okay, I'm editing the initial post and declaring a change of perspective. Claw grip is okay by me too.

#9 YounGMessiah

YounGMessiah

"individual magnets"

Posted 17 April 2013 - 23:44

Please look at the two I recommended :)

G9X is what I have now is awesome!

#10 theefool

theefool

Neowinian

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:11

I personally use the Logitech g9x. Why, cause I'm kinda big 6'7". This mouse works great.

#11 ACTIONpack

ACTIONpack

Graphic Designer

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 925 (T-Mobile)

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:02

Step 1. Buy small hands at morgue.

Step 2. Find a crazy doctor to cut hands and put new hands on.

Step 3. Buy the mouse you really want!

:D

#12 Vvo

Vvo

nom! nom! nom! Hug a fluffy dolphin!

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Samsung Vibrant (android 4.4.4 KK Spirit Rom 1.5)

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:42

I'd go for either the performace mx mouse or the g700, both are big mouses and they're wired/wireless hybrid

#13 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 18 April 2013 - 15:09

I'd go for either the performace mx mouse or the g700, both are big mouses and they're wired/wireless hybrid

This

#14 OP CelticWhisper

CelticWhisper

Posted 20 April 2013 - 01:41

Thanks for all the help. The recommendations for the G9X, coupled with the fact that it includes snap-on sizing adapters, saw me going for it. Will keep Performance Mouse MX or G700 in mind as a spare, since wired/wireless hybrid sounds kinda nice.

However...

Step 1. Buy small hands at morgue.

Step 2. Find a crazy doctor to cut hands and put new hands on.

Step 3. Buy the mouse you really want!

:D

THIS is the best idea I've seen in a long time. I wonder if the hands can be made hot-swappable...

#15 YounGMessiah

YounGMessiah

"individual magnets"

Posted 20 April 2013 - 02:05

I like how the G9x came with two plates and weights and the DPI is nice... and i can change colors! lol