Server Imaging Software

server imaging live data

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 thejohnnyq

thejohnnyq

Neowinian

Posted 19 April 2013 - 12:38

I have tried several the best is Doubletake Software. You can get the Move software for $250 and the license is good for 30 or 60 days, and it will clone you current server to the new server, and they will assist you as needed. I have used it to moved an Exchange 2007 server from Boston to the MidWest, and the target was a VMWare image. It worked great. It worked so well the client panic because they were not able to get things in the past. They are looking to purchase more license to mirror the servers for DR purposes.

#17 sc302

sc302

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 31

Posted 19 April 2013 - 12:48

Then use any imaging software, unfortunately all will require you to do an offline image of it...meaning you will need to shutdown the server. Or at least a reboot of the server to install drivers to be able to do a online image of the server. vmware has a p2v software that should take care of exchange without issue...I have not done exchange personally, but I have done sql and it works flawlessly. I have used doubletake in the past, it is old technology but it works.

#18 thejohnnyq

thejohnnyq

Neowinian

Posted 19 April 2013 - 13:00

Then use any imaging software, unfortunately all will require you to do an offline image of it...meaning you will need to shutdown the server. Or at least a reboot of the server to install drivers to be able to do a online image of the server. vmware has a p2v software that should take care of exchange without issue...I have not done exchange personally, but I have done sql and it works flawlessly. I have used doubletake in the past, it is old technology but it works.

Doubletake will not require you to do this, it will replicate the system with it online and running, I would just turn off the virus scanner to allow it to go quicker. It uses MS shadow copy functions and features to make copies.

#19 ]SK[

]SK[

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 19 April 2013 - 13:00

HP and their firmware. Standard reply for any hardware failures it seems. I wish I could count how many times I have been asked if we have reseated the drive and tried a firmware upgrade to the storage controller to resolve drive failures :(

#20 majortom1981

majortom1981

The crazy one

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 19 April 2013 - 13:05

The windows server 2008 r2 built in backup does not require the server to be offline. It uses VSS to backup any running files.

What hp servers are they? we have 2 ml 350 g6's that the backplane cage went.

#21 sc302

sc302

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 31

Posted 19 April 2013 - 13:09

majortom, That is true the built in one does not...it is built in, already installed, requires no third party software/drivers to install.

johnnyq, I haven't used it in a while but from what I remember it did need a reboot. It has always been able to do it online, like most other imaging softwares. Acronis, ghost, easeus, etc. It has third party software and/or drivers that it loaded which required a reboot in the past (going back to 2000-2003 days though).

the p2v vmware software does not require a reboot so that may be a moot point now utilizing vss without the need of a third party copy driver/agent other than to talk with vss which is why database images are flawless, there was a time where you needed to be in a shutdown state to be able to grab databases properly.