The Start Page - Not So Bad, Really

win8

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/Media Center Pack, Server 2k12 - Core i7 3770K/16GB DDR3/OCZ Vector 256GB/Gigabyte GTX 760
  • Phone: HTC One 64GB

Posted 18 April 2013 - 21:00

I personally, never cared much for the Start Page. Mostly because it was obtrusive, and requires cleaning and organization. But to be honest to those who would deny the power and efficiency of the old Start Menu, without cleaning and organization, and easy properties configuration, it isn't all that orderly and efficient either.

I actually hardly ever see my Start Page with Start8 installed, and I only used the Start Menu a lot to browse the computer and quickly access Favorites, top level of my Personal Folders, Recorded TV, and to quickly get to devices and printers. I can live without most of the browsing (though with Start8 I don't have to) and LL corner power menu with a quick right-click is actually faster access than available in Windows 7. It's a boring and ugly, iconless menu. I guess all things labeled "power" are that way. Or maybe it seems that way because the Modern UI is anything but "boring". Though it's plenty flat :/

So, all-in-all, and keep in mind I don't see it much, with proper attention, the Start Menu isn't that bad, especially if looked at as a launcher. In fact, most of my displeasure is because it is tied do search, which I think is abhorrent. With Microsoft rumored to be fixing Modern UI search, even this should go away soon.

So with that, While being able to label and select custom and large icons for tiles is a much needed built-in feature, remember to label your Start Menu categories, and take a little time to clean it up, it won't be so bad.

A properly organized Start Menu attached if I may say so myself ...

Attached Images

• Start.png

#2 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 April 2013 - 21:08

Here is mine. I also organize it.

Attached Images

• start.png

#3 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 April 2013 - 21:08

Yes, built in customization would be a boon to the start page, as would the micro tiles.

I've never understood the outcry over losing the start menu, it's essentially just a specifically formatted Explorer window. It seems bizarre if you've used Linux or OSX, where applications are more top-level.

#4 OP MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/Media Center Pack, Server 2k12 - Core i7 3770K/16GB DDR3/OCZ Vector 256GB/Gigabyte GTX 760

Posted 18 April 2013 - 21:12

Here is mine. I also organize it.

Nice. You reminded me I haven't installed Visio at home since building new PC. Guess that's a good thing but I better take care of that.

#5 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 April 2013 - 21:15

Yes, built in customization would be a boon to the start page, as would the micro tiles.

I've never understood the outcry over losing the start menu, it's essentially just a specifically formatted Explorer window. It seems bizarre if you've used Linux or OSX, where applications are more top-level.

I don't mind it so much now. I still cannot stand Modern apps though. The way I use it now, it isn't much different than this:

Attached Images

• launchpad.png

#6 +InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: OnePlus One

Posted 18 April 2013 - 21:27

If you don't pin any modern apps to it I think it looks quite tidy, all the random colours of the modern apps mashed together just looks a total mess to me.

Although I don't use it anymore I like my start screen layout, however I do think the modern games I've pinned to it look cluttered.

Posted Image

#7 Raze

Raze

Mentally Compromised

Posted 18 April 2013 - 22:04

Morgan are you crazy? Posting something level headed, sensible and mature about Windows 8, well that's just insane cool! ;)

Rarely used -

Posted Image

#8 Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Assistant Special Agent Chicken in charge

• Tech Issues Solved: 5
  • Phone: Motorola MicroTAC Elite

Posted 18 April 2013 - 22:17

If Microsoft were to put the start menu back, it would look like this! This is my concept of a Windows 8 start menu that i created. The windows 8 start screen is much cleaner and more organized though than the start menu! This picture of the start menu I created is like a hybrid of the start screen and the start menu!
start 8.png

#9 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• Tech Issues Solved: 7

Posted 18 April 2013 - 22:22

Yeah, once I get that Start page off the screen, it doesn't bother me. :D

#10 Raze

Raze

Mentally Compromised

Posted 18 April 2013 - 22:27

lol you troublemaker!! :laugh:

#11 OP MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

Posted 19 April 2013 - 00:31

I don't mind it so much now. I still cannot stand Modern apps though. The way I use it now, it isn't much different than this:

I think it would be very nice if the Start Page faded andblurred the desktop into the background and just superimposed over it until you were done. Less distracting.

#12 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

Posted 19 April 2013 - 00:53

I know the feeling. :D

#13 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Neowinian Senior

Posted 19 April 2013 - 01:17

I think it would be very nice if the Start Page faded andblurred the desktop into the background and just superimposed over it until you were done. Less distracting.

I could see Apple suing for that ;)

#14 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 19 April 2013 - 03:37

LL corner power menu with a quick right-click is actually faster access than available in Windows 7.

I was called a fanboy for saying that closer to Win8 release, I forgot who said that. :/

#15 LUTZIFER

LUTZIFER

Resident Evil

• Phone: Google Nexus 4

Posted 19 April 2013 - 04:07

I like mine better...

Attached Images

• Untitled.png