5 replies to this topic

#1 compl3x

compl3x

Space coyote

• 8,961 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 19 April 2013 - 11:47

Posted Image

British graphic designer Storm Thorgerson, best known for designing the iconic cover of Pink Floyd's 1973 classic album The Dark Side of the Moon, has died aged 69.

More recently Thorgerson created the artwork for records released by Australian bands Powderfinger and Pendulum, as well as Scottish rockers Biffy Clyro and British stadium act Muse.

He was a childhood friend of Pink Floyd's founding members before becoming the band's design chief. His most famous creation featured a prism of glass dispersing light into its component colours.

His family revealed he was surrounded by relatives and friends at the time of his death.

"He had been ill for some time with cancer though he had made a remarkable recovery from his stroke in 2003," said a family statement.

Pink Floyd guitarist and vocalist Dave Gilmour said the artworks were "an inseparable part of our work".

"We first met in our early teens," he added.

"We would gather at Sheep's Green, a spot by the river in Cambridge and Storm would always be there holding forth, making the most noise, bursting with ideas and enthusiasm. Nothing has ever really changed.

"He has been a constant force in my life, both at work and in private, a shoulder to cry on and a great friend. I will miss him."

A statement on the Pink Floyd official site added: "We are saddened by the news that long-time Pink Floyd graphic genius, friend and collaborator, Storm Thorgerson, has died."

http://www.abc.net.a...aged-70/4638748

"Our thoughts are with his family and many friends," it said.

#2 +hedleigh

hedleigh

Neowinian

• 519 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 12:03

R.I.P Storm.

I remember buying Ummagumma in 1970 and being amazed by the cover art.
Dark Side cover was a sensation when it was released, I think a lot of people purchased the album for the cover alone.

#3 Eric

Eric

Neowinian Senior

• 13,014 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 12:10

RIP to a great artist. I've got Mars Volta's De-Loused in the Comatorium that he did the cover for sitting right here on my desk.

#4 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 02:55

R.I.P. That has always been one of my favorite cover. Had a poster of it at one time.

#5 Raze

Raze

Mentally Compromised

• 4,861 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 03:24

Rest in peace. I have owned the album, the 8-track, the cassette and 2 CDs. The album art was brilliant in its simplicity.

#6 Boo Berry

Boo Berry

Neowinian Ghost

• 4,209 posts
  • OS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit Mac OS X Yosemite 10.10.1 Ubuntu 14.10 64-bit

Posted 20 April 2013 - 04:07

He's done tons of great covers. Of course he'll be missed. :(