windows 95

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#16 leesmithg

leesmithg

The Major!

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 20 April 2013 - 05:47

Oooooh Windows 95 had the best startup sound of all Windows, by freakin' far. 'Tis was a true work of art. I've had 10 years of formal musical training and I can tell you that it's really epic sweet. Ok? It's good. There.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miZHa7ZC6Z0

Too bad it was compressed in 8-bit wav (like pretty much all sound at that time, mp3 was too heavy to be decoded in real-time, so everything was raw PCM, but mono 8-bit. It was terrible.).

Some insight into its composition (from Raymond Chen's blog):

The sound was very relaxing and therapeutic.

I've added it.

Attached File  1654-Windows_95_Startup-Microsoft-2077254053.zip   96.07KB   199 downloads

Forgot to add, however here is a small file (no installation required) than can change your start-up sound without going through hacks,

#17 +Jack Unterweger

Jack Unterweger

devoted fan of the us-armed forces

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3

Posted 20 April 2013 - 07:05

windows 95?... oh yeah, i remember that one. after installing 3 or 4 programs on the next reboot you automatically got this:
Posted Image

#18 Mohitster

Mohitster

Neowinian

• Phone: Lumia 525

Posted 20 April 2013 - 07:17

Full HD Windows 95 background:

That's my new lockscreen!! HAHA! :D

#19 rwx

rwx

Neowinian

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:43

Windows 98's start up sound is also very melodic. I like both Windows 95's and 98's start up sounds.

#20 thomastmc

thomastmc

Unofficial Attorney of Neowin

• Phone: Lumia 928

Posted 20 April 2013 - 10:16

Uhm wrong hit your windows key-- and tell me the icon's don't fill the screen -- just like it used to be inside a window on the desktop on 3.1. (and you also have to move your cursor to the left and click- so there again it is the extra context switch also)

And I was actually stating how people complained about the icons not being on the desktop anymore... and how people got used to using the start menu but now the icons are back.

Just look at the old Windows 3.1 - especially the Packard Bell version. They used to place all the icons inside a Window that would be on the Desktop- The only separate ones were the control panel.

It would auto maximize filling the screen just like the new Tiles on the New Start menu in Windows 8.

I can actually say that I used Dos 4.0 through Windows 3.1, NT 3.51 , NT 4.0 , 95,98,ME. through Windows 8.

So for me this is the return of the ICONS to the desktop.

I had never thought about the Start screen like that... It's very accurate.

#21 cork1958

cork1958

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 20 April 2013 - 10:50

I personally don't like simple times :) I like technology and advancements. I have sympathy for Windows 95 but I would not use it.

Here's another vote for liking the simple things. I like technology and advancements, but that usually turns into full blown bloat now a days!!

I've always hated those stupid windows startup, log off, log in, shut down sounds are they are still disabled almost immediately to this day!!

@OP:
I haven't seen that logo anywhere in years. Thanks for the flash back

#22 rwx

rwx

Neowinian

Posted 20 April 2013 - 11:26

but that usually turns into full blown bloat now a days!!

Well, that statement is actually quite controversial. It really depends how the technology is implemented.

#23 Brian Miller

Brian Miller

Neowinian Senior

Posted 21 April 2013 - 05:22

I made this for you... 1920 x 1080 :-)

Windows95~2013.png

#24 McKay

McKay

Neowinian Stallion

• Phone: LG G3

Posted 21 April 2013 - 05:30

Here, have a ludicrously high-res Bliss Wallpaper from XP :D

Posted Image

#25 arachnoid

arachnoid

Support the Cat federation against cruel Dogs

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:45

Never did like that Bliss wallpaper it somehow lacked a theme for me

Ah yes Windows 3.1 where you had to install Dos first and manually configure hardware support, those were the days where being a geek was hard work.Windows 95 improved over the three editions and became a lot more user friendly which brought us into Windows 98 multi tasking on onwards and upwards to Windows 8 with its backward steps on user friendliness.In its day Windows 95 was a real innovative eye opener for many used to staring at a blank Dos screen full of white text and nothing in the way of an image or icon.

#26 Pluto is a Planet

Pluto is a Planet

Obviously a planet

Posted 24 April 2013 - 17:33

I uploaded Windows 98's startup a while ago: