What I found in IE11 (Windows 8.1 Build 9369_

ie trident

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#16 Ashleighhank

Ashleighhank

Neowinian

Posted 20 April 2013 - 23:19

WebGL full pieces are not yet implemented, only initial work and also yeah I test HTML5test perfectly, if site has issue then we can't see otherwise all things come up. Let me try newer build now. Lets hope find new stuff or junkies..

chrome gives 468 with html5test by the time IE catches up it will be behind some other features.
so i will stick with chrome/firefox

#17 ACTIONpack

ACTIONpack

Graphic Designer

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 925 (T-Mobile)

Posted 21 April 2013 - 03:37

Its one of the big problem with IE team. They don't see this as a threat but Web designer use these scores to pick on which browser is the best and code around it and then debug the others.

#18 ShadowMajestic

ShadowMajestic

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 21 April 2013 - 04:57

chrome gives 468 with html5test by the time IE catches up it will be behind some other features.

Because the missing features are encounterd so much on the internet....
I code and design sites every now and then, after IE9 it became my default browser to code on. Because if designed on it, it would look great on all the 3 major browsers. While if i focus on Chrome or Fx, much too often the website will display like sh*t on IE but also on Fx (if done in chrome) and on Chrome if done on Fx. I'm sick and tired of the webkid- and mozilla prefixes i have to use. And found that with many CSS items, IE is the only one properly supporting it without using their own stupid implementations.
IE might be limited in HTML5 features, but the features it has, work like a charm and fully according to the W3 specifications.
The only major things i encounter using IE, is WebM and WebGL, both are not HTML5 specs.
And often developers still have the mindset of IE is like IE6. And thus the IE6-8 hacks are used on IE9-10 websites and it makes the website work like cr*p in IE.

IE10 even comes with its a new HTML5 'render' engine, which will attempt to use unfinished HTML5 features like Fx and Chrome do. you can even tell the browser with render version IE should use.

#19 Ashleighhank

Ashleighhank

Neowinian

Posted 21 April 2013 - 14:29

Because the missing features are encounterd so much on the internet....
I code and design sites every now and then, after IE9 it became my default browser to code on. Because if designed on it, it would look great on all the 3 major browsers. While if i focus on Chrome or Fx, much too often the website will display like sh*t on IE but also on Fx (if done in chrome) and on Chrome if done on Fx. I'm sick and tired of the webkid- and mozilla prefixes i have to use. And found that with many CSS items, IE is the only one properly supporting it without using their own stupid implementations.
IE might be limited in HTML5 features, but the features it has, work like a charm and fully according to the W3 specifications.
The only major things i encounter using IE, is WebM and WebGL, both are not HTML5 specs.
And often developers still have the mindset of IE is like IE6. And thus the IE6-8 hacks are used on IE9-10 websites and it makes the website work like cr*p in IE.

IE10 even comes with its a new HTML5 'render' engine, which will attempt to use unfinished HTML5 features like Fx and Chrome do. you can even tell the browser with render version IE should use.

you code and design now and then? I code for living.
IE still is pain in the butt. chrome and FF is easy to code.

#20 Mr Nom Nom's

Mr Nom Nom's

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: iPhone 5S 'Space Grey' (64GB)

Posted 21 April 2013 - 14:44

Figured with silverlight coming to a end, they would have improved on html5 more.

It has been pretty much gradually getting killed off; first it was marketed as an alternative to Flash then they killed that idea then it was marketed as an alternative to Adobe Air on Windows Phone 7 and now that pretty much will come to an end - I'm really wondering at this point what is it going to be used for other than maybe a few niche LOB (Line Of Business) applications but I could imagine Metro picking up that slack as well.

#21 Crimson Rain

Crimson Rain

Neowinian

• Phone: Lumia 1020 Yellow

Posted 21 April 2013 - 19:49

Let me give you an example. Suppose there is a math exam. Which one do you think has no credibility?
1. A test where you show students the questions and they say, "Yes, I can do this math" and "No, I can't do this math." Depending on their answers, you give them marks.
2. A test where you show students the questions and they actually have to do the math AND you verify that their method is correct. Depending on that, you give them marks.

If you didn't know, html5test.com is #1 method described above.

Yet you quote html5test.com...? Must be new.

#22 Ashleighhank

Ashleighhank

Neowinian

Posted 21 April 2013 - 21:32

Yet you quote html5test.com...? Must be new.

what do you expect me to quote. OP quoted html5test so i have to quote it to compare.
do you expect me to post speed test results here for comparision with html5 test? dont be stupid

#23 +_Alexander

_Alexander

Neowinian

• Phone: Nokia 521

Posted 21 April 2013 - 23:01

How is 50+ tab management going for IE11 vs. IE10? IE10 has a major disadvantage where hovering the mouse pointer over the tabs and scrolling does nothing - no tab scrolling.

#24 pack34

pack34

Professional Electron Wrangler

Posted 21 April 2013 - 23:34

what do you expect me to quote. OP quoted html5test so i have to quote it to compare.
do you expect me to post speed test results here for comparision with html5 test? dont be stupid

I believe he was commenting on the validity of html5test.com as an actual standards test for html5.

#25 Crimson Rain

Crimson Rain

Neowinian

• Phone: Lumia 1020 Yellow

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:20

OP used html5test.com to quickly find out what are the (new) things supported or not. The support may be broken/incomplete/incorrect but that is irrelevant for OP's discussion (mostly).

But saying browser X scores over 9000 (in html5test.com) and browser Y does not score over 9000 so I will stick with browser X is stupid.

If you want to compare html5 testing, please find tests that actually tests those features (and also does not test millions of other things that are not html5).

How is 50+ tab management going for IE11 vs. IE10? IE10 has a major disadvantage where hovering the mouse pointer over the tabs and scrolling does nothing - no tab scrolling.

Pretty sure MS does not care about this. Most people do not open more than 10 tabs at a time.

If you need to open a lot of tabs (which is quite rare), just open multiple windows; each containing groups of tabs. This is better than tab scrolling (horizontal/vertical) anyways.

#26 OP +Zlip792

Zlip792

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 9
  • Phone: Nokia C3-00 (8.70 firmware) It sucks!!!

Posted 22 April 2013 - 18:30

I actually did HTML5test for checking new standard support, I know HTML5test is flawed also no where near to perfect, but tell me any other benchmark etc and I will test it on that benchmark. Score for me does not matter, if site renders fine then I am fine with it, even if it scores just 5 points.

#27 OP +Zlip792

Zlip792

Neowinian Senior

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:02

IE11 is quite fast with Web Workers (even in VM) as compare to IE10 desktop realtime..
IE11 - 8.4k ms (rounded off)
IE10 - 12.3k ms
On this benchmark
http://afshinm.github.io/50k/

Sunspider 0.9.1 was 98.5 ms, incredibly fast to be honest. This is for whom it matters, to me it does not.

#28 OP +Zlip792

Zlip792

Neowinian Senior

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:41

With IE11 in Build 9385, I noticed, IE11 is now passing "video.addTextTrack" in rng.io benchmark as well. So they are improving them in standard support perspective even till now. It is good to see.

#29 cetla

cetla

Neowinian

Posted 06 May 2013 - 02:46

I wish the old guards at Microsoft would come to their senses add proper extension support. Devs can do it now, but they'll have to dig into C++ and undocumented apis to get around in IE.

Good things there are devs dedicated enough. I've been using AblockIE trial from mgtek and they've progress along greatly. AdblockIE is probably 2nd to ABP for firefox. Better than ABP for Chrome and Opera in term of features. One negative is that it's paid so not sure if that much people would be willing pay for that over built in TPL.

Ghostery just also released their addon for Ie10 and it's ok, not as fast as adblockie.

#30 spudtrooper

spudtrooper

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nokia 920

Posted 06 May 2013 - 03:25

If you coded for a living, you would code for the broadest usability. IE isn't a pain in the butt to code for any more or less than anything else. Also, why re-invent the wheel for everything when there are plenty of tools available that take away all these pains that cost about as much as 10 hours of your labor?

With Microsoft implementing HTML5 + JavaScript in its core API, it won't be long before everyone else is left behind and if you code for firefox/chrome you're just ignoring a huge market segment.