trag3dy

Neowinian Senior

Posted 20 April 2013 - 01:05

nvm

#17 dvb2000

dvb2000

Neowinian

Posted 20 April 2013 - 01:06

Paul Thurrot from the Winsupersite, confirms Microsoft is in fact adding a boot to desktop and a start button to Windows 8.1!

Here is the link

http://winsupersite....l-it-windows-78

Well there you go. Microsoft get's rid of the roadblocks - Sinofsky and Klein and the other twats who foist a simplistic, juvenile, small screen mobile phone interface onto the desktop/laptop users, and caused billions of dollars in lost sales as a result, and FINALLY some sense prevails at Microsoft.

VERY interesting they call it Windows 8.1 though, as if that is some "magic bullet" so they can claim that Windows 8.x was not a failure like Vista or ME.

#18 +virtorio

virtorio

4089 III

• Tech Issues Solved: 11
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy SIII

Posted 20 April 2013 - 01:06

I'll believe it when I see it. Having a start button breaks down when users start menu using Metro apps.

And hot corners break down whenever I plug in my secondary monitor.

#19 +Audien

Audien

Software Eng.

• Phone: iPhone 5S

Posted 20 April 2013 - 01:14

And hot corners break down whenever I plug in my secondary monitor.

For closing windows they're fine cause of the block. If you're trying to use the charm menu then yeah, it's less than desirable.

#20 LUTZIFER

LUTZIFER

Resident Evil

• Phone: Google Nexus 4

Posted 20 April 2013 - 01:21

It'll only be the button and nothing more, it's a cosmetic change because people aren't use to hot corners yet.

That's one of the dumbest things I've heard. Hot corners have probably been around since before you were born g00f.
It never did make sense that you move your mouse cursor down to the bottom left of screen, wait for little box to pop up, then click it.
Would have been faster just to go down and click a start button like normal.

#21 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 11
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 20 April 2013 - 01:25

That's one of the dumbest things I've heard. Hot corners have probably been around since before you were born g00f.
It never did make sense that you move your mouse cursor down to the bottom left of screen, wait for little box to pop up, then click it.

now THAT is the dumbest thing i've heard. it's exactly the same either way. you move your mouse to bottom left corner and click (you don't have to wait for the pop up before clicking the same as you don't have to wait for the word "start" to appear when you hover over the start button)

#22 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 20 April 2013 - 01:34

You don't have to wait for anything, just click and hot corners are new to Windows, the only thing we had before was aero peek in the lower right which I bet very few even used. Have they been used before? Sure but we're not talking about other systems but Windows, Windows users aren't used to or know about hot corners. If they did they wouldn't have trouble finding the charms.

Oh and keep any insults to yourself.

#23 OP Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Assistant Special Agent Chicken in charge

• Tech Issues Solved: 5
  • Phone: Motorola MicroTAC Elite

Posted 20 April 2013 - 01:43

The hot corners are almost the same as putting your mouse curser in the corners near either the start button and show desktop on Windows 7 and 8! The start screen is very necessary to move forward, but Microsoft should have really taken baby steps by keeping the start button and boot to desktop or at least having options for them!

#24 TPreston

TPreston

Neowinian Senior

• OS: Windows 8.1 Emterprise & Server 2012R2/08R2 Datacenter
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 1520 Black

Posted 20 April 2013 - 01:47

As everyone said I hope its optional otherwise they're just going to **** off people who were happy with the way things are now.

#25 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

Posted 20 April 2013 - 01:57

I'll believe it when I see it. Having a start button breaks down when users start menu using Metro apps.

Same here. If they do bring it back then they'll have to admit that the start screen was a failure. I don't see that happening.

#26 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 20 April 2013 - 02:24

Same here. If they do bring it back then they'll have to admit that the start screen was a failure. I don't see that happening.

The Start Screen isn't a failure. The button would still take user to the Start Screen.

Explain yourself? There's still the Charms, Keyboard, and hardware start button. It may also be optional and may not appear on tablets. But assuming it does, how will it break down? It will only be available in Desktop Environment so I don't know how it would break down for Metro. The Taskbar then, breaks down when people start using Metro apps?????

On the desktop, I would have a start button on the taskbar like before, in Metro apps, users still have the Start Tip. You want to talk about a disjointed UX, there you go.

#27 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/Media Center Pack, Server 2k12 - Core i7 3770K/16GB DDR3/OCZ Vector 256GB/Gigabyte GTX 760
  • Phone: HTC One 64GB

Posted 20 April 2013 - 02:53

On the desktop, I would have a start button on the taskbar like before, in Metro apps, users still have the Start Tip. You want to talk about a disjointed UX, there you go.

So the level of disjointedness was OK up until this announcement? The Start Button is the last straw?

I don't know why anyone would be using the tip in a fullscreen Modern UI app anyway, they should be using the keyboard Win key, or the Charms Bar, or the App Bar to switch apps. That's a lot of options in Modern UI to do the same thing, why not a Start button.

You know what, if it comes back, don't whine and cry about it, I'm getting sick of all the whining and crying on Neowin. Just accept the change! :p /s

As everyone said I hope its optional otherwise they're just going to **** off people who were happy with the way things are now.

Don't be resistant to change.

now THAT is the dumbest thing i've heard. it's exactly the same either way. you move your mouse to bottom left corner and click (you don't have to wait for the pop up before clicking the same as you don't have to wait for the word "start" to appear when you hover over the start button)

That's true, but the power menu is faster than both. Slam low left and right click, no waiting.

#28 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/Media Center Pack, Server 2k12 - Core i7 3770K/16GB DDR3/OCZ Vector 256GB/Gigabyte GTX 760
  • Phone: HTC One 64GB

Posted 20 April 2013 - 03:00

Paul Thurrot from the Winsupersite, confirms Microsoft is in fact adding a boot to desktop and a start button to Windows 8.1!
Here is the link
http://winsupersite....l-it-windows-78

Paul irritates me with this article though I like a little confirmation of these welcome changes. To say this will make it more like Windows 7 that 8 is ridiculous. The Start Page and Modern UI are still there as are the charms and app bars and power menu. And the Start Button will just take you to the Start Page. You can boot to the desktop with Start8 and other tools now. But giving boot to desktop, MS will kickstart enterprise adoption and save consumers $5, and show some goodwill and common sense. And return to their ways of listening to the customer. The Microsoft that released Win 8.0 is not the Microsoft we all know and love. Let's hope Sinofsky really was the problem. I'm sure some of those who worked under him need time to readjust to being customer driven instead of internal corporate power and control driven.

I can promise you, if Windows 8.1 boots to desktop with a GPO setting to enable this as well, we will stop rolling out Windows 7 (provided we are not done yet, and we won't be by Fall), I will switch all of our agencies to skip 7 and go to 8. I'm sure I'm not alone. If we can skip booting to the Start Page, and boot to the desktop, it will be easier to train to click on the start Button and think of Start Page just as a launcher. Would be nice to have some MS tools to automate Start Page configuration including groups and naming.

#29 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 20 April 2013 - 03:05

If I was the Windows Team, I'd be fighting this. When upper management makes design decisions, things never go right.

Then again, Paul Thurrott has been wrong - many times - before. I've honestly stopped reading his blog because of it. He has no more of a clue what's coming, than you or I do.

#30 Windows Nashville

Windows Nashville

Neowinian

Posted 20 April 2013 - 03:13

If I was the Windows Team, I'd be fighting this.

Fighting this? They're lucky they weren't fired en masse for the Windows 8 debacle.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!