Boot to desktop & Start Button Confirmed via Winsupersite

win8

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#31 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/Media Center Pack, Server 2k12 - Core i7 3770K/16GB DDR3/OCZ Vector 256GB/Gigabyte GTX 760
  • Phone: HTC One 64GB

Posted 20 April 2013 - 03:16

Fighting this? They're lucky they weren't fired en masse for the Windows 8 debacle.

Attached Images

• Applause1.gif

#32 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 20 April 2013 - 03:19

Fighting this? They're lucky they weren't fired en masse for the Windows 8 debacle.

There is no debacle. The Start Button is still there, 2 on the desktop, with your usual third hardware key. That's some debacle.

#33 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/Media Center Pack, Server 2k12 - Core i7 3770K/16GB DDR3/OCZ Vector 256GB/Gigabyte GTX 760

Posted 20 April 2013 - 03:24

There is no debacle. The Start Button is still there, 2 on the desktop, with your usual third hardware key. That's some debacle.

I'm guessing he's generalizing about the polarizing response to the hybrid UI, the number of disgruntled customers and not having a choice to boot to desktop and bring back Start Menu (compromising users accept at least a button to got to Start Page), the state of core apps and dearth of Modern UI apps.

I love Mary Jo in the vid, "I mostly use Metro apps, but I want to be in the desktop when I do real work ...", no kidding.

#34 Mohitster

Mohitster

Neowinian

• Phone: Lumia 525

Posted 20 April 2013 - 03:28

This is not an official picture from Microsoft, it is a concept of it I created! This is what the Windows 8 start screen button may look like!

:huh:
NO. Even if Microsoft decides to bring it back, it will "definitely" not look anything like this!

#35 trek

trek

7 / X

Posted 20 April 2013 - 03:47

a button is not good enough. either put the start menu back or make metro start support folders.

#36 Mohitster

Mohitster

Neowinian

• Phone: Lumia 525

Posted 20 April 2013 - 04:27

Same here. If they do bring it back then they'll have to admit that the start screen was a failure. I don't see that happening.

To the end user, it doesn't really matter. He will get the Start Button back. Microsoft will get its sales back. Board members will be happy again.

It's not like Microsoft will have to call a very public press conference for the matter where they will admit to their mistake and they will be made to hang their heads in shame. They might implement it again and say that they did it due to popular opinion. That will be it.

#37 Jolo

Jolo

Neowinian

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 20 April 2013 - 04:42

Very logical decision.

Maybe I don't need the Start Button. Maybe even all of you doesn't want it.

But Microsoft finally notice that there's one BILLION people, using one BILLION personal computers, around the world, or even the UNIVERSE, that MAYBE will still want it to use. And if they can't find it, they will CRY, SCREAM and SHOUT.

Is like the FILE menu, removed in Office 2007 and restored in Office 2010 and Office 2013. Common sense excecutives that finally stops non-global vision developers.

Jolo.

#38 Xerxes

Xerxes

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Galaxy S4 Plus

Posted 20 April 2013 - 04:51

Has the world gone mad and everyone completely forgotten the "windows key" on the keyboard?? I seriously don't understand the fuss about the Start button....

#39 seta-san

seta-san

Neowinian Senior

Posted 20 April 2013 - 04:54

Has the world gone mad and everyone completely forgotten the "windows key" on the keyboard?? I seriously don't understand the fuss about the Start button....

it's not about the start button. Microsoft thinks that by adding a button to go to the start screen will fix the problem... people are still going to be ****ed off without the start menu. I just hope that classic shell can alter it's behavior to give a more natural looking start button.

#40 rfirth

rfirth

Software Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 620

Posted 20 April 2013 - 04:54

Posted Image

Windows 8 Developer Preview was ahead of it's time ;)

#41 Xerxes

Xerxes

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Galaxy S4 Plus

Posted 20 April 2013 - 05:02

it's not about the start button. Microsoft thinks that buy adding a button to go to the start screen will fix the problem... people are still going to be ****ed off without the start menu. I just hope that classic shell can alter it's behavior to give a more natural looking start button.

People are always ****ed off about something though, if MS had decided to play it safe and leave the start button/menu in place and never did the start screen/modern UI people would be complaining MS is stagnant and don't innovate. They cannot win nor can they please everyone. I think we should wait and see what happens with 8.1, for all we know the full start menu might make a return. Anyway, I'm happy for more functionality to added to Win8, always room for improvement (Y)

#42 dvb2000

dvb2000

Neowinian

Posted 20 April 2013 - 05:27

Sinofsky took one for the team, but you're right, Microsoft management needs to get in there and get rid of those defending the new Metro screen, to the detriment of a properly functional desktop/start button/mouse/ NO TOUCH etc.

If I was the Windows Team, I'd be fighting this.

everyone expects you to say this DM.

No one take you seriously any more.

#43 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

Posted 20 April 2013 - 05:40

People are always ****ed off about something though, if MS had decided to play it safe and leave the start button/menu in place and never did the start screen/modern UI people would be complaining MS is stagnant and don't innovate. They cannot win nor can they please everyone. I think we should wait and see what happens with 8.1, for all we know the full start menu might make a return. Anyway, I'm happy for more functionality to added to Win8, always room for improvement (Y)

You're right. In either case, they would have lost. But in this case, they have come out as winners. Some of what was lost was so bad, that the Modern UI couldn't replace, that the only way for them to win with the many they ****ed off, is to give the button back. Not the full menu, just the button and the habit of going there to get to Start. This still brings up Metro and those who say they didn't need it, shouldn't care. It's one icon on a taskbar most of them say they don't need.

Consumers love nothing better than being listened to, and catered to. And America (I know it's a global product) is the land of second chances, we love a tale of redemption. The 800 lb. gorilla that actually walked all over a huge portion of it's loyal base is actually going to come out of this smelling like a rose and being a champion of listening to customers and giving them what they want within reason.

Well ****ing played Microsoft. Well played.

Edit: Even those of us who mandated no Windows 8 upgrades in the enterprise until Windows 8.2 or even 9, will find it difficult to resist now with these two particular concessions. But for me, they also have to carry through with the Modern UI search improvements. That is critical.

#44 Rickkins

Rickkins

Neowinian

• Phone: Galaxy S3

Posted 20 April 2013 - 05:41

I'll believe it when I see it. Having a start button breaks down when users start menu using Metro apps.

Metro apps..... :rolleyes:

#45 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

Posted 20 April 2013 - 05:45

Metro apps..... :rolleyes:

I think you meant Metro tapplets.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!