Boot to desktop & Start Button Confirmed via Winsupersite

I was just telling my Wife about this..

"Oh I am use to the Start screen I't don't worry me"

And this is a Typical User who use to say Windows XP was the BEST for Gameing. and Windows Vista/7/8 where slow)

And... that Start screen thing was Horrable)

Now she won't touch anythiny else.

Simple. Performing the procedure you mention in your post can be done under Vista and 7 without taking up the entire screen, in 8 it cannot.

Why waste time waiting and screen real-estate for a oversized UI when you're not going to look at it anyway?

So all the anger is about visuals in a process that can take seconds? If it takes longer, maybe the full screen is handy to show numerous options depending on the search term.

So all the anger is about visuals in a process that can take seconds? If it takes longer, maybe the full screen is handy to show numerous options depending on the search term.

yet they are re-unifying search in blue (like it is in 7) since those other options made search inefficient.

Unlikely, if a user is searching then they know what they want to find. Showing numerous options defeats the point of searching in the first place

If they indeed decide to bring in the options to boot to the desktop first, I sure hope they make it disabled as default. Now that I've seen how great the Start Screen is, I can't see myself booting to the Desktop anymore. Why would I do that, when all my apps, favorites and folders are all right there when I need it.

Microsoft is never going to win. They don't let you boot to Desktop by default, the people who hate Windows 8 are going to continue to complain. They let you boot to the Desktop by default, all the people who love the Start screen are going to complain.

, all the people who love the Start screen are going to complain.

yeh all 5 of them

compared to the millions who want it back to "normal"

the very fact that 6 month after release and there is still massive debate means that its not a widely accepted feature and people don't see the need to adapt, windows should adapt to the way you use it not the other way around.

if people accepted it we wont be hearing about it.

lots of people mention how there was debate about 95,98,xp etc. however computers were not as mainstream as they are now, they were still somewhat of a nerdy hobby.

now every man and his dog has a pc and an opinion, MS were delusional to think people will just accept.

everywhre I look on fb , youtube, various forums there is debate about win8,

then add in my personal experience, and pretty much everyone I have installed win8 for has had negative things to say..

• Like 1

As long as whatever changes they make can be tweaked, it's fine. I happen to like Windows 8 the way it is right now, and wouldn't use a Start button if one was offered. (Especially as the hot corner works the same way.) Adding it would be a good idea, but let it be a toggle, so those who don't want it can turn it off. As to what the default behavior should be, I'd imagine it would probably be smarter to have it showing.

my question...how much will it cost? Why torture win8 owners with a tease of so called "8.1"? That should be a slight update, like XP RTM vs. XP-SP2. I think it should be free to update to 8.1, but I'm starting to have a lot of doubts. I use 8 on a laptop, and I don't know....I want to really like it, but for some reason, I just cannot. 7 seems better IMO, and I mean MY opinion. YMMV, to each his/her own. I don't hate what others prefer, I'm just a lone grain of sand, just like anyone else on this planet...so take my comment as the same, I'm not trying to hate on anything. I respect other neowinians, their opinions, and their right to say what they want (to a certain extent, hehe!) At the end of the day, though, I'm so lucky to be a part of such a great, expansive, and world-wide forum! Thanks, @Neobond! (First and foremost)

I bet we'll see some type of folder option in the start screen before you ever see the start menu back. If you really want a menu there are free and paid options to do so, get that. MS doesn't have to offer every single thing you can think of in the OS.

Good, finally I can bring the menu FAST with my mouse (and avoiding those horrible hot corners), I would like to have aero too if it's not much to ask.... but at least this is a good improvement over the previous "you will use what I want you to use" attitude of ms in the past days. (Eat that Dot Matrix)

This is not an official picture from Microsoft, it is a concept of it I created! This is what the Windows 8 start screen button may look like!

post-455563-0-34330100-1366416044.png

You need something with a bit of colour in it, this is how mine currently looks on Windows 8.

2lk9x1e.jpg

The other day I was talking to a Director who was ranting about Windows 8 and how hard it was to find an application. I mentioned to do the WinKey tap and start typing, just like you could in Windows 7, the response was... you could do that in Windows 7?

Because normal people rarely if ever did that. They clicked the Start button and started typing. And will be able to do that in Win 8.1 even if the Start Menu doesn't return, which there is no indication it will.

You need something with a bit of colour in it, this is how mine currently looks on Windows 8.

2lk9x1e.jpg

My taskbar looks exactly like the one in xp.

2lk9x1e.jpg

May I ask what theme you use? That looks nice^^

And finally a step in the right direction by Microsoft so long they also allow people who don't like it (I like it :p) to disable it as they please. Now just let me set the start-screen and metro-apps to non-fullscreen and I personally am happy^^ And to give a example as to why I don't like fullscreening things, lets say I watch a video right now and someone asks me to log-on to Skype, in Windows 7 I can just keep watching the movie, open the start-menu, type sky and press enter without anything obscuring my view, in Windows 8 sadly not so much :/ And before anyone asks why I would Skype and watch something at the same time... well I can do more than one thing at a time :p

Oh also before I forget it since I can almost hear the question already asking "Why don't you pin Skype to the taskbar or the desktop?" Well that's a valid question I just don't use Skype all that much to give it a fixed shortcut place and writing "sky" + ENTER is easy enough^^

win8_tp_0016.jpg

Windows 8 Developer Preview was ahead of it's time ;)

If anything, I think this is what the button will look like. If the button even happens at all. Personally, despite all this noise, I don't think it'll happen. The Start Tip works well, and I enjoy the extra space on the taskbar. It's just not needed anymore.

I bet we'll see some type of folder option in the start screen before you ever see the start menu back. If you really want a menu there are free and paid options to do so, get that. MS doesn't have to offer every single thing you can think of in the OS.

The day folders come back to Start is the day I quit. A folder structure is the last thing an app launcher needs, and it breaks the idea of live tiles being there when you start up, and people shouldn't really need to dig for the stuff they need. It's a bad UX all around. Start right now, offers nice grouping options, as MorganX pointed out in a post of his.

The problem is that the start screen can turn into a very long row for people over time, and while zoom kinda works for now there's still other ways I'm sure. Adding support for smaller tiles can save space as well but we'll see.

Enjoyed watching Windows Weekly show and listening to Paul and Mary Jo. It seems as though MS did get ahead of themselves somewhat, if in fact we see what Paul was saying about the Boot and START being "possibly" released in the Pro and Enterprise versions (Intended for the business model) which Mary Jo said would be a way to get business's to more comfortably bridge that gap from XP to W8. This gets back to the initial release of how Microsoft should of presented, advertised and released Windows 8, which should of been done in different flavors. Your Core version for home and causal users and then your professional business model,

Dot Matrix, I thought you evolved with times? Your arguments against changes in 8.1 sound a lot like those coming from 7 to 8.

I think a button alone is fine myself, if they rework the Metro start to be a little bit more obvious that right click brings you to all apps.

I think that would go a long way in helping the masses.

It'd be kinda cool if they kept the look the same as Win8..

If you are in the desktop mode a 'hover-over' or slide-in 'start' button would appear as big as the taskbar icon win7 has, loading up a 'mini' start-screen or 'shifting' the current taskbar to the side/up to bring out a menu system similar to Win95-win7 had... When in metro environment, its the full screen one like win8 is now.

I really like how the older versions of windows unified everything into one bar for all the tasks... not 2.

I honestly don't understand what the fuss is about. My 60-yr-old mother complained about Windows 7 like the plague. She loves Windows 8 and knows how to use all the hot corners correctly. She has a Win8 computer for about a month and a half now and got used to the new start menu stuff in the first DAY.

I really don't understand why people want to go back so much. I like the new Windows UI.

The whole problem with Windows 8 is the lack of visual cues to show you where certain UI elements are. A UI is supposed to empower the user, not make them feel stupid. That's where Windows 8 fails. Every single time I've sat a first time user in front of Windows 8, they know how to get to the desktop right away via the tile but after that they're completely and utterly lost. I even had one tell me wow this OS is horrible, it's making me feel like an idiot.

There was a comment a while back by Tammy Reller at MS and she said something about telemetry showing that new users found the charms "in about an hour". Excuse me? It's not something to be proud of when the average user takes an HOUR to find your UI. That means you failed miserably as UX designers and need to go back to the drawing board.