Boot to desktop & Start Button Confirmed via Winsupersite

If I was the Windows Team, I'd be fighting this.

Of course you would.

The day folders come back to Start is the day I quit.

Quit what? Microsoft?

Of course you would.

Quit what? Microsoft?

Dot Matrix is actually a great UX design resource. You just take everything he says, and then do the opposite.

The whole problem with Windows 8 is the lack of visual cues to show you where certain UI elements are. A UI is supposed to empower the user, not make them feel stupid. That's where Windows 8 fails.

100% agree and I think thats where 8 went wrong, it worried me that there are designers at MS that are happy to over simplfy some aspects of the OS to the point where there are no detailed options and yet hide the basics on the desktop.

Now can we please get an option to permanently disable the hot corners while in desktop? Then I can finally uninstall Start 8 and be happy. I do not care about Start Menu vs Start Screen, but the current implementation is just plain idiotic.

Good, finally I can bring the menu FAST with my mouse (and avoiding those horrible hot corners), I would like to have aero too if it's not much to ask.... but at least this is a good improvement over the previous "you will use what I want you to use" attitude of ms in the past days. (Eat that Dot Matrix)

Just out of curiosity, why don't you find hot corners fast? They would appear to adhere to Fitt's Law, which says things located on the edges or in corners have infinite height. You just fly your cursor to the bottom left, click, and you're on the Start screen.

Aero is also in Windows 8, just not the Aero Glass theme. I'm sure this is what you meant, but just to clarify.

The whole problem with Windows 8 is the lack of visual cues to show you where certain UI elements are. A UI is supposed to empower the user, not make them feel stupid. That's where Windows 8 fails. Every single time I've sat a first time user in front of Windows 8, they know how to get to the desktop right away via the tile but after that they're completely and utterly lost. I even had one tell me wow this OS is horrible, it's making me feel like an idiot.

There was a comment a while back by Tammy Reller at MS and she said something about telemetry showing that new users found the charms "in about an hour". Excuse me? It's not something to be proud of when the average user takes an HOUR to find your UI. That means you failed miserably as UX designers and need to go back to the drawing board.

Umm Win8 shows you where the charm bar is and how to get it along with the hotspots the first time you start the machine. However, granted that there lies the issue because if the user is not concentrating (or in a rush) they can easily miss it. Personally I would have had that video appear everytime you log on and have a "don't show this again" checkbox (or button) to dismiss it permanently after the user is comfortable. I don't really think this is a UX fail but more a fail in educating the users in how to use it. This issue could of easily been corrected if MS put more effort into the tutorial/first boot experience to make it more welcoming. Well that is my 2 cents anyway, take with a grain of salt.

EDIT: To be honest they need to bring back the tips thing they had back in the Win95/98 days, that gave tips/tricks/tutorials to help users make the most out of Windows. Power Users can just dismiss it and would be an invaluable resource for the users who needed it.

Good, finally I can bring the menu FAST with my mouse (and avoiding those horrible hot corners), I would like to have aero too if it's not much to ask.... but at least this is a good improvement over the previous "you will use what I want you to use" attitude of ms in the past days. (Eat that Dot Matrix)

You do know you can bring it up even FASTER with the "Windows key" right? while it is nice to have a button on screen to click on it's not actually necessary. The Windows key has been with us since Win95 yet is like people seem to forget it's there...

You do know you can bring it up even FASTER with the "Windows key" right? while it is nice to have a button on screen to click on it's not actually necessary. The Windows key has been with us since Win95 yet is like people seem to forget it's there...

I usually just almost do everything with my mouse, as a gamer I tend to use a lot of commands, however a key commonly hated is precisely the left windows key, (so much that my mechanical keyboard Corsair K90 even has a dedicated button just to disable it), mouse is simply far efficient, Y normally don't rest both my hands on the desk, instead I just the right one for the mouse since it allows me to extend and rest the whole right arm, and also my mouse has a 5600 DPI, so it's virtually a 2cm movement to hit the start button.

Not everybody likes to have two hands on keyboard when just navigating through basic stuff on PC. (note, I also code and still find some commands quite useful, but again, none with the windows key in it)

I usually just almost do everything with my mouse, as a gamer I tend to use a lot of commands, however a key commonly hated is precisely the left windows key, (so much that my mechanical keyboard Corsair K90 even has a dedicated button just to disable it), mouse is simply far efficient, Y normally don't rest both my hands on the desk, instead I just the right one for the mouse since it allows me to extend and rest the whole right arm, and also my mouse has a 5600 DPI, so it's virtually a 2cm movement to hit the start button.

Not everybody likes to have two hands on keyboard when just navigating through basic stuff on PC. (note, I also code and still find some commands quite useful, but again, none with the windows key in it)

Fair enough. As a fellow gamer I can attest to the annoyance of the windows key as well (it's definitely a double edged sword that key), particularly back in the XP days and earlier (when games were not as multi-tasking friendly). One accidental press of that button often ended in one of two situations; locked up machine (forced restart needed) or the game simply crashes to desktop (if your lucky). Even with modern games (and machines) which you can run more then one game at once if so you desired, it still annoying at times to suddenly find yourself at the desktop for no apparent reason because you accidentally hit that key.

I feel Windows 8 with a start Menu and boot to direct desktop would be so much more efficient. Keep them as options though, don't replace the Metro/Modern UI with the the Start Menu/Boot to direct desktop, they should still capitalize on their Modern UI, allow the users such as myself to have a choice of having boot to direct and start menu as the defaults in Windows 8. It should have been there from the beginning.

It's a great operating system, but the Modern UI is just so crap on a PC. I don't have a touch screen monitor so it's useless. For me I don't use it full time, so I shouldn't complain as I dual booted it with Windows 7 and Ubuntu but I am getting used to it though, but it's just a mess I think at the moment. Windows 8.1 could correct that mistake that they made.

It's a great operating system, but the Modern UI is just so crap on a PC.

It's not crap, just poorly executed, implemented, and poorly utilized. There's good indication the UI itself will get better on the Desktop per the Blue leaks, there is however, no indication Modern UI apps for the desktop will get better or arrive en masse. Tapplets for Tablets and Phones that run on a desktop are not Modern UI apps for the desktop. And that's fine, if MS improves the Modern UI so that it's not so obtrusive or much less efficient (primarily search and multitasking) then who cares if there are never any "real" Modern UI apps for desktop productivity or serious gaming.

Paul Thurrot from the Winsupersite, confirms Microsoft is in fact adding a boot to desktop and a start button to Windows 8.1!

We've Won Lads !!! :woot:

We've Won Lads !!! :woot:

Well played Microsoft, well played. ;>

Sounds like a little bit of sanity is finally coming to Windows 8. Not a minute too soon, either.

Understatement!

The whole problem with Windows 8 is the lack of visual cues to show you where certain UI elements are. A UI is supposed to empower the user, not make them feel stupid. That's where Windows 8 fails. Every single time I've sat a first time user in front of Windows 8, they know how to get to the desktop right away via the tile but after that they're completely and utterly lost. I even had one tell me wow this OS is horrible, it's making me feel like an idiot.

There was a comment a while back by Tammy Reller at MS and she said something about telemetry showing that new users found the charms "in about an hour". Excuse me? It's not something to be proud of when the average user takes an HOUR to find your UI. That means you failed miserably as UX designers and need to go back to the drawing board.

Perfect... People need to remember that the average users don't belong to Neowin.net.

How Real People Will Use Windows 8