Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 vs iPad 2 MKV

AC3 seems to have been removed from most if not all apps from the app store, and so I can no longer put my mkv videos on my ipad for my long train rides. :(

I only use the ipad for mkv playback, streaming video and internet browsing and so this is a massive blow for me.

Rather than jailbreaking once it becomes available for my ios version would I be better off getting a Samsung galaxy tab 2 10.1 ?

I know very little about android but it's my understanding that the tab 2 should have no problem playing back these files and that I could "root" the device to basically install whatever I wanted anyway.

I've had a very quick paly with the tab 2 in a shop and it seemed a little choppy flicking between the app icon screens, but seeing as the ipad 2 goes for about ?200 on ebay and the tab 2 is about ?250 new the tab would only cost me ?50 and I'd no longer have to chase around with iTunes, have expandable memory and a fancy remote for the tv :)

Is this a good option, specifically for mkv playback or am I just getting excited at the prospect of a new piece of hardware to play with?

The nexus 10 is about ?100 more expensive so is out of the question, as is the surface or note before anyone suggests those :)