Why the return of the Start button is far more problematic than _____.

Except they made it 1 pixel. So users that move their mouse JUST a little end up opening up Internet Explorer instead.

Not true. It is at least 10x10 pixels on my 1680x1050 screen. I recollect they said that the hit target is same size as 7 and prior.

But without a visual cue, users can be just a few pixels out from the hot corner box and have nothing happen.

They is a visual cue.

You right click an object (YOU CAN SEE) to display contextual options. And there are plenty of novice users who have no idea what a context menu is for.

No you don't. I can click anywhere on the desktop, I can click anywhere in Firefox or Internet Explorer, I can click anywhere in Word.

bb-TooManyToolbars.jpg

6952934817_7f70ffbbbc_z.jpg

You're clutching at straws there.

Huh? If they restore start button, you will still need to move your mouse into the LL corner to click it :huh:

Mouse movement is more to do with the navigation of the start page as I have to use the scoll bars instead of just having the menus expand as I moved my mouse over them.

Im all for innovation, the start menu was basic, I just think the start page is just bigger start menu and now requires a lot more movement across my wide screen. I truly hope it continues to evolve but I must be honest and say it takes longer with the start page to get to something than it did with the start menu, and as developers, MS should feel bad about that.

Is Windows 8 truly worth the upgrade if you have Windows 7! I am looking for an honest opinion!

bb-TooManyToolbars.jpg

6952934817_7f70ffbbbc_z.jpg

And that should end this ridiculous branch of the thread. Seriously, search the web for the most atypical example of disorganized desktop or Start Page to make an obscure meaningless point?

Is Windows 8 truly worth the upgrade if you have Windows 7! I am looking for an honest opinion!

For $40 or less absolutely. Tougher call at full retail. But MS did make it available cheap for a long time. I told everyone, love it or hate it, you're a fool not to buy a license to the next version of Windows at those price.

Edit: If MS extends the discount again, don't be a fool twice.

Im all for innovation, the start menu was basic, I just think the start page is just bigger start menu and now requires a lot more movement across my wide screen. I truly hope it continues to evolve but I must be honest and say it takes longer with the start page to get to something than it did with the start menu, and as developers, MS should feel bad about that.

You can't have a mouse yet be afraid or hesitant to move it around. That's what it was designed to do. Increasing your tracking will solve this problem.

And as screen resolutions get larger, this issue is only going to get worse, no matter what OS you use. If you're a user and have your mouse on the slowest possible setting, you're in for a world of hurt.

And that should end this ridiculous branch of the thread. Seriously, search the web for the most atypical example of disorganized desktop or Start Page to make an obscure meaningless point?

For $40 or less absolutely. Tougher call at full retail. But MS did make it available cheap for a long time. I told everyone, love it or hate it, you're a fool not to buy a license to the next version of Windows at those price.

Edit: If MS extends the discount again, don't be a fool twice.

I originally upgraded a much older dell desktop to Windows 8 then I bought a much more powerful that has Windows 7 and now I have a license sitting around. I bought Windows 8 for $15, yes $15 (i kind of lied), and it was much better than Vista. I now realize the start screen is the start menu, and have accepted it now. I am thinking of upgrading my Asus laptop. The only thing I am worried about is the lack of media codecs such as dvds and mpeg4!

You can't have a mouse yet be afraid to move it around. That's what it was designed to do. Increasing your tracking will solve this problem.

I dont agree, just because I have a car doesnt mean I should travel further in order to get to the same destination.

Judging by your post and comment history, I'm gonna guess you've already completely made up your mind on this one.

• Like 2

I originally upgraded a much older dell desktop to Windows 8 then I bought a much more powerful that has Windows 7 and now I have a license sitting around. I bought Windows 8 for $15, yes $15 (i kind of lied), and it was much better than Vista. I now realize the start screen is the start menu, and have accepted it now. I am thinking of upgrading my Asus laptop. The only thing I am worried about is the lack of media codecs such as dvds and mpeg4!

I'm pretty sure the standard free codec packs are available in Interspace.

if you want to play dvds and mpegs just install VLC or MPC-HC, they're both better than WMP for playing videos anyway

I dont agree, just because I have a car doesnt mean I should travel further in order to get to the same destination.

Then you're stuck. If you don't want to move your mouse, that's a screen size/ratio issue, and not an OS issue. You either want to the large screen space, or you don't. The Start Screen is designed to take advantage of new, larger screens. They offer a ton of space that is being wasted by outdated design features.

Judging by your post and comment history, I'm gonna guess you've already completely made up your mind on this one.

Yes, I have made up my mind, I think I might upgrade because of the speed increase! Windows 7 came out in 2009, Windows 8 came out in 2012!

Then you're stuck. If you don't want to move your mouse, that's a screen size/ratio issue, and not an OS issue. You either want to the large screen space, or you don't. The Start Screen is designed to take advantage of new, larger screens. They offer a ton of space that is being wasted by outdated design features.

Design can make use of space but can also increase efficiency. When you find yourself scrolling across multiple screens in order to achieve something which required minimum movement in the past then you surely must question the change.

I was always highly critical of Windows 8 before, but then after thinking and reading people's posts, I am seriously considering the switch. I like to edit videos and I want to make sure I can do that in WIndows 8!

Design can make use of space but can also increase efficiency. When you find yourself scrolling across multiple screens in order to achieve something which required minimum movement in the past then you surely must question the change.

Then try your mouse's scroll wheel. It can scroll the screen to the tile you're looking for, with minimal effort.

Then try your mouse's scroll wheel. It can scroll the screen to the tile you're looking for, with minimal effort.

I dont have one due to the RSI

I was always highly critical of Windows 8 before, but then after thinking and reading people's posts, I am seriously considering the switch. I like to edit videos and I want to make sure I can do that in WIndows 8!

I'm tellin' ya, for real. If MS follows through and puts the Start Button back, allows Boot-to-Dekstop, and streamlines and unifies Modern UI search, people will be shocked and how fast Windows 8 updates and buzz turns around. It might even be worth a re-launch when Blue arrives if they do those things.

Windows 8 is like windows 7's brother with special athletic abilities!

Windows 8 is like windows 7's brother with special athletic abilities!

or Windows 8 is like Windows 7's mentally handicapped brother. :)

• Like 3

I'm willing to bet numerous people coming off Windows 3.1 complained about the Start button being ADDED to Windows 95.

I'm willing to bet numerous people coming off Windows 3.1 complained about the Start button being ADDED to Windows 95.

They did, actually. There were people who complained that Program Manager was superior.

I also had a college professor complain DAILY about computer GUIs, and that they should have been optional.

They did, actually. There were people who complained that Program Manager was superior.

I also had a college professor complain DAILY about computer GUIs, and that they should have been optional.

Yet...MS allowed the user to choose between Program Manager and the Start Button. Heck progman.exe was included all the way up to XP SP2 (if I recall correctly). Unlike MS ripping out the start menu and forcing people to use MUI in Win8...they didn't rip out Program Manager and force people to use the Start Menu.

Yet...MS allowed the user to choose between Program Manager and the Start Button. Heck progman.exe was included all the way up to XP SP2 (if I recall correctly). Unlike MS ripping out the start menu and forcing people to use MUI in Win8...they didn't rip out Program Manager and force people to use the Start Menu.

There was never any option to switch it on, though. You had the Start Menu and that was it.

I don't care about any ol' start button, I just want Microsoft to always sell OS upgrades cheap. $39.99 or the "special" @ $14.99 heck yes!

I do agree though, the learning curve for Win 8 was brutal, took me at least a half a day to figure it out. /s ;)