Solution to get rid Windows 8 haters

Provide an option using the installation or in the control panel to choose between the start menu or start screen. Keeping everybody happy. Windows 95 did this and eventually people switched to the new Ul and the older Ul was no longer needed so it was removed from Windows XP SP2. :)

zmic7a.jpg

I find it quite hilarious how sensitive Windows 8 fans are.

Question: Why do they care? Aren't they aware most of us are just pushing their buttons?

Lighten up, Windows 8 lovers. ;)

Decent suggestion, OP.

I don't even remember ever seeing that...

You have to select custom setup (vs. typical, portable, etc) to get to the User Interface to select either program manager or explorer.

You could do it after Win9x install by changing system.ini line "shell=Progman.exe"

Question: Why do they care? Aren't they aware most of us are just pushing their buttons?

Decent suggestion, OP.

Don't know, guess some members are pushing the buttons way to hard.

• Like 1

No, more like some members rush to defend windows 8 against any little bit of criticism thrown at it. It's worse than Mactards.

Decent suggestion, OP.

You could say the same about Windows 8 Haters. Why hate something you're not using or even plan to use. And most windows 8 haters just flame over windows 8 because they can.

I'd like both sides to stop, Im fine with people expressing their opinions about it, it's a little annoying having 500 separate threads with people saying "I don't like the start screen, I wish the start menu was back". But thats their opinion and they're entitled to it. It's funny when people try and put their opinion across as fact.

It's gotten as bad as the people who are still clinging onto XP when the date for support end draws closer, who get up in arms when programs began to stop supporting it. At least those have died down though, I expect them to resurface nearer to the final end date though.

No, more like some members rush to defend windows 8 against any little bit of criticism thrown at it. It's worse than Mactards.

I get what you mean but unfortunately most the criticisms are not constructed very well. :/

• Like 2

You know, it's kinda funny how the Windows 8 fanatics call the ones who don't like it "Windows 8 Haters", but doesn't that also make themselves "Windows 7 Haters"?

How is one better than the other?

• Like 3

What is there not to like about windows 8? I was very critical of it then i realized the start screen is exactly like the start menu, and start button is still really there but hidden, and it can run programs all the way back to the 1990s. I think the start screen is much more sophisticated and organized, and windows 8's new flat gui is much nicer too. What MS should do is add the ability to boot to dos :woot:

• Like 2

You know, it's kinda funny how the Windows 8 fanatics call the ones who don't like it "Windows 8 Haters", but doesn't that also make themselves "Windows 7 Haters"?

How is one better than the other?

I like all versions Windows, so no.

Also I am just providing a suggestion that would keep everyone happy.

• Like 2

You cannot push a button hard it a simple on or off switch

On a serious note I thought Microsoft was adapting the software for consumer ease of use, not forcing consumers to modify their actions to accommodate the software.

You cannot push a button hard it a simple on or off switch

On a serious note I thought Microsoft was adapting the software for consumer ease of use, not forcing consumers to modify their actions to accommodate the software.

Which is what Microsoft is trying to do with Blue.

• Like 1

DS5LsyR.jpg

Is this a real screenshot??

Is this a real screenshot??

No. It's a mock up of how simple it would be for Microsoft make everyone happy.

Enable exclusive mode for either;

- Windows 8 UI only

No access to desktop, a bit like kiosk mode but with full access to everything Metro.

- Desktop only.

Ignoring the need for charms, quick switch and the other slide menus. It allows space for start menu and start button.

Or leave exclusive mode off and use it how it is now.

• Like 1

Provide an option using the installation or in the control panel to choose between the start menu or start screen. Keeping everybody happy. Windows 95 did this and eventually people switched to the new Ul and the older Ul was no longer needed so it was removed from Windows XP SP2. :)

i'd really settle for an obscure registry key

haha - good one, and if we had a proper start button/menu we wouldn't need to push THEIR buttons :)

i'd really settle for an obscure registry key

Can't do that, the windows development team wouldn't see it on their "telemetry" that's telling them no one uses the start button any more.

(I think they are reading the telemetry from smart phones though, not desktop/laptop users, anyway, just in a failed attempt to try and prove a point. I know I have all options to send info back to Microsoft turned off, so they aren't getting any telemetry from me.)

The reason you hear so much from people that don't like Windows 8 is because a lot of us actually work in the tech business and therefore have to deal with it even if we don't use it at home. This isn't a case of "Well just don't use it!". So I should quit my job because I'm not allowed to give feedback over a massive downturn in usability? Whether you can play Angry Birds and browse Facebook just as easily in Windows 8, it's a pain in the ass for a lot of us who don't want our workflow interrupted by space wasting start screens and gaudy Metro apps.

And it wouldn't be so bad if they weren't forcing this UI on the server versions of Windows which is beyond stupidity, honestly. If they had a huge suite of incredibly useful live tiles that gave all the vital details of your server, you could make an argument, but they don't, they have just a handful of icons showing by default and a ton of wasted space. Hell, the perfect solution to me would be to run a server version that keeps the old style. Then I could just use the server version as a workstation when I didn't like Metro.