Photo

Modern high-end Android phones with a removable battery?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#16 CJ33

CJ33

Neowinian

Posted 21 April 2013 - 16:29

Not sure what you all are doing to your batteries, I have an original Galaxy S that still holds charge and lasts most of the day under normal usage
I've never had a battery need to be replaced because it lost charge, and I'm on my 6th or so smartphone

maybe your switching phones so often you dont notice it? I encourage you to google "battery swelling" and you will see that I am not alone. This is pretty common, and certainly was not resolved before smartphones became "popular". My current phone, Galaxy S2 (sprint) had the same issue, and required a new battery. You will find TONS of posts of people on XDA with the same problem. Just b/c it hasnt happened to you, doesnt mean that it doesnt happen to others.

here's an iphone 3gs that was posted on reddit.

Posted Image

#17 OP Elliot B.

Elliot B.

Over 13 years on Neowin

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5

Posted 21 April 2013 - 17:12

maybe your switching phones so often you dont notice it? I encourage you to google "battery swelling" and you will see that I am not alone. This is pretty common, and certainly was not resolved before smartphones became "popular". My current phone, Galaxy S2 (sprint) had the same issue, and required a new battery. You will find TONS of posts of people on XDA with the same problem. Just b/c it hasnt happened to you, doesnt mean that it doesnt happen to others.

here's an iphone 3gs that was posted on reddit.

<image snipped>

You can tell that iPhone was battered over its life, though.

#18 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

Posted 21 April 2013 - 17:16

They are absolutely necessary for many people. It's frustrating being away from home for the day and having your battery die on you.

Get a higher capacity battery, you can get higher rated batteries for the S3 that come with a new back cover that bulges out slightly.

Posted Image
3000MaH one on left, original 2100MaH on the right.

#19 CJ33

CJ33

Neowinian

Posted 21 April 2013 - 17:16

You can tell that iPhone was battered over its life, though.

regardless, that doesnt change the issue at hand. Batteries have not been perfected as was claimed. They still do swell up. Having the ability to swap a battery is a very nice feature, not only b/c a person can use an external charger and never have to worry about plugging up their phone near a wall, but b/c batteries do go bad eventually and its nice to be able to get to it without having to take the phone completely apart, (although I have no issue with doing that, and have done it several times).

#20 AJerman

AJerman

Boomer Sooner!

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 21 April 2013 - 17:18

So now your advocating against walking around with a battery, which are reasonably small, instead opting for people to walk around with a cellphone charger? Charging for 15 mins? Really? Do you understand the harmful effects that has on the battery's lifespan? Not everyone can keep a cell phone on a charger at work, just fyi.

What? I don't think you read what I said very well. I'm not talking about a cell phone wall charger, I'm talking about an external battery to charge with. And charging for 15 minutes doesn't hurt it in the slightest. Not to mention, most non-removable batteries aren't really that difficult to replace if you really have to. I find it rare that modern Litium Ion batteries go bad before the the lifespan of the device is up these days, though I do know it happens. My Macbook battery is sitting on my counter bulged up needing to be discarded and replaced, but it was probably 4-5 years old before that happened.

The best way to keep your phone battery from looking like any of the ones pictured is to not leave it on the charger for prolonged periods of time.

#21 greenwizard88

greenwizard88

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 21 April 2013 - 17:33

I find it rare that modern Litium Ion batteries go bad before the the lifespan of the device is up these days, though I do know it happens. My Macbook battery is sitting on my counter bulged up needing to be discarded and replaced, but it was probably 4-5 years old before that happened.

My current phone is 3 year old, and the phone before that lasted for 4+ years. My current laptop is about a year old, but the only reason it was replaced was because a 5 year old laptop was stolen. My desktop PC was built in 2009, and my game systems are all from before 2009.

In the instance of every-single-electronic-item that I own, having a 2 or 3 year ticking time-bomb would cause a premature end of life of the device.

#22 Roger H.

Roger H.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 20
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 21 April 2013 - 18:14

regardless, that doesnt change the issue at hand. Batteries have not been perfected as was claimed. They still do swell up. Having the ability to swap a battery is a very nice feature, not only b/c a person can use an external charger and never have to worry about plugging up their phone near a wall, but b/c batteries do go bad eventually and its nice to be able to get to it without having to take the phone completely apart, (although I have no issue with doing that, and have done it several times).

If your battery was swollen i'm sure the manufacturer would replace it for free, the last thing they want is a PR nightmare about phones exploding in peoples pockets/purses.

I've had my SGS2 for about 2yrs now and still don't need to swap batteries, lasts all day long just the same as when I first got it.

Got my Nexus 4 without even thinking about it.

-------

To the op though and on topic..

The SGS3 and 4 seems to be your only option really, all of the newest phones seems to have batteries built in lately.

#23 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:54

Honestly I'd rather have a charger at work/car/home then carry around another battery with me all the time and have to worry about keeping 2 things charged... good point.

I usually keep a charger nearby but rarely need one on my Note 2.It's not a big deal if I do need one.

#24 Jason Stillion

Jason Stillion

Neowinian

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:00

So far, I think I can only see that the Samsung Galaxy S3 and S4 offer this :(

Galaxy Nexus has removable battery.

#25 rwx

rwx

Neowinian

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:21

I feel your pain! I agree! All brands that use high-quality materials and make good looking high-end phones make phones with non-removable batteries :( HTC One, Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, LG Optimus G etc... We don't have a choice. Why Sony? Why HTC? Why LG? Although tempting, I personally will not be buying any of these phones and will be sticking with the ugly looking GS4 and why is this? Because of flexibility. If Sammy made a non-removable battery phone, I would have gone with one of the other companies' phones but now I will wait until the price of GS4 drops and will be buying that instead all because of removable battery + expandable storage. Also, USB OTG is a must! I am not in a hurry to get a new phone so I may as well wait until the price of SGS4 drops.

#26 LUTZIFER

LUTZIFER

Resident Evil

• Phone: Google Nexus 4

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:31

They are absolutely necessary for many people. It's frustrating being away from home for the day and having your battery die on you.

For the day? The standby time any phone nowadays is like a week. Straight talk time is almost a days usage now.

#27 OP Elliot B.

Elliot B.

Over 13 years on Neowin

Posted 22 April 2013 - 11:44

For the day? The standby time any phone nowadays is like a week. Straight talk time is almost a days usage now.

I use my phone lots. Videos/music/Facebook/Web on the train, Google Maps to find my way around a place, camera to take photos of things etc.

Clearly we use phones in different ways, and in the ways I use them, I now need a phone with a removable battery.

#28 branney

branney

Resident One Post Wonder

Posted 11 November 2013 - 22:01

I am in the same boat as King Mustard.

Satnav seems to eat the most battery, but browsing and photos on top of that do not help!

Also, contrary to what some people believe, it is bad for the battery to fully discharge.

I was doing this on the N8 and had to replace the battery after about a year.

I have not had to do this on the 808 after the same length of time, as I am more careful not to do this.

I found an external battery extremely useful but also annoying having it hanging.

I also find a removable battery useful when my phone crashes.

My partner has Note 2 and SG3 but I don't find the cameras to be good enough. King Mustard, what model did you settle for?

#29 +Audien

Audien

Software Eng.

• Phone: iPhone 5S

Posted 11 November 2013 - 22:04

Is carrying around a battery pack and cable not an option?  As people have said, aesthetics have outweighed practicality in the high end.

#30 OP Elliot B.

Elliot B.

Over 13 years on Neowin

Posted 11 November 2013 - 22:15

I am in the same boat as King Mustard.

Satnav seems to eat the most battery, but browsing and photos on top of that do not help!

Also, contrary to what some people believe, it is bad for the battery to fully discharge.

I was doing this on the N8 and had to replace the battery after about a year.

I have not had to do this on the 808 after the same length of time, as I am more careful not to do this.

I found an external battery extremely useful but also annoying having it hanging.

I also find a removable battery useful when my phone crashes.

My partner has Note 2 and SG3 but I don't find the cameras to be good enough. King Mustard, what model did you settle for?

I had an Anker 4400mAh battery with my S III. Worked fine.

I'm now using a ZeroLemon 7500mAh battery with my S4.

I would have liked to stick with Anker for my S4 after my positive S III experience but the Black Mist variant of their 5200mAh battery wasn't available on Amazon UK at the time.

Also, Anker had a 5600mAh battery with integrated Smart Cover that I would have preferred over their 5200mAh battery with no Smart Cover but they wasn't available in the UK.

It appears Anker now offer a 7600mAh battery but again, it's unlikely it'll be offered in the UK, so I'm not annoyed I went with the ZeroLemon product. It works very well.

Note: All batteries mentioned above include a separate and needed back cover.