Second-Hand Smoke Bad for Cats, Dogs and Birds

If you've been looking for one more reason to stop smoking, you may have found it. Your instructor is correct: Secondhand smoke puts both people and pets at risk. Health authorities believe secondhand smoke kills thousands of nonsmokers every year, and though the number of pets affected isn't clear, the risk is.

* In cats, exposure to cigarette smoke produces higher than normal rates of mouth cancer and lymphoma.

* In dogs, being around secondhand smoke increases the odds of nasal cancer.

* In birds, lung cancer shows up more frequently with exposure to smoking in the home.

A study by the Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine at Tufts University looked at the link between secondhand smoke and cancer in cats and found not only a strong link, but an even higher risk for pets exposed for five years or longer. For dogs, a study by the College of Veterinary Medicine at Colorado State University noted the higher risk of nasal tumors in dogs with longer muzzles and of lung cancer in dogs with shorter muzzles. The carcinogens were stopped in the noses of some dogs but went through to the lungs in others. Not a good situation in either case.

more

Captain Obvious strikes again. I always have an urge to punch heads of all smokers in public so far down their throats they'd have to remove their pants next time they want to read. Unfortunately, my physique doesn't permit that sort of behavior.

If you've been looking for one more reason to stop smoking, you may have found it. Your instructor is correct: Secondhand smoke puts both people and pets at risk. Health authorities believe secondhand smoke kills thousands of nonsmokers every year, and though the number of pets affected isn't clear, the risk is.

* In cats, exposure to cigarette smoke produces higher than normal rates of mouth cancer and lymphoma.

* In dogs, being around secondhand smoke increases the odds of nasal cancer.

* In birds, lung cancer shows up more frequently with exposure to smoking in the home.

A study by the Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine at Tufts University looked at the link between secondhand smoke and cancer in cats and found not only a strong link, but an even higher risk for pets exposed for five years or longer. For dogs, a study by the College of Veterinary Medicine at Colorado State University noted the higher risk of nasal tumors in dogs with longer muzzles and of lung cancer in dogs with shorter muzzles. The carcinogens were stopped in the noses of some dogs but went through to the lungs in others. Not a good situation in either case.

more

any one else want to say... duh?

I think any creature that depends on aerobic respiration probably suffers ill health effects from second-hand smoke.

Captain Obvious strikes again. I always have an urge to punch heads of all smokers in public so far down their throats they'd have to remove their pants next time they want to read. Unfortunately, my physique doesn't permit that sort of behavior.

If that's the case. Then i want everyone to stop driving cars because they give off alot more killer gases then cigs. Which kills 1000's of people each year.

A lot of smokers don't stop to think about what they are doing to their pets -- so this needs pointed out.

I did. Unfortunately I still smoke but I will not subject my pets to it. It all goes outside whether it's raining or 20 degrees out.

• Like 2

If that's the case. Then i want everyone to stop driving cars because they give off alot more killer gases then cigs. Which kills 1000's of people each year.

Proof?

i know that's true, a guy i work with smoked for years, and finally gave it up completely. after he did, his jack russell got sick, all kinds of weird symptoms. the vet said it was nicotine withdrawel, just like a person gets!

luckily, the dog recovered like he did, and they're both smoke free for a few years now

Cars are useful. Smoking is not.

Arm yourself with a Hand Fan, and don't be shy or hesitates to use it whenever there some smokers' smokes are flying at your direction.

So before this, someone actually believed that something that kills humans, maybe ok for other living creatures? Idiots.

I did. Unfortunately I still smoke but I will not subject my pets to it. It all goes outside whether it's raining or 20 degrees out.

You are mighty cool. ;)

Smoking should be totally banned. It's not only killing smokers but those people and pets around them. To do that is just wrong.

High fat/sugar/salt foods should be banned. It's not only killing people, but it is putting strain on the healthcare system by tying up medical staff with lifestyle diseases and it is costing the taxpayer millions.

Alcohol should be totally banned. not only is it killing the drinker, but alcohol leads to accidents and anti-social behaviour which put strain on our emergency services and police forces. This is a waste of taxpayer money.

Just sayin'.

Same here. I have not smoked AT ALL in my home since I moved in over 6 years ago now. It actually grosses me out when I go to someones home who does smoke inside it, and as stated, I am a smoker.

I know it is the dumbest thing I do. I know I need to quit. And I absolutely know to never smoke around pets. That is just common sense, smoker or not.

I actually do not even let my dog come up and kiss me if I have been outside smoking, and make sure to go wash my hands and face until he does, I am that conscience of it.

I swear, sometimes scientists just like wasting piles of cash just so they can state the bleedin' obvious...

They have to get paid for something so it might as well be something obvious and doesn't take too much work for them.