Lumia 920 Battery : Specific Questions

Hi!

I'm just trying to check if my Nokia Lumia 920 has specific battery problems or not:

1) It takes about 2-3 hours easily to charge. Is this normal? My old Galaxy S3 used to charge much faster. (Charging through wall socket)

2) My battery doesn't last at all on 3G (Maybe 3-4 hrs). I'm thinking this might be due to poor 3G signal as the battery is decent on 2G connection. [ I have disabled most apps through background tasks, NFC is always switched off and I quit almost all apps instantly)

Thanks

I don't tend to keep track of how long it takes to charge my phone but if I had to guess I'd say that it usually takes me about an hour to recharge from about 30-50% using the wall socket. It's certainly not the fastest charger and wireless charging is even slower.

If I spend the day in an area with good 3G reception I can generally get my battery to last about a day and a half between charges. However, if I spend the day in an area with poor reception the battery discharges very quickly and is usually flat after about 8 hours. If there's a wifi access point that you can connect to in the poor reception area then it will help to connect and set your wifi to stay connected when the phone is locked. Doing this improved my battery life substantially.

For number 1, are you using the same charger as you used with the S3? What is it's power output? If it's <1A you're going to see slower charge times. I'm not positive what the max charging current is on the Lumia 920, but slow charging is usually because the charger doesn't provide enough amperage. I'm pretty sure most phones charge at at least 1A now.

As for the second part, I think you pretty much found your issue already. Low signal causes the phone to constantly seek towers with better signal, and it will drain your battery fast. Especially if the battery is fine on 2G. Are you frequently in an area that doesn't have even good 3G? If so, sticking to 2G really is your best bet to help battery. Unfortunately there's not much you can do about that other than switching carriers if another carrier has better signal in your area.

Hmm. to charge mine usually takes around 1,5 hours, maybe 2hours tops.

Also the phone easily lasts a work day on heavy usage, i.e. browsing, chatting, bunch of phone calls. Playing games will drain the battery very very quickly though.

On moderate use the phone should last a full day easy, This is with everything enabled, bluetooth/wifi/3g.

Are you on the last version?

My 3g range is quite horrible in my living room too, does seem to affect it but not drastically to lower the lifetime by several hours.

EDIT: my 3g reception isnt horribly bad that i keep losing signal, its stable but just weak.

if your signal is weak, the signal power amplifier inside the phone cranks up and uses up all the juice because your phone is constantly communicating with the cell tower,even when idle.

Theres a certain location I visit sometimes,and the signal is very weak there. My phone battery only drains extremely quick there.

Ajerman - Nope. I was using Samsung charger for Galaxy S3 and for Nokia I'm using the Nokia charger.

Looking at the responses, I guess my battery is fine :) I have low signal throughout the house and even the area where I stay. 2G is quite good though. Phone fluctuates between 2G-3G-H+ so I'm thinking that's what causes my battery to drain. I have switched to 2G and WiFi when I'm at home and my battery lasts well.

Ajerman - Nope. I was using Samsung charger for Galaxy S3 and for Nokia I'm using the Nokia charger.

Looking at the responses, I guess my battery is fine :) I have low signal throughout the house and even the area where I stay. 2G is quite good though. Phone fluctuates between 2G-3G-H+ so I'm thinking that's what causes my battery to drain. I have switched to 2G and WiFi when I'm at home and my battery lasts well.

Try reading what it says on the part that plugs into the wall. You should see the voltage (not sure where you live, but 120V for example in the US) and the current. See if the Nokia charger has a lower current than the S3 charger. They are 100% interchangeable so you can try using the S3 charger with your Lumia and see if it makes it any faster.

Do you have the latest update? I found that helped my battery a lot.

Hi!

I'm just trying to check if my Nokia Lumia 920 has specific battery problems or not:

1) It takes about 2-3 hours easily to charge. Is this normal? My old Galaxy S3 used to charge much faster. (Charging through wall socket)

2) My battery doesn't last at all on 3G (Maybe 3-4 hrs). I'm thinking this might be due to poor 3G signal as the battery is decent on 2G connection. [ I have disabled most apps through background tasks, NFC is always switched off and I quit almost all apps instantly)

I generally don't use WiFi on my Lumia 920 (I have LTE in my area), but I leave Bluetooth on at all times so that it always works when I get into my car. Even with that, I easily get a full day's worth of battery (usually two days, but I always recharge at night given the chance). Recently, the cell tower near work has been having issues (including on iPhones and Android phones, so it's definitely the tower/AT&T), so my battery life has been struggling a little bit more at work, but I still easily get a day's worth.

Occasionally, I have noticed that my battery is randomly just destroyed in a matter of an hour or two. Whenever I notice this, the phone is also noticeably warmer than it is during normal inactive times. The normal app to blame is anything related to GPS, but I usually do not need to use my GPS (if you do, then make sure you close it by opening it and hitting Back until it closes). The other day, I noticed that it was happening every other day even when I wasn't really doing anything, so I actually uninstalled Skype. That seems to have fixed it; perhaps it was coincidental, but it seems like Skype was doing something in the background and eating the battery.

If none of that works, then you should probably go return your Lumia 920 and pick up a new one.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update.

I'm giving my phone for service as i think it does have a faulty battery. It took 3 hrs and approx 55 mins to charge the battery from 15% to 100% using a Samsung AC wall charger and my phone barely lasts a day at minimum usage.

My Galaxy S3 used to barely take 2 hours to charge the phone. Both of them have the same 2000 MaH battery :/