Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

48 posts in this topic

It was a pointless endeavour from the start, gaming news is a grossly saturated market - and unless you have something to make yourself stand out from the crowd, you're just another blip on the internet.

Guys, it's all well and good speculating and assuming you weren't listened to, the fact of the matter is simply that we've suffered with a format for gaming news since we started covering gaming news in 2002. It never got much attention when it was a massive tab on the main page (same for software news) and everything we tried failed to gain enough traction.

I'm not a huge fan of posting news items directly to the forums but in this case I think it could work because of the diversity of the genre. We tried posting links to software news in backpage news and we got many complaints for flooding that forum. I don't see that happening in this case and I think we may have even found the best of what we can ever expect for gaming news on Neowin right here.

3 people like this

When one of the lines pretty clearly says "our focus will be on microsoft" can you really blame someone for assuming their new focus will be on the xbox with the others coming a distant second?

Given that there are plenty of people here that aren't xbox users, yes I can feel slightly annoyed at the bias. But then this is Neowin, it shouldn't really surprise me any more.

Given that there are plenty of people here that aren't xbox users, yes I can feel slightly annoyed at the bias. But then this is Neowin, it shouldn't really surprise me any more.

Every time you turn around you just spew more useless Microsoft hate don't you?

It's not like they're going to be removing all articles related to other consoles/companies, you have absolutely NO reason to be annoyed.

2 people like this

Fantastic decision. I rarely saw any gaming news, mostly due to my own laziness, but also because I didn't see the point in making a separate bookmark.

I liked the idea behind Neogamr personally but there are times when practically ALL gaming news is dead and that's when it didn't work at all.

I'm sorry it didn't work out but then I never perused it myself. Always sad when an effort doesn't succeed, but hopefully the gaming sections can reclaim their glory.

1 person likes this

That's great news! No pun intended.

Good to see gaming news back here where it belongs. :)

I look forward to reading and commenting on articles again in the future!

Every time you turn around you just spew more useless Microsoft hate don't you?

It's not like they're going to be removing all articles related to other consoles/companies, you have absolutely NO reason to be annoyed.

Sorry, where is the Microsoft hate in his post, I don't have an Xbox and rely on other sites to get my news, can you blame him for being annoyed on the Microsoft focus when there are other consoles that sell just as well as Xbox on the market.

It was worth a try and if this is what the staff and Neobond have decided is the way forward then that's all good (Y)

2 people like this

I tried what I could doing the weekly Neogamr podcast with Tim & John, we even recorded close to 30 episodes I think it was, but it never picked up, and was really quite discouraging at the end of the day. It was a decent amount of effort on our parts for little to no return.

I personally think a lot of people around here talk a good talk about wanting a community but then once things are done to try and make it a community they do not support it. The whole goal of the podcast was to make it something the members participated in, from suggesting topics to asking questions to having guests as well, that was the plan, but no one ever participated in the threads we started about the podcast itself.

Also not for nothing, almost anything that is not spelled properly is doomed. It always bothered the hell out of me that it was missing the e. :laugh:

^ all the posts redirected to neowin forums anyways. I never went to Neogamr, came straight to the forums, just made sense.

Sorry, where is the Microsoft hate in his post, I don't have an Xbox and rely on other sites to get my news, can you blame him for being annoyed on the Microsoft focus when there are other consoles that sell just as well as Xbox on the market.

Simply because it is focusing on Microsoft is where the annoyance lies. If it was Sony or Nintendo (whichever they favour) you wouldn't hear a peep. Therefore his statement = hate due to the presence of Microsoft.

To all the haters, would you search WiiModding to get info on the PS4? No? So why get all of your Sony and Nintendo information from a Microsoft-centric site.... You KNOW that is the case, and yet still think your moaning makes a difference (I'm sure someone out there cares.....). It makes no sense, and you are not justified in your whiny and useless statements.

1 person likes this

Simply because it is focusing on Microsoft is where the annoyance lies. If it was Sony or Nintendo (whichever they favour) you wouldn't hear a peep. Therefore his statement = hate due to the presence of Microsoft.

To all the haters, would you search WiiModding to get info on the PS4? No? So why get all of your Sony and Nintendo information from a Microsoft-centric site.... You KNOW that is the case, and yet still think your moaning makes a difference (I'm sure someone out there cares.....). It makes no sense, and you are not justified in your whiny and useless statements.

Except it's not a Microsoft centric site at all, maybe at one point in time it was Windows centric but that time has long since passed.

Good, I hated seeing links here then clicking on them and being taken to a different site where I had to log in again. Neowin should just have it's own gaming section, there is no reason for a completely separate site.

Except it's not a Microsoft centric site at all, maybe at one point in time it was Windows centric but that time has long since passed.

So the statement that "Of course, our emphasis on Microsoft news and features means we will still be writing posts about the next generation version of Microsoft's Xbox console on Neowin." means that they focus on orange growers in Florida? No. It means "Microsoft-centric"

its a shame it didnt pan out but I think you limited yourself when you made the first change to just report on pc gaming although but im sure theres many other factors involved. In any case, all good with the gamers hangout anyway

1 person likes this

Guilty as charged Larry, I admit it!

I tried what I could doing the weekly Neogamr podcast with Tim & John, we even recorded close to 30 episodes I think it was, but it never picked up, and was really quite discouraging at the end of the day. It was a decent amount of effort on our parts for little to no return.

I personally think a lot of people around here talk a good talk about wanting a community but then once things are done to try and make it a community they do not support it. The whole goal of the podcast was to make it something the members participated in, from suggesting topics to asking questions to having guests as well, that was the plan, but no one ever participated in the threads we started about the podcast itself.

...I have yet to listen to podcasts from anyone or I would've. They just seem like a waste of time. Sorreh.

Also not for nothing, almost anything that is not spelled properly is doomed. It always bothered the hell out of me that it was missing the e. :laugh:

Did you guys try to promote the podcasts in more places than just here? Making a podcast popular is a tough business.It's admirable you tried, but, and I say this respectfully, it isn't surprising it didn't take off. Not so much because of the content, but because podcasts are notoriously difficult to encourage people to listen to.

One thing I think I noticed was that a lot of the news that was posted in Neogamr had already been posted in one of the sub-forums, so you essentially had the same story posted twice.. Fragmenting content like that isn't a good idea.

I think this arrangement is much better. I have actually read stuff posted by the News Reporters. When NeoGamr was around, I didn't really bother.

Well they were on iTunes too.

Well they were on iTunes too.

Was on iTunes, also Twitter, Facebook, etc.

Honestly like I said, if the community here got behind it, I think it would have been easier to take off. Instead our best episode had 12 listeners. :rofl:

It's cool, I am not bitter about it, just saying we tried, for almost a year on and off.