• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#16 -Razorfold

-Razorfold

Neowinian Senior

• 9,627 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 22 April 2013 - 19:17

HTC never made the best phones. well during the WinMo era they sort of did, mostly by being the only major OEM. but their phones never had good build quality or industrial design as for as quality went. their cameras have universally sucked their screens have been mediocre at best...

HD2, Desire, Touch Pro 2, Diamond, Touch HD?

Yeah most of those are WinMo phones like you said but they also were really nice phones (regardless of the OS). There were often quite different to what the competition had and in terms of build quality they were still pretty good. They started to lose all that when they saturated the market with 600 copies of the same phone.

#17 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• 10,513 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 22 April 2013 - 19:26

Worryingly, at this rate all we're going to be left with is iPhones and Windows phones.
Pity if the consumer is going to be left with virtually no choice.
I guess time will tell what this injunction brings.

Edit,
Apologies if this is off topic.

Yeah you are off topic. Nokia is not after HTC for making phones. RTA.

#18 ludeboy12

ludeboy12

Neowinian

• 334 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 19:28

This isn't HTC's fault at all. You can't blame them for buying a good mic.

#19 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,023 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 22 April 2013 - 19:55

All the parts you referred to are generic and obvious - stuffing the latest processor or more RAM in a phone is easy. They're not innovative and they're not the parts that HTC are promoting in their marketing material. The HTC One is a cheap knock-off because the headline parts are the OIS camera which has been proven to be significantly inferior to the camera in the L920 and the HAAC microphones which debuted in the L920.

I don't understand how you can dismiss the unique design, CPU, display, RAM, GPU, battery, UI and weight, yet make a distinction for the microphone and camera. Does anybody really buy a phone for the microphone? And while the Lumia 920 has a great camera, so too does the HTC One - this comparison shows the Lumia 920 excelling in some areas and the HTC One excelling in others. Even if we accept your premise that the Lumia 920 has a significantly better camera—and I think overall it is a better camera, though I wouldn't say "significantly" so—that isn't grounds to dismiss the HTC One as a "cheap knock-off". The term "knock-off" means "a copy that sells for less than the original", which clearly doesn't apply here as it is a) more expensive, b) stylistically distinct (therefore not a copy), and c) technically superior in most areas. What you said is objectively, factually wrong.

There are legitimate reasons to criticise the HTC One—and indeed the company in general—but you seem to have let your personal preference for Nokia stand in the way of reason and objectivity. What we have here is a minor dispute over the microphone used, which seems to be a result of manufacturers in the supply chain rather than HTC itself (if indeed the claim has validity). For what it's worth I think Nokia is the more innovative company, though the restrictions imposed by Windows Phone certainly aren't helping it compete.

#20 Boz

Boz

Neowinian Senior

• 7,383 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 20:06

ST Microelectronics sounds more to blame here. They had a NDA that they apparently didnt abide by.

Exactly.. but god forbid Microsoft/Nokia apologists to actually read the point.

All the parts you referred to are generic and obvious - stuffing the latest processor or more RAM in a phone is easy. They're not innovative

Right.. it's super easy.. engineering piece of equipment around new processors, heat requirements and many other things is super easy.. jesus

#21 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• 6,500 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5S/Nexus 5

Posted 22 April 2013 - 20:09

ST Microelectronics sounds more to blame here. They had a NDA that they apparently didnt abide by.

Yep, exactly what it sounds like to me. So sad, I have extremely high hopes for the HTC One - every single review I have read is extremely positive, and sounds way more attractive than Samsung GS4 or other competitors.

#22 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• 17,829 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 20:12

Yep, exactly what it sounds like to me. So sad, I have extremely high hopes for the HTC One - every single review I have read is extremely positive, and sounds way more attractive than Samsung GS4 or other competitors.

Well, if HTC has no knowledge of what STM did, then HTC should sue STM.

#23 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• 6,500 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5S/Nexus 5

Posted 22 April 2013 - 20:17

Well, if HTC has no knowledge of what STM did, then HTC should sue STM.

I honestly hope they do, if the situation is what I think it is - this sounds like HTC is just using STM mic in the One, and STM is using the same mic (or same technology) between Nokia products and HTC One. If that's the case, Nokia should really sue STM, and not go after HTC.

#24 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,023 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 22 April 2013 - 20:28

I honestly hope they do, if the situation is what I think it is - this sounds like HTC is just using STM mic in the One, and STM is using the same mic (or same technology) between Nokia products and HTC One. If that's the case, Nokia should really sue STM, and not go after HTC.

Exactly. Nokia shouldn't be able to prevent HTC from selling a phone because of wrongdoing on the part of a supplier shared by both companies. That sort of behaviour is anti-competitive and is bad for consumers. If STM is to blame it should be the one facing a lawsuit, as any technology developed exclusively for Nokia shouldn't be sold to competitors. Unfortunately this looks to be a case of Nokia abusing its market position to disadvantage a competitor, rather than simply defending its intellectual property.

#25 -Razorfold

-Razorfold

Neowinian Senior

• 9,627 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 22 April 2013 - 20:32

Nokia have said that STM is to blame (it's in the article) They aren't suing HTC:

The Amsterdam District Court has today granted Nokia's request for a preliminary injunction against the supply to HTC of microphone components invented by and manufactured exclusively for Nokia.

So you see Nokia wants the supply of the microphones to stop, which would also end up delaying the phone launch. They aren't outright stopping the sale of HTC one and if HTC puts out a redesigned microphone from another company they're welcome to sell it.

Exactly.. but god forbid Microsoft/Nokia apologists to actually read the point.

Yeah because your original post wasn't just outright trolling right? Stop trying to pretend you didn't mean that.

Exactly. Nokia shouldn't be able to prevent HTC from selling a phone because of wrongdoing on the part of a supplier shared by both companies. That sort of behaviour is anti-competitive and is bad for consumers. If STM is to blame it should be the one facing a lawsuit, as any technology developed exclusively for Nokia shouldn't be sold to competitors. Unfortunately this looks to be a case of Nokia abusing its market position to disadvantage a competitor, rather than simply defending its intellectual property.

Except I don't see where Nokia says they're suing HTC? The article and the press report say Nokia applied for an injunction to stop the supply of STM microphones to HTC. The article even says that Nokia points the finger squarely at STM.

#26 vcfan

vcfan

POP POP RET

• 4,739 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 20:32

Thomson is to blame for sure, but HTC is also at fault. In north America,if I buy stolen property, I will be charged with possession of stolen property,even if I didn't know I bought stolen goods. HTC has a duty to do their DD before sourcing components to make sure whatever they're buying is compliant with the law,and doesn't infringe on the intellectual properly of third parties.

#27 jakem1

jakem1

Neowinian Senior

• 6,452 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 20:45

I don't understand how you can dismiss the unique design, CPU, display, RAM, GPU, battery, UI and weight, yet make a distinction for the microphone and camera. Does anybody really buy a phone for the microphone? And while the Lumia 920 has a great camera, so too does the HTC One - this comparison shows the Lumia 920 excelling in some areas and the HTC One excelling in others. Even if we accept your premise that the Lumia 920 has a significantly better camera—and I think overall it is a better camera, though I wouldn't say "significantly" so—that isn't grounds to dismiss the HTC One as a "cheap knock-off". The term "knock-off" means "a copy that sells for less than the original", which clearly doesn't apply here as it is a) more expensive, b) stylistically distinct (therefore not a copy), and c) technically superior in most areas. What you said is objectively, factually wrong.

There are legitimate reasons to criticise the HTC One—and indeed the company in general—but you seem to have let your personal preference for Nokia stand in the way of reason and objectivity. What we have here is a minor dispute over the microphone used, which seems to be a result of manufacturers in the supply chain rather than HTC itself (if indeed the claim has validity). For what it's worth I think Nokia is the more innovative company, though the restrictions imposed by Windows Phone certainly aren't helping it compete.

You just typed the same thing all over again. Let me make it clear - HTC are primarily promoting this phone based on the camera and the microphones and those are features that have been copied from Nokia. The rest of the stuff in your post is just a laundry list of the latest smartphone components. There's nothing innovative about this phone.

snip

You have no credibility.

#28 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,349 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 22 April 2013 - 21:12

HD2, Desire, Touch Pro 2, Diamond, Touch HD?

Yeah most of those are WinMo phones like you said but they also were really nice phones (regardless of the OS). There were often quite different to what the competition had and in terms of build quality they were still pretty good. They started to lose all that when they saturated the market with 600 copies of the same phone.

the diamond models where admittedly good. but the Desire... seriously...

and all of the above suffered from production quality issues or design quality issues.

You just typed the same thing all over again. Let me make it clear - HTC are primarily promoting this phone based on the camera and the microphones and those are features that have been copied from Nokia. The rest of the stuff in your post is just a laundry list of the latest smartphone components. There's nothing innovative about this phone.

Never mind the fact that HTC had to put all that increased CPU, GPU and RAM in there to try to match the performance of the lumia, and the Lumie 610 with WP7.0 still outperforms it.

#29 illegaloperation

illegaloperation

Neowinian Senior

• 1,758 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 21:12

HTC is pratically boasting about it: http://blog.htc.com/...free-recording/

Nokia said the technology in question is "high amplitude audio capture" and enables high-quality recording of music from mobile phones. Nokia said it took apart the HTC One to confirm the microphone, which HTC called "dual membrane HDR", was the same as its own.

#30 +Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

• 11,527 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 21:24

Yeah you are off topic. Nokia is not after HTC for making phones. RTFA.

I did read the fu**ing article as you mentioned, I'm replying on my phone, which is why I didn't delete it and put up my usual 'statement withdrawn' post instead, but seeing as you have nothing better to do than be rude to an honest mistake, to you sir, I say GFY!

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!