20 posts in this topic

Posted

[size=6]Gearbox Software acquires Homeworld franchise[/size]
by John Callaham

Homeworld remains one of the most critically acclaimed PC series ever made. The sci-fi space based RTS series was created by developer Relic and first released by Sierra Online in 1999. The year 2000 saw a stand alone expansion pack, Homeworld: Cataclysm, from now defunct developer Barking Dog Studios. In 2003, Relic released the sequel, Homeworld 2.

Relic was acquired by THQ which then got hold of the Homeworld franchise. However, the publisher did nothing with the series and in early 2013 it went into bankruptcy. It held an auction to sell off its IP and today it was revealed that Gearbox Software was the winner of the auction for the Homeworld franchise.

Gearbox hints in their announcement they plan to re-release Homeworld 1 and 2 "with the intent of making them accessible on today's leading digital platforms." Beyond that, there's no word on if Gearbox plans to release new games in the series. Other companies that put in bids for the series include Paradox Interactive and Stardock, both of which have long strategy game histories. Gearbox Software has concentrated on the first person shooter genre such as Brothers In Arms and the Borderlands series, the latter of which has RPG elements.

Source: Gearbox Software | Image via Relic

1 person likes this

Posted

I must say, I'm more excited that Gearbox ended up with the Homeworld IP rather than some unknown kickstarter company. I think Gearbox has the potential to really do the series justice. Borderlands 1 and 2 (and DLCs) are proof enough. Though, Aliens: Colonial Marines was sh--. Hopefully, it was just a fluke and not a trend.

Posted

Duke Forever and Aliens Colonial Marines were both messes but I don't blame Gearbox on those. Sure they developed them, but only portions and bits of those games, they didn't make them from the start like Borderlands 1 and 2. Borderlands 2 especially is proof enough to me as well that they can certainly develop good games on their own accord. Not sure how I feel about them making a Homeworld game, but it's also good that the Homeworld IP isn't going to die now.
1 person likes this

Posted

I think this is great news!

Posted

Better it just stay dead than Gearbox getting another cash-in title.

Posted

Gearbox has a pretty ropey development history. Borderlands and its sequel were decent but pretty much everything else has been mediocre-to-poor. That said, the other publishers bidding for the franchise aren't any better.

Posted

I fear for the series.

Expected the indie company to grab it; a real shame.

Posted

Yes! My favorite series of all time. I miss Relic.

Posted

Kind of wish Paradox or Stardock would've gotten to continue development on this game as it seemed to be a bit more up their alley. Not that I don't think Gearbox couldn't do a great job, but what they did with Duke Nukem and Alien Colonial Marines is a bit worrying (though I did enjoy BL2 and poured over 100hrs into it).

Posted

[quote name='DAOWAce' timestamp='1366684107' post='595653348']
I fear for the series.

Expected the indie company to grab it; a real shame.
[/quote]

I was kind of hoping EA would get it. They turn everything they touch into solid gold!

Posted

Based on the replies to this thread already I am looking forward to experiencing the series for the first time, wasn't too into gaming when I was 10 for the first go-round (1999).

Posted

[quote name='Enron' timestamp='1366685659' post='595653374']
I was kind of hoping EA would get it. They turn everything they touch into solid gold!
[/quote]

ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Posted

[quote name='Dashel' timestamp='1366663571' post='595652878']
Better it just stay dead than Gearbox getting another cash-in title.
[/quote]
I disagree. I think it's better that they make something with the Homeworld name. If you don't like it, then don't play it. Others will get some level of enjoyment out of it. Even if only 1 person likes it, it's better than nothing.

Posted

OMG!!! Fingers crossed for another series of Homeworld!! I loved HW2!

Posted

Gearbox blew the money that was supposed to be used on Aliens: Colonial Marines on Borderlands 2, that's why it was so good, and A:CM was ****. Poor management, best leave the Homeworld series dead than let Gearbox soil it's name.

Posted

Bad management? Well I won't argue on how good Randy Pitchford runs Gearbox one way or the other, but try to remember Gearbox wasn't always involved in the production of Aliens, let alone when they were they had to put puzzle pieces together apparently it was such a mess. Plus, you know, Gearbox isn't the publisher. Personally I find the Aliens disaster (though remember, I thought it was a decent Aliens game, but not a good game overall) totally pinned on the publisher in this case. Constantly bouncing the project from one studio to another over the years. Frankly, like Duke Forever, it's a miracle we even got a game to come out.

Plus, I'd rather a AAA dev studio like Gearbox take the Homeworld IP than either some indie studio with no financial backing or some mega corp. bent on totally milking it for all it's worth. Then again, Gearbox (and their publisher, I guess Sega?) could decide to milk it also. So meh on that one.

Posted

[quote name='LOC' timestamp='1366733692' post='595654182']Bad management? Well I won't argue on how good Randy Pitchford runs Gearbox one way or the other, but try to remember Gearbox wasn't always involved in the production of Aliens, let alone when they were they had to put puzzle pieces together apparently it was such a mess.[/quote]

Gearbox was responsible for Aliens: Colonial Marines - it chose to outsource large parts of the development because the main team was working on Borderlands 2 and poor communication meant that large parts of the game had to be reworked, wasting precious time and resources. The game simply wasn't what was promised.

Gearbox put its name on DNF and A:CM, two of the worst rated games in recent gaming history (from a major developer that is). Other projects have been significantly delayed, like Brothers In Arms: Furious 4 - that was meant to be released in 2012 but has since been rebranded and there is no announced release date (a 2013 release is far from certain).

It's possible Gearbox will produce a decent game with the franchise

Posted

Meh, Borderlands is mediocre at best. DNF is the best game they've put out, since they generally slapped together (badly) what was already done.

I would rather them not sully the brand than make even a single n00bstick or iLlama happy.

Posted

I'm throwing all my money at the screen but nothing is happening. :-)

SO, SO, SO EXCITED about this announcement. I would love to play HW1 on the iPad.
I still have my original HW1 disks, manuals and BOX from when I purchased it in 1999.

Posted

I'll probably buy it and play it, but I fear much of the game will be lost and it will be oversimplified. I enjoyed blindsiding people from the verticle axis.
1 person likes this

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0