• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 vetJohn Callaham

John Callaham

Neowinian

Posted 22 April 2013 - 20:31

Gearbox Software acquires Homeworld franchise
by John Callaham

Homeworld remains one of the most critically acclaimed PC series ever made. The sci-fi space based RTS series was created by developer Relic and first released by Sierra Online in 1999. The year 2000 saw a stand alone expansion pack, Homeworld: Cataclysm, from now defunct developer Barking Dog Studios. In 2003, Relic released the sequel, Homeworld 2.

Relic was acquired by THQ which then got hold of the Homeworld franchise. However, the publisher did nothing with the series and in early 2013 it went into bankruptcy. It held an auction to sell off its IP and today it was revealed that Gearbox Software was the winner of the auction for the Homeworld franchise.

Gearbox hints in their announcement they plan to re-release Homeworld 1 and 2 "with the intent of making them accessible on today's leading digital platforms." Beyond that, there's no word on if Gearbox plans to release new games in the series. Other companies that put in bids for the series include Paradox Interactive and Stardock, both of which have long strategy game histories. Gearbox Software has concentrated on the first person shooter genre such as Brothers In Arms and the Borderlands series, the latter of which has RPG elements.

Source: Gearbox Software | Image via Relic

#2 spacer

spacer

I'm awesome

• Phone: Nexus 4

Posted 22 April 2013 - 20:36

I must say, I'm more excited that Gearbox ended up with the Homeworld IP rather than some unknown kickstarter company. I think Gearbox has the potential to really do the series justice. Borderlands 1 and 2 (and DLCs) are proof enough. Though, Aliens: Colonial Marines was sh--. Hopefully, it was just a fluke and not a trend.

#3 vetLOC

LOC

I finally changed this.

Posted 22 April 2013 - 20:44

Duke Forever and Aliens Colonial Marines were both messes but I don't blame Gearbox on those. Sure they developed them, but only portions and bits of those games, they didn't make them from the start like Borderlands 1 and 2. Borderlands 2 especially is proof enough to me as well that they can certainly develop good games on their own accord. Not sure how I feel about them making a Homeworld game, but it's also good that the Homeworld IP isn't going to die now.

#4 fusi0n

fusi0n

The Crazy One

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: iPhone 5S 64GB

Posted 22 April 2013 - 20:45

I think this is great news!

#5 Dashel

Dashel

Disgustipator

Posted 22 April 2013 - 20:46

Better it just stay dead than Gearbox getting another cash-in title.

#6 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 22 April 2013 - 20:47

Gearbox has a pretty ropey development history. Borderlands and its sequel were decent but pretty much everything else has been mediocre-to-poor. That said, the other publishers bidding for the franchise aren't any better.

#7 DAOWAce

DAOWAce

Blind

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:28

I fear for the series.

Expected the indie company to grab it; a real shame.

#8 ccoltmanm

ccoltmanm

Neowinian Senior

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:34

Yes! My favorite series of all time. I miss Relic.

#9 Boxster17

Boxster17

Porsche Enthusiast

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:45

Kind of wish Paradox or Stardock would've gotten to continue development on this game as it seemed to be a bit more up their alley. Not that I don't think Gearbox couldn't do a great job, but what they did with Duke Nukem and Alien Colonial Marines is a bit worrying (though I did enjoy BL2 and poured over 100hrs into it).

#10 Enron

Enron

Windows for Workgroups

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:54

I fear for the series.

Expected the indie company to grab it; a real shame.

I was kind of hoping EA would get it. They turn everything they touch into solid gold!

#11 Alladaskill17

Alladaskill17

Neowinian Senior

Posted 23 April 2013 - 03:25

Based on the replies to this thread already I am looking forward to experiencing the series for the first time, wasn't too into gaming when I was 10 for the first go-round (1999).

#12 corrosive23

corrosive23

Neowinian

• Phone: Galaxy Note III

Posted 23 April 2013 - 03:40

I was kind of hoping EA would get it. They turn everything they touch into solid gold!

ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

#13 Yusuf M.

Yusuf M.

• Phone: OnePlus One 64GB

Posted 23 April 2013 - 15:15

Better it just stay dead than Gearbox getting another cash-in title.

I disagree. I think it's better that they make something with the Homeworld name. If you don't like it, then don't play it. Others will get some level of enjoyment out of it. Even if only 1 person likes it, it's better than nothing.

#14 Shaun N.

Shaun N.

Perfidious

Posted 23 April 2013 - 15:18

OMG!!! Fingers crossed for another series of Homeworld!! I loved HW2!

#15 Azies

Azies

Neowinian Senior

Posted 23 April 2013 - 15:34

Gearbox blew the money that was supposed to be used on Aliens: Colonial Marines on Borderlands 2, that's why it was so good, and A:CM was ****. Poor management, best leave the Homeworld series dead than let Gearbox soil it's name.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!