Gearbox Software acquires Homeworld franchise

gaming homeworld gearbox software

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 vetLOC

LOC

I finally changed this.

Posted 23 April 2013 - 16:14

Bad management? Well I won't argue on how good Randy Pitchford runs Gearbox one way or the other, but try to remember Gearbox wasn't always involved in the production of Aliens, let alone when they were they had to put puzzle pieces together apparently it was such a mess. Plus, you know, Gearbox isn't the publisher. Personally I find the Aliens disaster (though remember, I thought it was a decent Aliens game, but not a good game overall) totally pinned on the publisher in this case. Constantly bouncing the project from one studio to another over the years. Frankly, like Duke Forever, it's a miracle we even got a game to come out.

Plus, I'd rather a AAA dev studio like Gearbox take the Homeworld IP than either some indie studio with no financial backing or some mega corp. bent on totally milking it for all it's worth. Then again, Gearbox (and their publisher, I guess Sega?) could decide to milk it also. So meh on that one.

#17 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 23 April 2013 - 16:56

Bad management? Well I won't argue on how good Randy Pitchford runs Gearbox one way or the other, but try to remember Gearbox wasn't always involved in the production of Aliens, let alone when they were they had to put puzzle pieces together apparently it was such a mess.

Gearbox was responsible for Aliens: Colonial Marines - it chose to outsource large parts of the development because the main team was working on Borderlands 2 and poor communication meant that large parts of the game had to be reworked, wasting precious time and resources. The game simply wasn't what was promised.

Gearbox put its name on DNF and A:CM, two of the worst rated games in recent gaming history (from a major developer that is). Other projects have been significantly delayed, like Brothers In Arms: Furious 4 - that was meant to be released in 2012 but has since been rebranded and there is no announced release date (a 2013 release is far from certain).

It's possible Gearbox will produce a decent game with the franchise—afterall both the Borderlands games were excellent—but I can't say I'm optimistic given the company's track record.

#18 Dashel

Dashel

Disgustipator

Posted 23 April 2013 - 17:05

Meh, Borderlands is mediocre at best. DNF is the best game they've put out, since they generally slapped together (badly) what was already done.

I would rather them not sully the brand than make even a single n00bstick or iLlama happy.

#19 Defiantly

Defiantly

In Capsa Vino Veritas!

• Phone: IPhone 5S

Posted 23 April 2013 - 17:07

I'm throwing all my money at the screen but nothing is happening. :-)

SO, SO, SO EXCITED about this announcement. I would love to play HW1 on the iPad.
I still have my original HW1 disks, manuals and BOX from when I purchased it in 1999.

#20 Emn1ty

Emn1ty

Web Programmer

• Phone: HTC One M8

Posted 23 April 2013 - 17:49

I'll probably buy it and play it, but I fear much of the game will be lost and it will be oversimplified. I enjoyed blindsiding people from the verticle axis.