Photo

Using Compton for tear-free compositing in XFCE

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 petrochemicals

petrochemicals

Neowinian

Posted 14 August 2013 - 12:29

Yes, and I tried fullscreen video, no tearing anywhere just as expected. Not sure why yours is not parsing those options in the config file, it seems to work fine for everyone else :/

Oh, well, at least I have my PC working fine on LXDE with the old method. I was just worried that the new way would not work for others as well. As long as it works for them then there is no problem. Thanks for taking the time.

#17 0--JLowzrif

0--JLowzrif

Neowinian

Posted 14 August 2013 - 16:49

I'm not sure if i do something wrong or it's something else but it seems that the new method doesn't work, with the old method everything's working fine, with the new for some unknown reason compton refuses to start, mind you i'm on Fedora 19 (xfce)

#18 OP ViperAFK

ViperAFK

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 14 August 2013 - 17:52

Are you guys running older versions of compton or something? Works fine for me when I copy and paste that exact config file and startup command from my post on two different laptops I have here, both using latest compton from the ubuntu ppa. And several people (both in this thread and in my ubuntuforums thread) are using them in the config file with no problem.

My guess would be the perhaps older versions of compton only recognize those switches when passed to the compton startup command, but not when they are in the config file.

I'll edit the post when I get home later and add an "Alternate method" section.

#19 0--JLowzrif

0--JLowzrif

Neowinian

Posted 14 August 2013 - 18:48

compton-0.1.0-1.1

#20 OP ViperAFK

ViperAFK

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 14 August 2013 - 19:30

Strange, I believe that should be new enough. I can only guess that your config file doesn't appear to be being parsed properly or something, because it definitely "worksforme" here :) I would try reporting a bug here: https://github.com/chjj/compton/issues

And I've added an "alternate method" at the bottom of the guide.