Google Street View: 50 Countries, 5 Million Miles

Google's latest expansion of its Street View mapping service has seen it enter Hungary and Lesotho to mark 50 countries in which the feature is now available. The company has also pushed its "largest single update" of new and updated mapping images for over 350,000 miles of roads across 14 of its supported countries, which include France, Italy, Poland, Romania, Russia, Singapore, and Thailand.

In October, Google pushed updated imagery for over 250,000 miles of road, expanding coverage in the US, Great Britain, Italy, and Sweden, among other areas. Today's update sees the company add more special collections to its service, which now includes popular spots like the Pena National Palace in Portugal, the Sha Tin Che Kung Temple in Hong Kong, and the Kilkenny Castle in Ireland ? all of which were captured using Google's Street View Trike.

Google Street View launched in 2007 in five U.S. cities, growing to cover 5 million miles of the world in six years. While the company has come under fire for privacy violations ? which include Google's recent settlement with 38 US state attorneys general ? Street View continues to set the benchmark for on-the-ground mapping services, which its rivals are scrambling to match.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/4/23/4255964/google-street-view-reaches-50-countries

Keep it clean and on topic please. TY

^ 9550 adwords per mile

In 10 years they'll have a drone army able to travel to the spot you click in 10 seconds or less and snap it real time.

What are you talking about? Or are you just trying to be funny?

Wish they'd update a few of their older images.

For instance it seems daft that the London Olympic park (where i'm originally from) still shows it under construction. Also, up where i live now, the highlands, local restaurants, guest houses and areas change so much that the current crop of street view images are irrelevant.

That aside, i do love browsing around viewing the sites, even if they are slightly outdated.