west virginia discriminatory messages gun images disrupting education

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 63,574 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 16:11

A West Virginia teenager who was arrested and suspended from school after he refused to remove an NRA T-shirt is back in class.

Fourteen-year-old Jared Marcum of Logan returned to Logan Middle School on Monday after serving a one-day suspension.

His father, Allen Lardieri, told 13 News that the situation was exaggerated and said, "I don't see how anybody would have an issue with a hunting rifle and NRA put on a T-shirt, especially when policy doesn’t forbid it."

The school district's dress code prohibits any profanity, violence, discriminatory messages, but the report noted that gun images are not on the list.

"I will go to the ends of the earth, I will call people, I will write letters, I will do everything in the legal realm to make sure this does not happen again," Lardieri said, according to the report.

The teen's lawyer, Ben White, says school administrators maintain that Marcum disrupted the educational process. He says Marcum was exercising his right to free speech and wasn't disruptive.

Logan police arrested Marcum at the school last Thursday after he refused a teacher's order to remove the shirt. White says prosecutors are reviewing the case to determine whether to file charges.

Marcum has said that he was arrested on charges of disrupting an educational process and obstructing an officer, though White said Monday that the Logan County prosecutor's office is reviewing the case to decide whether to proceed.

Marcum wore the same shirt to school Monday. It displays the NRA logo and a hunting rifle.

more

#2 +Chris123NT

Chris123NT

Win8 Master

• 2,862 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 16:34

My question is what the hell happened here that would make it a police matter? AFAIK it's not illegal to wear any kind of shirt in public, so why should the police get involved in school policy?

#3 M_Lyons10

M_Lyons10

Neowinian Senior

• 13,934 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 16:47

My question is what the hell happened here that would make it a police matter? AFAIK it's not illegal to wear any kind of shirt in public, so why should the police get involved in school policy?

Because some schools think calling the police on something so ridiculous is appropriate...

We had an elementary school student near me at recess talking to one of her friends about playing together sometime and she made mention to playing with her Hello Kitty bubble gun (Which she didn't have with her at school) and not only was she suspended (At 6 years old), but it went on her permanent school record (With the school refusing to remove it) so now her mother is having a hard time finding a school that will accept her daughter. The school claimed that it was a terroristic threat and that is also what was placed on her record.

The problem in this country to be quite honest starts with the administration and faculty at schools...

#4 +fusi0n

fusi0n

Don't call it a come back

• 3,939 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 6 Plus

Posted 23 April 2013 - 16:54

The problem in this country to be quite honest starts with the administration and faculty at schools...

This. Right Here.

#5 t_r_nelson

t_r_nelson

Neowinian Senior

• 2,112 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 16:56

This all boils down to a serious lack of critical thinking. They don't want any gray areas that might require using common sense to actually think about things. Now they can stand back and scream the zero-tolerance mantra. No need to use that lump three feet above their ass.

#6 M_Lyons10

M_Lyons10

Neowinian Senior

• 13,934 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 17:02

This all boils down to a serious lack of critical thinking. They don't want any gray areas that might require using common sense to actually think about things. Now they can stand back and scream the zero-tolerance mantra. No need to use that lump three feet above their ass.

Absolutely. There's no common sense at all. Not only that, but there's no attempt to even use any! I mean, the 6 year old in my example was actually demanded to have a psychological evaluation (Though I believe that was eventually dropped, it remains on her record).

Another kid was threatened with a 2 week suspension because he built a gun out of legos and made gun sounds during play time...

Another student was suspended for pretending his finger was a gun during recess...

It is disgusting and shameful.

Edit: Looks like the girl with the Hello Kitty Bubble Gun was FINALLY cleared after her mother got an attorney. But the terms of the agreement specified that she is not allowed to disclose what the school actually did...

#7 Torolol

Torolol

• 3,191 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 17:12

so schools start to treat NRA logo & rifle images like somekind of Nazi Symbols.

#8 Ph1b3r0pt1c

Ph1b3r0pt1c

Neowinian

• 441 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 17:26

Welcome to the 21st century. They want to preach this crap in schools, all the while attempting to force religious belifes onto our kids. I had an issue when my daughter was in the 5th grade, after a teacher starting talking about how god created everything and my daughter interupted her asking her for proof. My daughter was suspended for causing a scene. I am slowly starting to hate this country, and everything it stands for. There is nothing free about the USA anymore.

#9 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• 6,229 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 18:07

Logan police arrested Marcum at the school last Thursday after he refused a teacher's order to remove the shirt. White says prosecutors are reviewing the case to determine whether to file charges.

Marcum has said that he was arrested on charges of disrupting an educational process and obstructing an officer, though White said Monday that the Logan County prosecutor's office is reviewing the case to decide whether to proceed.

:|

Seriously why did the police get involved in this.

#10 KingCracker

KingCracker

I am your huckleberry.

• 4,307 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 18:11

Why? This is ridiculously stupid and who ever called the cops for this should be made to pay the expenses of having the police show up. The police should be dealing with serious matters..

#11 moloko

moloko

Neowinian Senior

• 2,721 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 18:11

This is why we need uniforms in school. This would of never happened. The Principal would not need to call the police for someone refusing to take off this shirt...and I am sure there is more to the story than him just saying no. Sounds like there might of been more of a bout of words between both sides.

#12 Tuishimi

Tuishimi

Michinator

• 843 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 18:26

Welcome to the 21st century. They want to preach this crap in schools, all the while attempting to force religious belifes onto our kids. I had an issue when my daughter was in the 5th grade, after a teacher starting talking about how god created everything and my daughter interupted her asking her for proof. My daughter was suspended for causing a scene. I am slowly starting to hate this country, and everything it stands for. There is nothing free about the USA anymore.

Your post makes no sense to me. How are you equating the two situations? Generally speaking, schools side on the liberal side of things and wearing a T-Shirt with a gun on it would offend the sensibilities of people who believe guns are horrible. Your suggestion regarding religion would come from the opposite extreme. What baffles me is that in a state where hunting is HUGE an NRA T would be a problem. Seeing the T in the news article, I wonder at all what the problem was... Perhaps they should have some sort of rule regarding students wearing Ts expressing their desire to support specific political positions.

#13 Ph1b3r0pt1c

Ph1b3r0pt1c

Neowinian

• 441 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 21:35

Generally speaking, schools side on the liberal side of things and wearing a T-Shirt with a gun on it would offend the sensibilities of people who believe guns are horrible.

Just like my daughters school offended the sensibilities of people who want an education based on science, not a book written
2k years ago to control people. Its the same thing, but as you said the opposite extreme. Just for the record, I am neither right, left, center moderate or any of that other political crap. If there is nothing in the school code for dress, they had no business doing what they did. If there is, then he was in the wrong, end of story.

#14 DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 19,096 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 23:32

Precisely!!

#15 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 00:50

The teen's lawyer, Ben White, says school administrators maintain that Marcum disrupted the educational process. He says Marcum was exercising his right to free speech and wasn't disruptive.

I think both sides are taking this too far.It's just a freaking T-shirt people.