29 replies to this topic

#16 FlintyV

FlintyV

Neowinian Senior

• 2,377 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 15:21

Little update -

The 14-year-old kid arrested over his pro-NRA shirt now faces a year in jail

The West Virginia eighth-grader who was suspended and arrested in late April after he refused to remove a t-shirt supporting the National Rifle Association appeared in court this week and was formally charged with obstructing an officer.

As CBS affiliate WTRF reports, 14-year-old Jared Marcum now faces a $500 fine and a maximum of one year in prison.

The boy’s father, Allen Lardieri, is not pleased.

“Me, I’m more of a fighter and so is Jared and eventually we’re going to get through this,” Lardieri told WTRF.  “I don’t think it should have ever gotten this far.”

“Every aspect of this is just totally wrong,” Lardieri added.  “He has no background of anything criminal up until now and it just seems like nobody wants to admit they’re wrong.”

http://news.yahoo.co...-071819724.html

#17 ahhell

ahhell

Neowinian Senior

• 8,896 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 15:29

Does the kid really need a freakin' lawyer??

#18 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• 5,809 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 15:36

"I will go to the ends of the earth, I will call people, I will write letters, I will do everything in the legal realm to make sure this does not happen again," Lardieri said, according to the report.

If wearing a particular t-shirt of any kind is that important to you it's the time to re-evaluate your priorities.

#19 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• 5,809 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 15:43

The problem in this country to be quite honest starts with the administration and faculty at schools...

And bad parenting.

When i was young i was asked to turn inside out a metal group t-shirt that was inoffensive so the logo could not be seen. I complied with the teacher. Why ? Cause that's what you freaking do when you're a kid and i knew my dad would support the teacher and not support me over a stupid t-shirt.

I agree some rules at school are dumb. And saying they are dumb is okay. But you still have to comply because this is the way life works.

#20 chrisj1968

chrisj1968

copyrighted!! ©

• 4,220 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 15:48

This all boils down to a serious lack of critical thinking. They don't want any gray areas that might require using common sense to actually think about things. Now they can stand back and scream the zero-tolerance mantra. No need to use that lump three feet above their ass.

LOL.. I almost choked on my ramen noodles..

And bad parenting.

When i was young i was asked to turn over a metal group t-shirt that was inoffensive so the logo could not be seen. I complied with the teacher. Why ? Cause that's what you freaking do when you're a kid and i knew my dad would support the teacher and not support me over a stupid t-shirt.

I agree some rules at school are dumb. And saying they are dumb is okay. But you still have to comply because this is the way life works. If my boss say no NRA t-shirt then it is no NRA t-shirt.

I think it is the overt ludicrousness of the issue. like the kid beign suspended from school for what was construed as the boy biting his pop tart into the shape of what was perceived as a gun..

#21 wv@gt

wv@gt

Neowinian Senior

• 4,109 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 15:53

What more than likely happend is that the Teacher went with the zero tolerance policy, kid goes to the Principal and flips out over being suspended, only reason I could see the Police being called. Police get there kid, refuses to cooperate. 

To be honest though, yes there is nothing stating he can't wear the shirt, and I would imagine the family is an NRA supporter as well, but really do you want your kid to be getting that kind of attention in the first place. In todays day in age people are very sensitive to this stuff especially when it comes down to the NRA, parents should have thought about it before letting the kid wear the shirt to school. 

On the school side, simple thing would have been to leave it alone, talk to the kid/parents after class/school and explain that the shirt is sensitive to some people and suggest not wearing it.  When I was growing up, I saw this happen several times at school, heck our principal had a box of plain white T's in the office if he thought the shirt in question was too over the top for school

#22 Stoffel

Stoffel

Being on the ocean is cooler then being in front of a Computer

• 1,927 posts
  • Phone: WP 8.1 Update

Posted 18 June 2013 - 15:54

Don't you think there is more to the story? Why would a school call the cops for a T-shirt?

The kid must have gone in a serious fit about it and that's why they called the cops, no?

Or are people really this dumb these days?

I do agree with Lap on this one. When we were young and the teacher told us to do something we did it, that was called having respect for your superior.

And the parents would side with the teachers, not try to sue them afterwards.

#23 bguy_1986

bguy_1986

Neowinian

• 1,473 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 17:18

Don't you think there is more to the story? Why would a school call the cops for a T-shirt?

The kid must have gone in a serious fit about it and that's why they called the cops, no?

Or are people really this dumb these days?

I do agree with Lap on this one. When we were young and the teacher told us to do something we did it, that was called having respect for your superior.

And the parents would side with the teachers, not try to sue them afterwards.

I agree but at some point enough is enough.  When the teachers are no longer using common sense to allow a t-shirt you've got to put your foot down and hopefully somebody else would use common sense.  But I also think something is missing from this story.  It's gotten too big for this to be an issue over a NRA shirt.

#24 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• 5,936 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 17:24

There are rules at school and if you can't hack those rules TS. Given the kind of fearmongering the gun lobbies usually do I have my doubts that a pro NRA t-shirt is the only infraction here.

#25 SierraSonic

SierraSonic

SierraSonic

• 1,025 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 18:07

There are rules at school and if you can't hack those rules TS. Given the kind of fearmongering the gun lobbies usually do I have my doubts that a pro NRA t-shirt is the only infraction here.

? According the article you just DIDN'T read, he broke no rules.

#26 wv@gt

wv@gt

Neowinian Senior

• 4,109 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 18:19

Like I said above there needs to be common sense with not only the administration, but the parents as well. 

Parents should have realized or at least understand that with the NRA being such a touchy subject, that allowing a kid that age to wear it would be the target of some discussion 

#27 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• 5,936 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 20:41

? According the article you just DIDN'T read, he broke no rules.

Which is why I also said (if you'd bothered reading my post properly) that I doubted that we were being given the full story.

#28 McKay

McKay

Neowinian Stallion

• 5,983 posts
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 18 June 2013 - 20:54

If wearing a particular t-shirt of any kind is that important to you it's the time to re-evaluate your priorities.

If I were him in this situation, I'd be doing it purely out of principle now.

#29 FlintyV

FlintyV

Neowinian Senior

• 2,377 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 21:21

If I were him in this situation, I'd be doing it purely out of principle now.

And what principle would that be?

#30 +_Alexander

_Alexander

Neowinian

• 1,157 posts
  • Phone: Nokia 521

Posted 19 June 2013 - 00:03

Indoctrinate them young. Horrible parents.