OCZ Vector 256gb SSD...catastrophic failures

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#46 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 20 October 2013 - 13:03

I have a OCZ Revo I've had to send in twice...

once because I couldn't update the firmware, once because the one they sent me had a bad controller

I think their reputation is entirely because of their early Sandforce controller drives (including the Revo) not their product quality in general.

My Vertex 4 has been quite good.  They aren't my first or my last choice for SSDs...but no complaints here.

#47 ShockD

ShockD

Antagonist

Posted 20 October 2013 - 13:14

I have a OCZ Revo I've had to send in twice...

once because I couldn't update the firmware, once because the one they sent me had a bad controller

I think their reputation is entirely because of their early Sandforce controller drives (including the Revo) not their product quality in general.

My Vertex 4 has been quite good.  They aren't my first or my last choice for SSDs...but no complaints here.

You are lucky. My brother owns a computer electronics store and says that almost every customer that bought a Vertex had to return it in 1 year. He had a Vertex himself when one day it just failed and denied to start. They seem to have some kind of factory defect.

#48 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 20 October 2013 - 14:18

You are lucky. My brother owns a computer electronics store and says that almost every customer that bought a Vertex had to return it in 1 year. He had a Vertex himself when one day it just failed and denied to start. They seem to have some kind of factory defect.

Which one?  Vertex 1 and 2 were early Sandforce iirc and those are the only ones I don't trust (though with the latest firmware they're usable.)  3 was later Sandforce stuff which should be better but I haven't really checked.  4 is Marvell and I haven't heard of any problems with it.

I admit I know little of 3.2.

#49 ShockD

ShockD

Antagonist

Posted 20 October 2013 - 14:24

Which one?  Vertex 1 and 2 were early Sandforce iirc and those are the only ones I don't trust (though with the latest firmware they're usable.)  3 was later Sandforce stuff which should be better but I haven't really checked.  4 is Marvell and I haven't heard of any problems with it.

All of them. I don't know, they could have been defect batches or slobbery users... I really hope they have fixed them and yours do well but for us, we know for sure we aren't using Vertex again.