OCZ Vector 256gb SSD...catastrophic failures

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#46 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 20 October 2013 - 13:03

I have a OCZ Revo I've had to send in twice...

once because I couldn't update the firmware, once because the one they sent me had a bad controller

I think their reputation is entirely because of their early Sandforce controller drives (including the Revo) not their product quality in general.

My Vertex 4 has been quite good.  They aren't my first or my last choice for SSDs...but no complaints here.

#47 ShockD

ShockD

Antagonist

Posted 20 October 2013 - 13:14

I have a OCZ Revo I've had to send in twice...

once because I couldn't update the firmware, once because the one they sent me had a bad controller

I think their reputation is entirely because of their early Sandforce controller drives (including the Revo) not their product quality in general.

My Vertex 4 has been quite good.  They aren't my first or my last choice for SSDs...but no complaints here.

You are lucky. My brother owns a computer electronics store and says that almost every customer that bought a Vertex had to return it in 1 year. He had a Vertex himself when one day it just failed and denied to start. They seem to have some kind of factory defect.

#48 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 20 October 2013 - 14:18

You are lucky. My brother owns a computer electronics store and says that almost every customer that bought a Vertex had to return it in 1 year. He had a Vertex himself when one day it just failed and denied to start. They seem to have some kind of factory defect.

Which one?  Vertex 1 and 2 were early Sandforce iirc and those are the only ones I don't trust (though with the latest firmware they're usable.)  3 was later Sandforce stuff which should be better but I haven't really checked.  4 is Marvell and I haven't heard of any problems with it.

I admit I know little of 3.2.

#49 ShockD

ShockD

Antagonist

Posted 20 October 2013 - 14:24

Which one?  Vertex 1 and 2 were early Sandforce iirc and those are the only ones I don't trust (though with the latest firmware they're usable.)  3 was later Sandforce stuff which should be better but I haven't really checked.  4 is Marvell and I haven't heard of any problems with it.

All of them. I don't know, they could have been defect batches or slobbery users... I really hope they have fixed them and yours do well but for us, we know for sure we aren't using Vertex again.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!