3 replies to this topic

#1 vetJohn Callaham

John Callaham

Neowinian

• 666 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 00:23

Red Faction, Darksiders and other THQ games bought by Nordic Games
by John Callaham

While Homeworld may have been sold off to Gearbox Software, there's a lot of game properties from the now defunct THQ that will be acquired by just one company. Nordic Games, which publishes titles such as Painkiller, announced they have secured the rights to quite a few of THQ's IP for $4.9 million.

Nordic Games' press release reveals that the publisher will soon own the rights to 150 of THQ's former games (the final court approval will come in May).  Among the games it will soon control will be the Red Faction series of sci-fi first and third person shooters, which were developed by Volition. Nordic Games will also own the rights to Darksiders. The two games in the third person action series, developed by the now defunct Vigil Games, were among THQ's last major game franchises.

Nordic Games will also own the rights to games like Titan Quest, Supreme Commander, Summoner and many others. In its press release, the company's CEO Lars Wingefors said, "In the long term, we either want to cooperate with the original creators or best possible developers in order to work on sequels or additional content for these titles." However, it could be a while before we see any such sequels coming from the publisher.

Source: Nordic Games | Image via THQ

#2 compl3x

compl3x

Feels good, dunnit?

• 8,517 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 24 April 2013 - 01:10

Darksiders is a decent IP. I'd like to see the two other horsemen have their own game.

Red Faction was the **** back in the day, but I fear it'll never be any more than a filler title if anyone bothers to make another one. A reboot of the series might be cool.

#3 Coagulated

Coagulated

Neowinian

• 479 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 11:51

Darksiders is a decent IP. I'd like to see the two other horsemen have their own game.

Red Faction was the **** back in the day, but I fear it'll never be any more than a filler title if anyone bothers to make another one. A reboot of the series might be cool.

I'd like to see Darksiders become the original 4-player co-op they had intended. I still need to finish the first game and start the second.

I thought the first Red Faction was revolutionary at the time and a great deal of fun, I still have my original copy lying about somewhere.. However, the second really didn't capture the fun of the first game, and the further Sandbox releases have bored me to tears.

#4 Aergan

Aergan

Neowinian Senior

• 2,407 posts
  • OS: Xubuntu 14.04.1 / Server 2012 R2 / Ubuntu Server 14.04.1
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z1

Posted 24 April 2013 - 21:41

Could be worse, Darksiders could have gone to EA...

I wonder who will end up developing any successors or if they go with a dreaded reboot. If they could, it would be great if they could hire in some of the original Vigil team and write Mark Hamill a blank cheque.