• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 vetJohn Callaham

John Callaham

Neowinian

Posted 24 April 2013 - 11:58

Only 390,000 Nintendo Wii U consoles shipped in Q1 2013
by John Callaham

Nintendo is having a hard time getting people to buy its new Wii U game console. Today, the company admitted that it only shipped 390,000 units of its next generation game hardware worldwide in the first quarter of 2013. So far the company has shipped 3.45 million units of the console, well below its projection of four million units.

Joystiq reports that Nintendo blamed the lack of the success of the Wii U to delays of many major games but claims that it sees Wii U sales going up to nine million additional units in its next fiscal year thanks to the launch of "key Nintendo titles."

Nintendo also reported that profits for its just completed fiscal year came in at just over ¥7 billion, well below its previous projections of ¥14 billion. Even though it missed its profit forecast, Nintendo's financial situation is still better than it was last year, when it recorded a loss of ¥43 billion.

Nintendo will have its work cut out for itself in its next fiscal year as the Wii U will have to deal with the launch of Sony's PlayStation 4 console by the end of 2013. Microsoft is also expected to launch the successor to the Xbox 360 by the end of the year.

Source: Joystiq

#2 fusi0n

fusi0n

Don't call it a come back

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: iPhone 5S 64GB

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:02

That sucks.. Maybe when they drop the new mario kart sales will go up!

#3 Snake89

Snake89

Neowinian

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:14

Samething happened with the 3ds. But once some games come out for it that's worth playing other then the virtual console stuff, it'll takeoff pretty good.

#4 fusi0n

fusi0n

Don't call it a come back

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: iPhone 5S 64GB

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:15

Samething happened with the 3ds. But once some games come out for it that's worth playing other then the virtual console stuff, it'll takeoff pretty good.

I am hoping so.. I need they need to market it better. Most people don't know what it is or think it is an addon for the Wii

#5 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:29

Nintendo had to slash the price of the 3DS for it to gain any momement. It may choose to go that route with the Wii U but it is already selling the console at a loss, so it's a risky strategy. The biggest concern is the new consoles from Microsoft and Sony, both of which will be dramatically more powerful than the Wii U and heavily subsidised.

Nintendo's problem is that it released a current-gen console at an inflated price with terrible third-party support. Most of the exclusive games are rehashes of Wii titles or aren't due out until the end of the year. It was relying on the tablet-controller to be as popular as the Wiimote amongst the casual crowd and that simply hasn't happened, while the core crowd is better served by existing consoles. For people that have got money to spare the Wii U is a decent secondary console but few will choose it as their primary console.

#6 thealexweb

thealexweb

Neowinian Senior

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:32

It needs a good Pokemon game, and probably a lot of other first party titles like Zelda, (more) Mario, etc.

#7 CaptainBeno

CaptainBeno

Neowinian

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:34

if anyone has learned anything about nintendo is that it knows what its doing . it has proven itself over and over again it always starts out slow then becomes rock solid and sells millions , o wait its already selling millions just not at the speed people think it should sell.

nintendo has never let the world down never.

cant say that for the RROD lol

#8 Snake89

Snake89

Neowinian

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:45

if anyone has learned anything about nintendo is that it knows what its doing . it has proven itself over and over again it always starts out slow then becomes rock solid and sells millions , o wait its already selling millions just not at the speed people think it should sell.

nintendo has never let the world down never.

cant say that for the RROD lol

Only been proven over and over for the past 100+ years it's been in business. :)

#9 Brian M.

Brian M.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 10

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:55

Nintendo's problem is that it released a current-gen console at an inflated price with terrible third-party support.

How exactly is it current gen? It's the first new (major) console in years, and features things not seen on any "current gen" console - touch screen controller, video/audio streamed to the controller, etc.

New console sales are always slow to start with. Look at the PS3, for example.

#10 Xenomorph

Xenomorph

Gerbil Warlord

Posted 24 April 2013 - 13:32

Confusing name and no advertisements? I'm surprised they even sold that many.

#11 reactionary007

reactionary007

christian

Posted 24 April 2013 - 13:42

Absolutely due to lack of good titles. There are two games I'm interested in now... Super Mario Bros. Wii U and Madden 2013. It would cost me an initial fee of almost 450 to play two games. Expand the Virtual Console capabilities, get a Zelda and a Mario Kart out there... drop the console price a bit - and you have a buyer!

#12 Skiver

Skiver

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 24 April 2013 - 13:46

Its quite bad when you also see articles like the below being posted;

http://www.neowin.ne...ring-march-2013

In a single month Microsoft managed to sell over half on old gen console - I haven't seen any PS3 statistics to relate this to but I imagine they are not far behind Nintendo either.

Since its release I have not really see anything that would draw me into thinking about getting one - especially when you walk into a store and it has maybe 20 games on the shelves in total for this console.

#13 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 24 April 2013 - 14:18

How exactly is it current gen? It's the first new (major) console in years, and features things not seen on any "current gen" console - touch screen controller, video/audio streamed to the controller, etc.

The reason the Wii U is current gen is because it produces the same level of visual fidelity as current consoles - the CPU is more limited than that of the X360 and PS3 while the GPU is slightly more powerful but the end result is the same. Yes it has additional functionality with the controller but so does the X360 with the Kinect and the PS3 with the Move. At the end of the day gamers are expected to pay more for a system that does the same. For some the tablet controller will be a selling point but for many others it won't be, as it has a short battery-life, is more awkward to hold and many consider it gimmicky. The true next-gen consoles—the PS4 and X720—will have much better performance and will render at 1080p by standard.

There's nothing next-gen about the Wii U.

#14 GaMMa

GaMMa

Neowinian

Posted 24 April 2013 - 14:28

Wii U outputs at 1080p. The controller is surprisingly light and easy to hold. The controller has the potential to offload GUI elements, removing the need to pause the game to cycle weapons, offering a more seamless experience. Plus the Wii U is the only console to play new Nintendo games (whenever those come out).

I'll get a Xbox 720 for 3rd party games. Hopefully the cost isn't as much as the rumors say and it'd be nice if Xbox Live wasn't required to play games.

These numbers are troubling for Nintendo, but when there aren't many games I wouldn't say it's unexpected.

P.S. Miiverse rocks

#15 vetDirtyLarry

DirtyLarry

®®\vers.12.vis.13.u.03.al\DL

• Phone: Galaxy S4

Posted 24 April 2013 - 14:47

Its quite bad when you also see articles like the below being posted;

http://www.neowin.ne...ring-march-2013

In a single month Microsoft managed to sell over half on old gen console - I haven't seen any PS3 statistics to relate this to but I imagine they are not far behind Nintendo either.

Since its release I have not really see anything that would draw me into thinking about getting one - especially when you walk into a store and it has maybe 20 games on the shelves in total for this console.

I just have to ask, are you sure about that comment about the PS3 not being not far behind the WiiU?
The speculated numbers for March, which is the article you reference above, is 211,000 for the PS3. Not been confirmed yet, but that is the rumored number. WiiU, is 67,000.
Again, those numbers are not confirmed yet, but they are usually a pretty close estimate. So actually, the PS3 is not to far behind the 360.

I just do not get how XBox supporters still can sit there and make comments that the PS3 sells poorly, when global sales say the exact opposite. I know, I know, global sales do not count since the 360 is always dead last in Japan.