45 replies to this topic

#16 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 24 April 2013 - 14:50

Wii U outputs at 1080p.

So does the PS3 and X360 but they only render at 720p for most games.

#17 fusi0n

fusi0n

Don't call it a come back

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 24 April 2013 - 15:01

Yeah, my wife loves Nintendo.. We play our 3DSs all the time.. A few more 1st party titles need to come out before I go out and buy one.. but it appears there are fun things you can download from the Wii Store.. Not sure what but people are raving about it.. maybe I should look more into it :D

#18 vcfan

vcfan

Straight Ballin'

Posted 24 April 2013 - 17:02

I just do not get how XBox supporters still can sit there and make comments that the PS3 sells poorly, when global sales say the exact opposite. I know, I know, global sales do not count since the 360 is always dead last in Japan.

sony can sell their ps3 in specialized markets and make some software for those markets which inflates their "console sales" numbers, but when you look at the big picture,and look at software sales and console spending, i think you will see that the xbox absolutely destroys the ps3. the xbox360 has sold more consoles than ps3 worldwide btw,just in case youre hinting that it hasnt. If you look at in the US for example, in february, 5 of the top 10 software title sales of any console were xbox copies.

#19 vetDirtyLarry

DirtyLarry

®®\vers.12.vis.13.u.03.al\DL

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 24 April 2013 - 17:36

sony can sell their ps3 in specialized markets and make some software for those markets which inflates their "console sales" numbers, but when you look at the big picture,and look at software sales and console spending, i think you will see that the xbox absolutely destroys the ps3. the xbox360 has sold more consoles than ps3 worldwide btw,just in case youre hinting that it hasnt. If you look at in the US for example, in february, 5 of the top 10 software title sales of any console were xbox copies.

Never said they sold more, just said they do not sell poorly as people, ironically just like yourself, claim they do.
Seriously, talk about a limited and UScentric view of things, and what just comes off as a whole bunch of excuses and just not accepting the truth of the matter.
So Europe and Japan are specialized markets? Holy ****, that is seriously the most limited world view I have ever read.
And make "specialized software" to inflate their console sales? A sold console is a sold console is it not?
So according to your claim, if it was so easy to do, why does MS not do the same thing??? Could they not make "specialized software" as well. Which that is a rhetorical question by the way, What do you think Halo is?? MS obviously has a focus on the US, they are a US company. So Halo is no doubt also "specialized software." But clearly you are way to blinded by the fact America is the only place that matters to realize otherwise.
So yes, Sony's main focus is on Japan, their home territory. But they also do not do a bad job at all making games for the rest of the world.
This is a bad thing again why???
And rough numbers indicate MS has sold 75 million consoles. Sony has sold 74. That is just a rough estimate.
MS had a year lead.
MS also had a decent amount of repeat customers because their first couple of hardware designs sucked. Myself included.

So that is clearly not destroying. However if the US is all that matters, then sure, it destroys as you claim. However I have enough of a world view to know money is money, and the global numbers clearly tell me no one is being destroyed. But seriously if it makes you sleep better at night that one company is destroying another company in your limited world, more power to you.
It just drives me crazy that people are so limited in how they view things, and it actually is the quintessential american view on everything, not just video games. USA #1 right? :rolleyes:
No wonder the rest of the world hates the arrogance that comes out of the US.

And just look at software sales for major games. Obviously the First Person Shooter sells better on the 360, as that is the games that cater towards the 360 crowd.
But then look at other types of games, like Third Person Games.
Tomb Raider - .9m on 360 - 1.01 on PS3
Dead Space 3 - 1.3m on 360 | 1.86m on PS3
Resident Evil 6 - 1.55m on 360 | 2.41 on PS3

But yeah, the 360 clearly destroys in all video game genres.
Seriously, you can hate the PS3 all you want. Just do not twist what is the truth of the situation...
First person Shooters are not the only video game genre. And the US is not the only sales that matter.

And I own all of the consoles. 360, Wii, PS3, PS Vita, WiiU, and even pre-ordered the OUYA. I am not a PS3 Fanboy.
What I am however is a truth teller. And to say the 360 is the best console out there is not a fact. It is an opinion. And when people state it as fact and twist numbers to back their claim, that is what drives my crazy. Again, prefer the 360 all you want, but to use terms like specialized software, and to dismiss other regions in the world just because they are not the US, that is just, well, plain silly to me.

#20 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

Posted 24 April 2013 - 17:41

WOw the thing is almost a collectors item.

#21 Brian M.

Brian M.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 11

Posted 24 April 2013 - 18:25

The reason the Wii U is current gen is because it produces the same level of visual fidelity as current consoles - the CPU is more limited than that of the X360 and PS3 while the GPU is slightly more powerful but the end result is the same. Yes it has additional functionality with the controller but so does the X360 with the Kinect and the PS3 with the Move. At the end of the day gamers are expected to pay more for a system that does the same. For some the tablet controller will be a selling point but for many others it won't be, as it has a short battery-life, is more awkward to hold and many consider it gimmicky. The true next-gen consoles—the PS4 and X720—will have much better performance and will render at 1080p by standard.

There's nothing next-gen about the Wii U.

"Next Gen" isn't just about power or graphics. That's not what nintendo has ever been about.

If anything, in my opinion, we're using the wrong terminology. The Wii U should be "Current Gen", but the 360/PS3 should be "previous gen".

#22 +Ryster

Ryster

Evil Teddy Rules!

• Phone: Lumia 930

Posted 24 April 2013 - 21:10

How exactly is it current gen? It's the first new (major) console in years, and features things not seen on any "current gen" console - touch screen controller, video/audio streamed to the controller, etc.

New console sales are always slow to start with. Look at the PS3, for example.

Rightly or wrongly, when the vast majority of people talk about the "gen" of a console, it is mostly in relation to the console's graphics capabilities. Gimmicky new control methods don't enter into the equation. In that respect, Wii U is most definitely "current" Gen, not "next" Gen. The brand new Nintendo Wii U console barely rivals the several-years-old Xbox 360.

The Wii U should be "Current Gen", but the 360/PS3 should be "previous gen".

Why? The Xbox 360 and PS3 are most definitely the current generation of consoles when talking about horsepower and graphical capabilities (what most sane people rate consoles with). Again, wether rating a console most on it's power is good or bad, is open for debate. But that's just the reality. By that token, the Wii U only brings Nintendo up to par with the 360 and PS3, it did not surpass them. The Wii on the other hand wasn't even capable of 720p HD, and is most decided last gen, ala Xbox and PS2.

#23 AR556

AR556

Neowinian Senior

Posted 24 April 2013 - 21:15

I played a demo of the new Mario @ Target and thought it was awesome, but its not $350 awesome. I'll get one eventually, if nothing else to transfer all my current Virtual Console games to.

#24 majortom1981

majortom1981

The crazy one

Posted 24 April 2013 - 21:16

Rightly or wrongly, when the vast majority of people talk about the "gen" of a console, it is mostly in relation to the console's graphics capabilities. Gimmicky new control methods don't enter into the equation. In that respect, Wii U is most definitely "current" Gen, not "next" Gen. The brand new Nintendo Wii U console barely rivals the several-years-old Xbox 360.

Why? The Xbox 360 and PS3 are most definitely the current generation of consoles when talking about horsepower and graphical capabilities (what most sane people rate consoles with). Again, wether rating a console most on it's power is good or bad, is open for debate. But that's just the reality.

It is next gen vs the wii. that's all that matters in regards to Nintendo consoles.

#25 +Ryster

Ryster

Evil Teddy Rules!

• Phone: Lumia 930

Posted 24 April 2013 - 21:17

It is next gen vs the wii. that's all that matters in regards to Nintendo consoles.

I concur, Nintendo are not even running in the same race as Microsoft and Sony. It's not really fair to compare them at all.

#26 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 24 April 2013 - 21:22

"Next Gen" isn't just about power or graphics. That's not what nintendo has ever been about.

If anything, in my opinion, we're using the wrong terminology. The Wii U should be "Current Gen", but the 360/PS3 should be "previous gen".

The current generation / next generation terminology is simply a rough measure of where each console lies in terms of power. Despite being released a year later than the X360, few consider the Wii to be the same generation as the X360 and PS3 because its hardware was very limited (it couldn't handle 720p, its controller wasn't designed for core games); the Wii U is in a similar position, as in terms of hardware it's a current generation console with the addition of the GamePad controller. The X360 didn't become a next generation console simply because Microsoft bundled the Kinect with it.

As I said, that doesn't make it a bad console but most people will stick to their existing console (X360 / PS3) or wait for the next generation consoles from Microsoft and Sony. It doesn't make much sense to pay over-the-odds for a console that has the same capabilities but a fraction of the gaming catalogue and poor developer support of cheaper consoles - most multiplatform games aren't even being released on the Wii U and the GamePad is too gimmicky to genuinely revolutionise gameplay. Its primary audience is families, where the asymmetric gameplay opportunities provided by the GamePad will shine through and because children aren't as concerned about having the latest and greatest graphics. Unfortunately for Nintendo, most families are on a tight budget because of the financial depression.

#27 vcfan

vcfan

Straight Ballin'

Posted 24 April 2013 - 23:18

Never said they sold more, just said they do not sell poorly as people, ironically just like yourself, claim they do.
Seriously, talk about a limited and UScentric view of things, and what just comes off as a whole bunch of excuses and just not accepting the truth of the matter.
So Europe and Japan are specialized markets? Holy ****, that is seriously the most limited world view I have ever read.
And make "specialized software" to inflate their console sales? A sold console is a sold console is it not?
So according to your claim, if it was so easy to do, why does MS not do the same thing??? Could they not make "specialized software" as well. Which that is a rhetorical question by the way, What do you think Halo is?? MS obviously has a focus on the US, they are a US company. So Halo is no doubt also "specialized software." But clearly you are way to blinded by the fact America is the only place that matters to realize otherwise.
So yes, Sony's main focus is on Japan, their home territory. But they also do not do a bad job at all making games for the rest of the world.
This is a bad thing again why???

Sony is Japan. The Japanese will buy anything with Sony or Nintendo on it. Microsoft doesnt have a presence in Japan. Sony has had a major presence in the U.S for a long time. Microsoft cant just create this software for that market because they don't understand it. Its a cultural thing. It has nothing to do with which product is superior.

And rough numbers indicate MS has sold 75 million consoles. Sony has sold 74. That is just a rough estimate.
MS had a year lead.
MS also had a decent amount of repeat customers because their first couple of hardware designs sucked. Myself included.

You could say Sony had a lead,with PS1, PS2,which was a massive success.They had the mindshare. Nothing prevented people from waiting for the PS3.

And are you saying some people buying a ps3 slim after buying a PS3 phat has never happened?

So that is clearly not destroying. However if the US is all that matters, then sure, it destroys as you claim. However I have enough of a world view to know money is money, and the global numbers clearly tell me no one is being destroyed. But seriously if it makes you sleep better at night that one company is destroying another company in your limited world, more power to you.
It just drives me crazy that people are so limited in how they view things, and it actually is the quintessential american view on everything, not just video games. USA #1 right? :rolleyes:
No wonder the rest of the world hates the arrogance that comes out of the US.

And just look at software sales for major games. Obviously the First Person Shooter sells better on the 360, as that is the games that cater towards the 360 crowd.
But then look at other types of games, like Third Person Games.
Tomb Raider - .9m on 360 - 1.01 on PS3
Dead Space 3 - 1.3m on 360 | 1.86m on PS3
Resident Evil 6 - 1.55m on 360 | 2.41 on PS3

But yeah, the 360 clearly destroys in all video game genres.
Seriously, you can hate the PS3 all you want. Just do not twist what is the truth of the situation...
First person Shooters are not the only video game genre. And the US is not the only sales that matter.

so you cherry picked a few games that are close and tried to discredit my claim? Because if you follow the numbers like I do, yes the Xbox destroys others in software sales.Go look it up.

And I own all of the consoles. 360, Wii, PS3, PS Vita, WiiU, and even pre-ordered the OUYA. I am not a PS3 Fanboy.

I also own 3 Xbox 360s,PS3 and a wii. Not getting suckered into buying a PS4 or wiiu this time. I am not an XBox fanboy,its just the better system for me. If you want ill message you on PSN,give me your ID,or if you have black ops ii ill destroy you :p , not really im not that good yet.

What I am however is a truth teller. And to say the 360 is the best console out there is not a fact. It is an opinion. And when people state it as fact and twist numbers to back their claim, that is what drives my crazy. Again, prefer the 360 all you want, but to use terms like specialized software, and to dismiss other regions in the world just because they are not the US, that is just, well, plain silly to me.

First of all im not discrediting other parts of the world. Im just saying, if Japan has 10 million consoles lead,and the software for it is predominately Japanese based, that makes up just a small chunk of software sales,yet its a big number for console sales. You're also forgetting the bluray factor. Some people bought it primarily for a bluray player,and barely buy software titles. Just trying to put things in perspective. If you buy an Xbox,you have to get ready to pay up the ass. Game titles,xbox live,music,videos because no one is sure as hell using it as a DVD player that sounds like a jet engine.

#28 vetDirtyLarry

DirtyLarry

®®\vers.12.vis.13.u.03.al\DL

Posted 25 April 2013 - 13:17

Sony is Japan. The Japanese will buy anything with Sony or Nintendo on it. Microsoft doesnt have a presence in Japan. Sony has had a major presence in the U.S for a long time. Microsoft cant just create this software for that market because they don't understand it. Its a cultural thing. It has nothing to do with which product is superior.

You could say Sony had a lead,with PS1, PS2,which was a massive success.They had the mindshare. Nothing prevented people from waiting for the PS3.

And are you saying some people buying a ps3 slim after buying a PS3 phat has never happened?

so you cherry picked a few games that are close and tried to discredit my claim? Because if you follow the numbers like I do, yes the Xbox destroys others in software sales.Go look it up.

I also own 3 Xbox 360s,PS3 and a wii. Not getting suckered into buying a PS4 or wiiu this time. I am not an XBox fanboy,its just the better system for me. If you want ill message you on PSN,give me your ID,or if you have black ops ii ill destroy you :p , not really im not that good yet.

First of all im not discrediting other parts of the world. Im just saying, if Japan has 10 million consoles lead,and the software for it is predominately Japanese based, that makes up just a small chunk of software sales,yet its a big number for console sales. You're also forgetting the bluray factor. Some people bought it primarily for a bluray player,and barely buy software titles. Just trying to put things in perspective. If you buy an Xbox,you have to get ready to pay up the ass. Game titles,xbox live,music,videos because no one is sure as hell using it as a DVD player that sounds like a jet engine.

People buying replacements PS3's is a much frequent occurrence then 360's. Absolutely no doubt about it. There is no way at all just as many people purchased replacement PS3's as 360's. None. It just is not how things went down. It was actually ironic as I was on some other gaming website that reported this news, either Kotaku or Polygon, and someone people started arguing about the 360 PS3 and WiiU in the comments, and two people talked about how they had to replace their 360's multiple times. This was just yesterday. I think it was Kotaku and I tried to find it again just now, but their new comments structure is just so weird. But I did find it truly funny people were still talking about it to this day. It was a seriously messed up situation.

And I actually did not cherry pick those games, they were the first 3 that popped into my head that were not FPS's. I did look up Black Ops 2, and I really do not think the numbers said destroy, I was just at work and shouldn't have even taken the time I did to write what I did. But okay, Black Ops sold 12.05 Million on the 360 and 10.05 Million on the PS3. Sure 2 million is a lot, but I do not see that as destroying when it also sold 10 million on the PS3???

And I really am still not getting you with the specialized software thing, and I do not think Sony makes only games for Japan, but lets pretend they do. Lets also use Uncharted 2 vs Halo 4.

Uncharted 2 for sold 6.15 Million globally. Halo 4 sold 8.11.
If what you are saying is all true, that people purchased it just as a BluRay player (which sure they did) and it is more focused for Japan, than all of that would add up to the fact the PS3 has the better attachment rate no? If less people buy the PS3 to game, and they have less consoles sold overall, wouldn't that mean they have a higher attachment rate for the games themselves if you go by percentages?
It would be pretty much dead even at that point, if not to their advantage.

So you share the fact the 360 is more suited to your personal needs, that is fine. But that does not mean it is the better console. And the numbers do not say it has been destroyed either. Actually quite the opposite. I think the attachment rate would be equal to or superior to the 360's when all was looked at accordingly.

Finally, I actually played Black Ops 2 on the 360, as I do most FPS's I do not play on my PC. :laugh:

#29 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 25 April 2013 - 15:27

So does the PS3 and X360 but they only render at 720p for most games.

Most big titles are under 720p. Mostly 540p and such.

How is Japan more a specialized market than USA ??? How is a game like Journey more a "specialized software" than any generic fps ???

Not sure i follow you here. Unless you are one of the people who believe USA === world (which is a popular mentality these days in USA).

According to wikipedia the XBox 360 sold 77 millions (as of April 2013) world wide and the PS3 sold 70 millions (as of Novembre 2012) world wide.

If you think the 360 destroys the PS3 world wide then you are living in la la land.

#30 macrosslover

macrosslover

Muad’Dib

Posted 25 April 2013 - 15:31

Most big titles are under 720p. Mostly 540p and such.

How is Japan more a specialized market than USA ???

Not sure i follow you here. Unless you are one of the people who believe USA === world.

According to wikipedia the XBox 360 sold 77 millions (as of April 2013) world wide and the PS3 sold 70 millions (as of Novembre 2012) world wide.

Sony recently updated their numbers to at least 76 million from what I remember so they are still close to the 360. Whether they are slightly behind or slightly ahead.

and USA ===the WORLD!!!! MUAHAHAH lol