15 posts in this topic

Posted

The cost of prom night rose 5% this year to an average $1,139 per attendee

Posted

Yet another example of how the ones that least can afford it, tend to spend out of their means on stupid things. Case in point, if you make less than 30K, why would you spend on more than the bare min. on a prom? Yes, you might need a new dress or rent the tux. But you can hitch a ride (double date, I've done it) and go to a less than exclusive restaurant if the meal is not at the prom.

Interesting article though!

Posted

I don't think I spent more than $300 for prom, if that. We drove ourselves. Tux rental was around $100, tickets $120 + flowers and pictures = around $300.
1 person likes this

Posted

Too bad many guys don't factor in a cheap** pack o' condoms on prom night vs. the potential for a whoops pregnancy/kid to have to pay for many times over down the line.

**: cheap not referring to quality LOL.

Posted

[quote name='Brandon' timestamp='1366823116' post='595656074']
I don't think I spent more than $300 for prom, if that. We drove ourselves. Tux rental was around $100, tickets $120 + flowers and pictures = around $300.
[/quote]

Yep I was thinking the same thing. What the heck are these people buying for over $1k? I can understand that the females have to spend more on their dress and getting makeup/hair done, but it certainly isn't that expensive.

Posted

The average is only that high because girls HAVE to buy retardedly expensive dresses that they will never wear again. If only they weren't so caddy and would wear reasonably priced, non-designer dresses...

Posted

[quote name='Astra.Xtreme' timestamp='1366824933' post='595656122']
Yep I was thinking the same thing. What the heck are these people buying for over $1k? I can understand that the females have to spend more on their dress and getting makeup/hair done, but it certainly isn't that expensive.
[/quote]

I'm guessing they are including stretch limo hummers, booze + the afterparty weekend at the lakehouse (being stereotypical here)

Posted

[quote name='Brandon' timestamp='1366827448' post='595656182']
I'm guessing they are including stretch limo hummers, booze + the afterparty weekend at the lakehouse (being stereotypical here)
[/quote]

Haha, well I suppose bottles of Goose and Patron add up. :rofl:

Posted

I'd be spending the $1139 on a computer. :p

Posted

Man that's a lot. I hosted prom (organized it, whatever), was one of the few who rented a costume and spent less than

Posted

Disgusting amount of money to spend. Not quite the same as we don't have (real) prom's here in the UK (I know we do but it's just schools pandering to kids who watch too much US TV) but at my university end of degree ball, I spent a few hundred on a dinner jacket combo, about fifty on hiring a limo, fifty on the ticket and about a hundred on drink for the night. And then I felt I'd overspent. And that was MY money, not parents (obviously).

Posted

seems anymore like 90% of the cost is the girls dress....

When I was in high school tickets cost about $75 each, tux rental was about $100 drive yourself and skip the limo, I mean seriously it's just a fa

Posted

[quote]
The cost of prom night rose 5% this year to an average $1,139 per attendee...
[/quote]

That's just irresponsible. Decent clothing can be had for much less than that. I do it all the time.

Posted

first world problems eh?

Posted

Wow that's a lot of money, I can still remember spending zero dollars and not going to mine. Great time.
1 person likes this