Never-released webOS smartphone codenamed WindsorNot revealed

windsornot-touchstone2_large_JPG_verge_medium_landscape.jpg

The device above is the all-touch webOS smartphone that never was. Long after HP's misadventure with Palm, a prototype of this previously-rumored phone ? codenamed the WindsorNot ? has been obtained by webOS Nation. The smartphone is said to have identical internals to the Pre 3, and it is centered around a 4-inch, 800 x 480 touchscreen. Unlike the Pre 3, however, it runs webOS 3.x, the same version that was used on the ill-fated HP TouchPad.

According to webOS Nation, the phone was developed under Jon Rubinstein and was intended to be released after the Pre 3, later in 2011. The Veer smartphone, TouchPad tablet, and 7-inch TouchPad Go were also planned for release that year, and with limited resources the decision was made to scrap the WindsorNot in favor of the Pre 3. It was determined that the WindsorNot would have required more development to get to market than the Pre 3 ? especially since the software was little more than a smaller version of what was running on the TouchPad. The report says the phone likely would not have been ready until 2012. This timeline caused AT&T to lose interest in the device: the carrier wanted to ship LTE phones that year, and the WindsorNot wasn't equipped with a cellular radio that could support the new technology.

Last year, an advertising agency that worked with HP released an image of the WindsorNot, confirming that the all-touch phone had indeed been in the works before HP pulled the plug on webOS hardware.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/4/24/4262298/never-released-webos-smartphone-codenamed-windsornot-revealed

I always loved their docks... I wish other companies would get on board with that innovation...

yep, all these years later, and even with some of the palm people moving on to google, and they still cant get it right. I cant stress how important those 4 little magnets are in those palm docks.

yep, all these years later, and even with some of the palm people moving on to google, and they still cant get it right. I cant stress how important those 4 little magnets are in those palm docks.

Agreed. Ingenious.