• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 OP Elliot B.

Elliot B.

Over 12 years on Neowin

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:51

Again just because its in a locked room does not mean there are no wired ports around the house, etc. Stating its in a locked room, does not mean your not wired too it is all I am trying to say. When I asked if your wired or not, stating you don't have access to the router does not rule out a wired connection.

So your saying flipping the breaker solved the slowness issue? There you go then, you have your work around. Have your landlord contact the isp to fix the problem.. Not sure what help you expect? Its not your router, your not the name on the contract with the ISP, etc. There is really not much you can do than to complain to your landlord or move ;)

It solves it for a few days, but of course, we can't keep turning the electricity to the downstairs on and off once a week.

I posted in hope there was a setting on the router that could have been causing this but if not, no worries, I'll keep moaning to the letting agents (it's what you have to do to get them to do anything).

#17 +djdanster

djdanster

Neowin elite

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4 White Frost

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:53

Ah, I've had a similar issue is the past, for me it was when the router was under so much stress on it's little CPU (for what ever reason) and it (in my case) was getting too hot to function. Flicking the switch gave it the opportunity to cool down!

#18 OP Elliot B.

Elliot B.

Over 12 years on Neowin

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:54

Ah, I've had a similar issue is the past, for me it was when the router was under so much stress on it's little CPU (for what ever reason) and it (in my case) was getting too hot to function. Flicking the switch gave it the opportunity to cool down!

Yeah, it's a probable cause since the router is from 2007. However, trying to explain (and convince) this to letting agents is not an easy task :p

#19 JJ_

JJ_

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 28 April 2013 - 01:08

Out of curiosity, what is the routers model number and which firmware is it currently on? The model number should begin with F5Dxxxx-xx and the firmware version will be a sequence of numbers - both are found on the main admin interface page.

#20 OP Elliot B.

Elliot B.

Over 12 years on Neowin

Posted 28 April 2013 - 17:40

Out of curiosity, what is the routers model number and which firmware is it currently on? The model number should begin with F5Dxxxx-xx and the firmware version will be a sequence of numbers - both are found on the main admin interface page.

Firmware Version 1.01.06 (Jul 29 2008 10:41:04)
Boot Version V0.05
Hardware F5D8633-4 v1 (01)
Serial No. 12810863346728

#21 JJ_

JJ_

Neowinian

Posted 28 April 2013 - 19:44

Hmm, I've worked with these in the past and what you describe is usually down indicative of a hardware fault. Nevertheless you could try changing around some settings to see if these alleviate the issue you're having.

In the 'Channel and SSID' menu change the Bandwidth option to 20/40MHz. Then turn off both Protected Mode and 802.11e/WMM QoS to OFF. Then go to the 'Wi-Fi Protected Setup' menu and set Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS) to disabled. Monitor the situation over a few days and let us know how you get on.

#22 OP Elliot B.

Elliot B.

Over 12 years on Neowin

Posted 29 April 2013 - 00:29

Hmm, I've worked with these in the past and what you describe is usually down indicative of a hardware fault. Nevertheless you could try changing around some settings to see if these alleviate the issue you're having. In the 'Channel and SSID' menu change the Bandwidth option to 20/40MHz. Then turn off both Protected Mode and 802.11e/WMM QoS to OFF. Then go to the 'Wi-Fi Protected Setup' menu and set Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS) to disabled. Monitor the situation over a few days and let us know how you get on.

Can you possibly explain why I should be changing these things? Just so I know before I do it :)

#23 JJ_

JJ_

Neowinian

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:45

I've had experience with both this router and its cable alternative the F5D8233-4 .Turning off WPS will not make a dime of difference. As you have no physical access to the router, WPS is useless and turning off wireless QoS will probably improve performance. I turned these off by default for my clients as I had a feeling both features were buggy at firmware level.

The 20/40MHz mode will give you speeds of up to 300Mbps. 20MHz limits you to 150Mbps