ubuntu 13.04 raring ringtail

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#16 Damien R.

Damien R.

XXX

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy

Posted 25 April 2013 - 15:51

I might install this, having problems with my Win 7 atm the only drawback is my Nvidia because it used to flicker on flash videos and normal videos on playback and it annoyed me...is that fixed? can someone confirm?

#17 Tuhin12

Tuhin12

Neowinian

Posted 25 April 2013 - 15:55

Must say this was the most stable beta of them all...Ri8 now downloadn d image...Actually RARING TO GO!!!

#18 +Karl L.

Karl L.

xorangekiller

• Tech Issues Solved: 15

Posted 25 April 2013 - 15:58

Here is a Linux N00b question.. can you use Ubuntu's repositories on other debian based distros?

In general, no, but it depends on the distro. You can use Ubuntu PPAs directly on Linux Mint because it uses Ubuntu repositories directly, but they cannot be used directly on Debian or Crunchbang. For example, the Wine PPA for Ubuntu 12.04 will work on Linux Mint 13 since it is directly based on Ubuntu 12.04, but will not work on Debian 7 because of the older libc version and a couple other slight different package versions. However, a distro like Crunchbang that is based on Debian can directly use repositories designed for Debian. For example, the debmultimedia repository for Debian 7 will work on Crunchbag Waldorf since it is directly based on Debian 7.

Rule of Thumb: A package repository only works with the specific version of the distribution it was designed for unless explicitly stated otherwise by either the maintainer of the repository or another distribution.

#19 fusi0n

fusi0n

Don't call it a come back

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 25 April 2013 - 16:05

In general, no, but it depends on the distro. You can use Ubuntu PPAs directly on Linux Mint because it uses Ubuntu repositories directly, but they cannot be used directly on Debian or Crunchbang. For example, the Wine PPA for Ubuntu 12.04 will work on Linux Mint 13 since it is directly based on Ubuntu 12.04, but will not work on Debian 7 because of the older libc version and a couple other slight different package versions. However, a distro like Crunchbang that is based on Debian can directly use repositories designed for Debian. For example, the debmultimedia repository for Debian 7 will work on Crunchbag Waldorf since it is directly based on Debian 7.

Rule of Thumb: A package repository only works with the specific version of the distribution it was designed for unless explicitly stated otherwise by either the maintainer of the repository or another distribution.

Thanks

#20 f0rk_b0mb

f0rk_b0mb

Neowinian Senior

Posted 25 April 2013 - 16:21

http://www.neowin.ne...#entry595657660

#21 spy beef

spy beef

Neowinian Senior

Posted 25 April 2013 - 16:23

Just tried it... why is Ubuntu slower than my Windows 8 boot?

#22 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 25 April 2013 - 16:27

boot speed has never been a linux forte.

#23 articuno1au

articuno1au

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 25 April 2013 - 16:44

Just tried it... why is Ubuntu slower than my Windows 8 boot?

The above, and Ubuntu is quite slow relative to other *nix systems.

It's got a lot more user friendly stuff, and this tends to take up CPU time and memory >.<

#24 fusi0n

fusi0n

Posted 25 April 2013 - 16:47

Nope.. lol

#25 Mindovermaster

Mindovermaster

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 13
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy SIII

Posted 25 April 2013 - 16:49

I installed it yesterday night. It seems more streamlined than 12.10 was.

#26 fusi0n

fusi0n

Posted 25 April 2013 - 16:53

You can always do some tweaks to make it faster.

#27 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nokia 3315

Posted 25 April 2013 - 17:00

IMO, the *buntu's are still very buggy and slow compared to other distros of Linux. However, when I used the 13.04 daily builds, is was a LOT better than previous versions. I too had the NVIDIA driver issues and had to reboot into text mode and delete my xorg.conf or something like that to fix it.

Ubuntu is a generic OS that will run on all kinds of PC hardware from old to new and has drivers for literally everything built in. It's not meant to be a fast OS, it's meant to be a compatible OS, if you want a fast linux, look at arch or slackware or if you want to run with minimal overhead and have a huge experience of GNU/linux and how to configure it, look at gentoo.

Really? After bios has loaded it takes about 3 seconds to get to my SLIM login screen here on arch...

#28 soldier1st

soldier1st

Software Tester/Tech/Linux Lover

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: HTC Incredible S

Posted 25 April 2013 - 17:12

It's too bad support has been cut from 18 months to 9 months.

#29 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 25 April 2013 - 17:19

Ubuntu is a generic OS that will run on all kinds of PC hardware from old to new a
Really? After bios has loaded it takes about 3 seconds to get to my SLIM login screen here on arch...

and a custom arch with no graphical eye candy or user friendly tools or anything but the bare essentials loaded is relevant how ?

#30 ichi

ichi

Akihabara Style

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 25 April 2013 - 17:43

I've been running 13.04 for a few weeks already (although with Gnome Shell instead of Unity) and so far it's being a nice release.

A bit OT but even though I don't like some (or lots) of Gnome's design decisions, 3.8 is definitely a lot more smooth and polished than previous versions.