ubuntu 13.04 raring ringtail

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#31 +Yorak

Yorak

Insubordinate

Posted 25 April 2013 - 21:19

Installed it on my laptop and had it crash twice already. *Shrug*

Oh well. I can certainly tell it is more efficient than previous releases. Thank goodness for the Unity Tweak Tool. Regardless, I will be back on Arch in no time. :p

#32 +Karl L.

Karl L.

xorangekiller

• Tech Issues Solved: 15

Posted 26 April 2013 - 00:55

The above, and Ubuntu is quite slow relative to other *nix systems.

It's got a lot more user friendly stuff, and this tends to take up CPU time and memory >.<

Besides having more services running by default than many other distros, I think that Ubuntu's use of Upstart in lieu of the venerable SysVInit or the (relatively) new Systemd somewhat limits its boot speed. Canonical had the best of intentions with Upstart - which ironically focused on increasing boot speed - but (upstream) Debian tends to boot significantly faster with SysVInit, not to mention the additional speed it gains using the Systemd packages currently in Sid.

#33 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 26 April 2013 - 01:38

Still trying to decide if I want Ubuntu or Kubuntu. I will be trying one of these.

#34 +Yorak

Yorak

Insubordinate

Posted 26 April 2013 - 12:52

Okay, so I am one of those that absolutely requires hiding the launcher as I feel it wastes real estate (especially on a laptop). However, the auto-hide function in Unity Tweak Tool does not seem to work well. For instance, if I minimize an application, then I will be able to reveal the launcher when I mouse-over it. But if I have an application like Firefox open fullscreen, it will not reveal the launcher if I hover over the left side. Is there some better option than this?

Thanks in advance.

#35 f0rk_b0mb

f0rk_b0mb

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Motorola Moto G

Posted 26 April 2013 - 13:08

Still trying to decide if I want Ubuntu or Kubuntu. I will be trying one of these.

Kubuntu is very nice! It's alot snappier and polished than Unity, IMO. Just be prepared to go thru the settings and tweak it to your needs. :)

#36 ViperAFK

ViperAFK

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 26 April 2013 - 13:30

Kubuntu is very nice! It's alot snappier and polished than Unity, IMO. Just be prepared to go thru the settings and tweak it to your needs. :)

Yeah, the latest KDE releases have been very good. I was surprised how snappy it is these days. I'm waiting on this to be fixed before I really consider switching to KDE though: https://bugs.kde.org...g.cgi?id=307965

Nothing more annoying than seeing tearing when watching fullscreen video. I thought I might be able to get around it by setting a window rule in kwin to totally suspend compositing when smplayer was open (which is an awesome feature BTW :D) and using opengl output in mplayer. it worked for some videos but still got tearing in others. Oh well, at least the next KDE release will finally have a fix :)

#37 f0rk_b0mb

f0rk_b0mb

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Motorola Moto G

Posted 26 April 2013 - 13:41

Yeah, the latest KDE releases have been very good. I was surprised how snappy it is these days. I'm waiting on this to be fixed before I really consider switching to KDE though: https://bugs.kde.org...g.cgi?id=307965

Nothing more annoying than seeing tearing when watching fullscreen video. I thought I might be able to get around it by setting a window rule in kwin to totally suspend compositing when smplayer was open (which is an awesome feature BTW :D) and using opengl output in mplayer. it worked for some videos but still got tearing in others. Oh well, at least the next KDE release will finally have a fix :)

I experienced the tearing you are talking about on OpenSUSE. I hope they fix that soon too. :)

#38 Haaa-Choo

Haaa-Choo

Take a swing, please do.

• Phone: Galaxy S2 CM

Posted 26 April 2013 - 14:09

installed this when it hit beta, dash is a lot faster and things are waay more polished. Drivers are still iffy for my 5870, and if I can find anything comparable to MSI afterburner, that would be even better! Best release in my opinion to date from the ubuntu team.

#39 +fusi0n

fusi0n

The Crazy One

• Phone: iPhone 5S 64GB

Posted 27 April 2013 - 13:57

Ubuntu 13.04 is "great success!" -Boart

The nvidia problems are fixed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#40 +Mindovermaster

Mindovermaster

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 8
  • Phone: HTC ONE V

Posted 27 April 2013 - 14:04

I'm getting better performance with my Radeon HD6870.

#41 SPEhosting

SPEhosting

C++ n00b

Posted 27 April 2013 - 14:04

I never had any issues with my 12.10? apart from a usb transfering issue ...

#42 +fusi0n

fusi0n

The Crazy One

• Phone: iPhone 5S 64GB

Posted 27 April 2013 - 16:05

I'm getting better performance with my Radeon HD6870.

That is awesome!! That seems to be where I am hearing most..

I never had any issues with my 12.10? apart from a usb transfering issue ...

Consider yourself very lucky sir ;)

#43 jimmy_jazz

jimmy_jazz

Neowinian

Posted 27 April 2013 - 16:56

No HDMI audio (nVidia) since upgrading from 12.10, not sure if its an OS or nVidia issue.

#44 +Karl L.

Karl L.

xorangekiller

• Tech Issues Solved: 15

Posted 27 April 2013 - 17:52

No HDMI audio (nVidia) since upgrading from 12.10, not sure if its an OS or nVidia issue.

If I had to suspect something, it would definitely be the NVIDIA graphics driver. Unfortunately proprietary graphics drivers tend to have nasty kludges because they can't use some of the kernel's internal interfaces like their open-source counterparts due to licensing restrictions (of GPLv2). Upgrade procedures between versions of these drivers tend to be poorly tested and often break during distribution upgrades. That is one of the reasons why I prefer to use open-source graphics drivers.

Unfortunately the AMD and NVIDIA open-source graphics drivers currently lag behind their proprietary counterparts (although the AMD open-source drivers are rapidly improving). Although I try to avoid anything other than AMD and Intel graphics cards because their open-source drivers are very good, my current laptop has an NVIDIA graphics card. Nouveau is definitely serviceable, but I would really like to use HDMI audio (and maybe get better framerates in Minecraft, TF2, and Xonotic). I feel your pain.

Did you perform an in-place upgrade from 12.10 or did you upgrade by reinstalling with 13.04? If your answer is the former, then it's possible that your Pulse Audio configuration didn't get migrated properly. You could try rebuilding it or purging and reinstalling the NVIDIA driver. If you chose the latter route, then you might need to install the proprietary NVIDIA graphics driver. Unfortunately Nouveau doesn't support HDMI audio yet (among a great many other things), so going proprietary is the only way to get that functionality.

#45 jimmy_jazz

jimmy_jazz

Neowinian

Posted 27 April 2013 - 20:11

Thanks for the advice, I did an in place upgrade from 12.10. But as my Ubuntu is on a separate drive and I only use it as a backup OS I might do a clean install, install the latest Nvidia driver and see if that sorts it out.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!