• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 vetJohn Callaham

John Callaham

Neowinian

Posted 25 April 2013 - 15:04

Nintendo won't hold traditional E3 keynote event in June
by John Callaham

Ever since E3 started in the mid 1990s, Nintendo has held a huge keynote event at the video game trade show, showing off new hardware and/or software coming from the game publisher. This year, the company has revealed it will still be at E3, but it won't be holding a big keynote at the Los Angeles-based show.

In a statement on its official financial website, Nintendo said that since the company won't be announcing a new hardware product like the Wii U or a new portable game console, they will concentrate on software reveals at E3 2013 in June. It stated, "There will be one closed event for American distributors, and we will hold another closed hands-on experience event, for mainly the Western gaming media."

While there should be plenty of news to report on Nintendo's side, the fact that they won't be holding a big keynote this year means that the stage is set for Sony and Microsoft to hold some massive E3 2013 keynote events, as they show off the PlayStation 4 and the next version of the Xbox, respectively. E3 2013 will be held this year from June 11-13 but there will likely be events held the day before E3 official begins.

Source: Nintendo | Image via Nintendo

#2 Blackhearted

Blackhearted

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S2 (VM)

Posted 25 April 2013 - 15:25

To be honest, The regularity of nintendo direct streams anymore(and the announcements they always bring) does really lessen the need for the big e3 conference.

#3 Steven P.

Steven P.

aka Neobond

• Tech Issues Solved: 64

Posted 25 April 2013 - 15:26

Following Microsoft's lead from CES? :p

#4 ctrl_alt_delete

ctrl_alt_delete

Neowinian

Posted 25 April 2013 - 15:28

I mean really what would they have to show for this e3? They already released their console which isn't selling like they'd want it to

#5 macrosslover

macrosslover

Muad’Dib

Posted 25 April 2013 - 15:35

IMO Nintendo needs to change the name of their Nintendo direct to "Nintendo Power" and make it a weekly/monthly video based show that contains news, tips, strategy guides etc. Nintendo could make it about everything Nintendo and then put it behind some sort of paywall if they really wanted to with all of the extra features. Do something like that consistently and then there would be less of a need for trade shows and the big reveal.

#6 Bonfire

Bonfire

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Rotary Dial

Posted 26 April 2013 - 17:14

Why would they, there is nothing for them to show and the Wii U has been pretty dismal failure so far. You'd think by now they would realize that to sell a console it's a good idea to have games available for it. Having a name that isn't utterly terrible and confusing helps also.

#7 Mr.XXIV

Mr.XXIV

Shine bright like Iron Man.

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 26 April 2013 - 17:23

To be honest, their traditional lifestyle in gaming is what's causing them to run out of ideas, in my opinion.

#8 Boxster17

Boxster17

Porsche Enthusiast

Posted 26 April 2013 - 20:30

To be honest, The regularity of nintendo direct streams anymore(and the announcements they always bring) does really lessen the need for the big e3 conference.

The problem with that is that E3 gets massive media exposure and Nintendo Direct does not. The average gamer doesn't check gaming sites that would carry Nintendo Direct news either so they're limiting their exposure here. I imagine the majority of those people watching Nintendo Direct conferences are those who already know about the Wii U, the problem is you ask the average gamer and they have no clue about it. Naming it Wii U was a very poor marketing decision in my opinion and they're seeing that now with most people being confused as to what it is.

#9 Blackhearted

Blackhearted

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S2 (VM)

Posted 26 April 2013 - 20:40

The problem with that is that E3 gets massive media exposure and Nintendo Direct does not. The average gamer doesn't check gaming sites that would carry Nintendo Direct news either so they're limiting their exposure here. I imagine the majority of those people watching Nintendo Direct conferences are those who already know about the Wii U, the problem is you ask the average gamer and they have no clue about it. Naming it Wii U was a very poor marketing decision in my opinion and they're seeing that now with most people being confused as to what it is.

Any competent gaming site is going to post the news that comes out of nintendo direct. As for the wii u, it's not entirely nintendo's fault some of the ignorant masses may be confused. it's also largely the fact that those same masses are too stupid to use this wonderful invention that holds a wealth of information called "the internet" to help them understand it a bit more.

#10 Boxster17

Boxster17

Porsche Enthusiast

Posted 27 April 2013 - 02:13

Any competent gaming site is going to post the news that comes out of nintendo direct.

The problem is, as I mentioned originally, the average gamer doesn't check gaming websites. The average person is exposed to the major media outlets which don't really cover Nintendo Direct conferences to the extent gaming sites do (if at all). With Sony and MS showing their next gen offerings just about anything else will likely be overshadowed by these so I can't really say I blame them, but they're still limiting their exposure.

#11 ~Johnny

~Johnny

Earthling

Posted 28 April 2013 - 19:40

Why would they, there is nothing for them to show and the Wii U has been pretty dismal failure so far. You'd think by now they would realize that to sell a console it's a good idea to have games available for it. Having a name that isn't utterly terrible and confusing helps also.

There's plenty for them to show at E3... I'd wager at least 10 first party Wii U titles, then add on whatever third party. And then there's the whole boat of 3DS titles, a console which is enjoying good success at the moment.