32 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

If I thought that Oblivion was a shallow pile of **** with a boring linear storyline, dull weapons, and a horrible "you will never feel strong" leveling system,

should I bother w/ Skyrim?

Edited by _Alexander

Posted

If I thought that Oblivion was a shallow pile of **** with a boring linear storyline, dull weapons, and a horrible "you will never feel strong" leveling system,

The main story line is pretty uninspiring, not the greatest work I've seen, but still solid. But there are a lot of hours playing the DLC's and doing all the various quest you run upon in the world.

The weapons is something you would find in a medieval fantasy world, there are mods to add new kind of weapons and armor both to loot tables and crafting.

The leveling system is pretty straight forward, just don't focus on too many skills, else you will be mediocre for some time depending on your choices. Again mods can help you, by make some of the less desirable talents stronger and make you want to take them (Heavy Armor!)

I wouldn't be able to play the TES series as much as I have if it were not for the modding community, if you have an annoyance with the game, there is most likely a mod for it.

Posted

I enjoyed playing through the game and DLC.. although without new content I won't be buying such a thing.

Bring on the next iteration of the elder scrolls story

Posted

I agree, oblivions system was pretty dire, it's been improved in skyrim but it's still no morrowind.

Posted

I felt the same way about Oblivion despite trying to get into it several times (on XBox 360 and PC). Skyrim's gameplay is far more engaging. I have Skyrim for PC and XBox 360, and it is far better on PC. The load times are just ridiculous on XBox 360, and the lack of hotkeys makes the gameplay EXCRUCIATING. If you are a fan of open world RPGs, then Skyrim is probably the best in that genera (IMO).

I just finished the final boss fight in Dawnguard with my mage. What a fantastic fight that was. I beat it on Master, now I want to go back and beat it on Legendary.

Posted

I felt the same way about Oblivion despite trying to get into it several times (on XBox 360 and PC). Skyrim's gameplay is far more engaging. I have Skyrim for PC and XBox 360, and it is far better on PC. The load times are just ridiculous on XBox 360, and the lack of hotkeys makes the gameplay EXCRUCIATING. If you are a fan of open world RPGs, then Skyrim is probably the best in that genera (IMO).

I just finished the final boss fight in Dawnguard with my mage. What a fantastic fight that was. I beat it on Master, now I want to go back and beat it on Legendary.

Except you forgot to address the "you will never feel strong" part of his post. This is absolutely THE main reason I hate Skyrim. The difficulty is so random and so not tiered in a way that gives you a sense of progression, that it's completely deflating. It's the worst thing about the game, followed closely by "most skills don't work, don't work the way they should, or are completely useless" which extremely limits your character customization.

Posted

Except you forgot to address the "you will never feel strong" part of his post. This is absolutely THE main reason I hate Skyrim. The difficulty is so random and so not tiered in a way that gives you a sense of progression, that it's completely deflating. It's the worst thing about the game, followed closely by "most skills don't work, don't work the way they should, or are completely useless" which extremely limits your character customization.

Well, you do "feel strong" after about level 16 or so. The difficulty in the game is a bit inverse because the game is really quite difficult at first and then once you have at least one skill tree filled out past 75 skill levels or so the game because super easy even on Master difficulty (I haven't tried Legendary yet).

Further, the economy in Skyrim is kind of a joke. The only money sink in the game are from the trainers and I guess you can consider the homesteads a small money sink...they didn't take Hearthfire far enough IMO...they could easily make everything in Hearthfire about 2-4 times more expensive and I think it would give more incentive to complete quest lines that hand out only 500G.

For the PC there are many mods that attempt to address these issues. Skyrim Redone completely reworks the skill trees and combat system. It is worth checking out if you want more of a challenge.

Idk... I think I have a pretty solid understanding of everything that is wrong with the game, but I still love it. But being someone who didn't get that much into Oblivion I found Skyrim to be an overall better game.

The difficulty is suppose to scale with your levels, but there are also "low level" type quests and "high level" type quests and the game doesn't really make it clear which-is-which.