Samsung SSD and Magician software

Answered Go to the full post ssd samsung software

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 Sputnick

Sputnick

Neowinian

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:05

You could make a master image (where you first install SSD Magician and make the tweaks and updates the firmware, and then uninstall the SSD Magician software) before imaging it to the other SSD's. Or you can make the tweaks yourself manually of course.
If you later on for some reason want's to update the firmware on the master image (or all your machines), Samsung has a firmware update tool that runs from a bootable CD or USB drive.

#17 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/Media Center Pack/Core i7 4790K/16GB DDR3 1600/Samsung 840 Pro 128GB x 2 - Raid 0/Transcend M.2 256GB/ASRock Z97E-ITXac/GTX 760
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 Active

Posted 26 April 2013 - 06:28

Did you read anything than the OP's question? You don't need it.

Of course I read it. he didn't ask if he needed it. He asked if it would be OK if he didn't install it or perform any of the tweaks. I decided to give a more thorough response than "you don't need it."

#18 OP farmeunit

farmeunit

The other white meat.

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 30 April 2013 - 18:20

Sorry I didn't respond earlier, but have been super busy.

Thanks for ALL the information guys. The reason I don't want install is that with our imaging software, it creates the image, then runs SYSPREP without any intervention. That image is then pushed out. I install everything afterwards. I "could" figure out a way to run the installer, I'm sure, but didn't want to bother if I didn't have to. It's good to know that I don't need it unless I want the extra functions.

We got the regular 840, but might look at the Pro version. I thought the Pro just had faster writes, mainly, but a guy I talked to said it used a few different parts that made them last longer.

#19 primexx

primexx

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 01 May 2013 - 01:07

Sorry I didn't respond earlier, but have been super busy.

Thanks for ALL the information guys. The reason I don't want install is that with our imaging software, it creates the image, then runs SYSPREP without any intervention. That image is then pushed out. I install everything afterwards. I "could" figure out a way to run the installer, I'm sure, but didn't want to bother if I didn't have to. It's good to know that I don't need it unless I want the extra functions.

We got the regular 840, but might look at the Pro version. I thought the Pro just had faster writes, mainly, but a guy I talked to said it used a few different parts that made them last longer.

the pro version uses MLC while the regular uses TLC

#20 drugo

drugo

Neowinian

Posted 12 July 2014 - 17:14

I have an 830. The Magician software really just does 3 things:

• Provides a "health" check/view
  • Allows firmware updating
  • Utility functions - like secure erase, optimizing Windows settings for the SSD (like turning off defrag, etc.)
More than likely, your average user won't need access to any of this information/functionality (nor do you want them to have access to it).

I installed my 830 without the Magician software (it's not necessary) and only ended up installing it when I needed to do a firmware update.

it optimaze ssd , pushing trim activity

but i had a problem uninstalling it

#21 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Neowinian Senior

Posted 12 July 2014 - 17:21

Old thread, but it also enables rapid mode for the Evo, which is pretty dang cool.

#22 compl3x

compl3x

Space coyote

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 20 July 2014 - 13:59

I don't think foregoing firmware upgrading is a good idea. Can you only update the firmware through Magician?

#23 OP farmeunit

farmeunit

The other white meat.

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 20 July 2014 - 14:19

I don't think foregoing firmware upgrading is a good idea. Can you only update the firmware through Magician?

I would typically agree, but we have about 80 machines with SSDs now, and will have about 200-300 more in the next week. I can't see our users upgrading the firmware anyway.

I don't know about only upgrading through the software. It's by far the easiest, though.