• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#1 ACTIONpack

ACTIONpack

Graphic Designer

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 925 (T-Mobile)

Posted 25 April 2013 - 17:57

Been designing this website for almost a year. Was about to finish it. Just need to get the content and everything would be done, just some minor changes. Now they higher a editor or something. But someone who just don't know how website designing. First she thinks a major change can be done in an hour. Told her that it does not work that. I can design something in illustrator in an hour and code it out an a few hours. Just does nt work that way. She has finally word one everything now and my input had become secondary.

what should I do? I have 8 years of website making and more people who loom at my work love it. Just feel like this is not worth doing it anymore.

A simple website has become a major pain in the ass.

#2 M_Lyons10

M_Lyons10

Neowinian Senior

Posted 25 April 2013 - 18:18

Well, I don't have a ton of web design experience, but in the past when I've dealt with this, I've made valid arguments as to why their ideas were bad. Are there reasons that their designs wouldn't be functional or would drive down usability? Would the changes greatly delay a much needed website launch? I would make these arguments if valid and go from there. You might win, or you might meet in the middle somewhere. And it depends as well what their responsibility is as it pertains to the website. Are they supposed to have some say in the redesign?

#3 OP ACTIONpack

ACTIONpack

Graphic Designer

Posted 25 April 2013 - 18:25

Well, I don't have a ton of web design experience, but in the past when I've dealt with this, I've made valid arguments as to why their ideas were bad. Are there reasons that their designs wouldn't be functional or would drive down usability? Would the changes greatly delay a much needed website launch? I would make these arguments if valid and go from there. You might win, or you might meet in the middle somewhere. And it depends as well what their responsibility is as it pertains to the website. Are they supposed to have some say in the redesign?

They have all say now.

#4 hckngrtfakt

hckngrtfakt

GFX n00b

• Phone: iPhone

Posted 25 April 2013 - 18:31

Show them this

http://theoatmeal.co...ics/design_hell

:shifty:

#5 vetMax™

Max™

Neowinian Senior

Posted 25 April 2013 - 18:31

Explain the costs out to them and how much you are going to charge them at the moment. If they want the whole thing re-doing then they will have to pay for it. Your time is not free.

#6 +InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: OnePlus One

Posted 25 April 2013 - 18:33

It sounds like you need to sit down with her and both discuss how you think the website should be, and the best way to progress.

I created our companies website and was generally left to it when I started, I would gradually get feedback as it progressed. Some of the feedback was useful, some of the suggested changes I didn't agree with at all. You need to compromise and discuss why you don't agree with something, or why you think doing something a different way is better than what is been suggested to you and justify doing it your way.

I personally feel our companies website has benefited from different perspectives.

#7 +MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

Miniman

• Phone: HTC 8X / Nexus 5

Posted 25 April 2013 - 18:34

You need to remind them that they've hired you as the professional. The problem you're having is you're not exerting your professional stand point over them.

Be polite but be firm. This will happen a lot.
you should also be using scheduled payments for each stage of the design. They have to sign off on each stage so any changes of design are billable (which they would be any way). Work per hour as well, not per job.

#8 xendrome

xendrome

In God We Trust; All Others We Monitor

• Tech Issues Solved: 10

Posted 25 April 2013 - 18:45

They have all say now.

If you've been paid up to this point, then you are good, and just continue to charge for work done.... At this point if so, I would assume you have an option, continue to work with them or fire the customer.

If you haven't been paid and they think they can just change the design around at no cost.. then you've got some issues.

#9 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 25 April 2013 - 18:54

Make them clearly approve the design. In the contract clearly specify that any change to the design will cost money.

My first professional web site design something like 10 years ago (Fire fox 1.6 just had been released) went excatly like this.

Did a design in Photoshop. Client (boss of the company) loved it A LOT. He was very positive about it. Coded the web site. Then when we were 2 weeks from publishing it the stupid marketing woman of the cie started to ask for "simple" changes. It took close to 1 month to get to where this stupid marketing woman wanted the web site to be (totally different than my design). I hated her and it was one of the worst working exp ever.

It's easier now that i have more exp (close to 10 years) people listen to me more and my designs are also better.

#10 spacer

spacer

I'm awesome

• Phone: Nexus 4

Posted 25 April 2013 - 18:55

Explain the costs out to them and how much you are going to charge them at the moment. If they want the whole thing re-doing then they will have to pay for it. Your time is not free.

You need to remind them that they've hired you as the professional. The problem you're having is you're not exerting your professional stand point over them.

Be polite but be firm. This will happen a lot.
you should also be using scheduled payments for each stage of the design. They have to sign off on each stage so any changes of design are billable (which they would be any way). Work per hour as well, not per job.

These posts hit the nail on the head. Do NOT let a new party dictate scope-creep without making a stand. Put these new requirements in terms of hours and money that will be added to the budget. It's hard to argue with that. If you have competent management, that will be the end of it.

#11 OP ACTIONpack

ACTIONpack

Graphic Designer

Posted 25 April 2013 - 18:56

If you've been paid up to this point, then you are good, and just continue to charge for work done.... At this point if so, I would assume you have an option, continue to work with them or fire the customer.

If you haven't been paid and they think they can just change the design around at no cost.. then you've got some issues.

I get an hourly wage. It's not the problem. I take my design really serious. Everything was layout almost 6 months ago. Everyone love it, change I know would going to happen which was never a problem but now everything is changing. Just because she does not like it and she have final say. I'm now going to just apply to a new job because I personal can't do it anymore. I can't do this **** again and again. This site needed to be finish 6 months ago.

I took a stand 5 times and it does not matter.

#12 +MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

Miniman

• Phone: HTC 8X / Nexus 5

Posted 25 April 2013 - 18:57

These posts hit the nail on the head. Do NOT let a new party dictate scope-creep without making a stand. Put these new requirements in terms of hours and money that will be added to the budget. It's hard to argue with that. If you have competent management, that will be the end of it.

Absolutely. also make sure you're working with a water tight contract.

#13 M_Lyons10

M_Lyons10

Neowinian Senior

Posted 25 April 2013 - 19:34

It sounds like you need to sit down with her and both discuss how you think the website should be, and the best way to progress.

I created our companies website and was generally left to it when I started, I would gradually get feedback as it progressed. Some of the feedback was useful, some of the suggested changes I didn't agree with at all. You need to compromise and discuss why you don't agree with something, or why you think doing something a different way is better than what is been suggested to you and justify doing it your way.

I personally feel our companies website has benefited from different perspectives.

I agree. Sometimes people have really ridiculous ideas that you have to get rid of. LOL But our website is the product of a lot of input from a lot of people. Some I've taken and used and some I haven't.

#14 M_Lyons10

M_Lyons10

Neowinian Senior

Posted 25 April 2013 - 19:49

Make them clearly approve the design. In the contract clearly specify that any change to the design will cost money.

My first professional web site design something like 10 years ago (Fire fox 1.6 just had been released) went excatly like this.

Did a design in Photoshop. Client (boss of the company) loved it A LOT. He was very positive about it. Coded the web site. Then when we were 2 weeks from publishing it the stupid marketing woman of the cie started to ask for "simple" changes. It took close to 1 month to get to where this stupid marketing woman wanted the web site to be (totally different than my design). I hated her and it was one of the worst working exp ever.

It's easier now that i have more exp (close to 10 years) people listen to me more and my designs are also better.

LOL That link was hilarious.

When I was redesigning our website (The previous {horendous} site was done by someone else a few years prior who was still clutching his FoxPro), I had it almost completely finished. I just needed copy for some of the pages. In a meeting, someone in production (Not Marketing, or with any say whatsoever) turns to me and says "I have a good idea for the website. Doors. The page should be full of doors and each door will take you to a different page."... :| What do you even say? Not only that, but he was able to get everyone else on board with this moronic idea... Doors. What am I supposed to do with that??

Luckily, I was able to explain to everyone just how bad that would be and get everyone on board with my design again (Not that I wasn't already ignoring him anyway. lol).

#15 fusi0n

fusi0n

Don't call it a come back

• Phone: LG G3

Posted 25 April 2013 - 19:52

LOL That link was hilarious.

When I was redesigning our website (The previous {horendous} site was done by someone else a few years prior who was still clutching his FoxPro), I had it almost completely finished. I just needed copy for some of the pages. In a meeting, someone in production (Not Marketing, or with any say whatsoever) turns to me and says "I have a good idea for the website. Doors. The page should be full of doors and each door will take you to a different page."... :| What do you even say? Not only that, but he was able to get everyone else on board with this moronic idea... Doors. What am I supposed to do with that??

Luckily, I was able to explain to everyone just how bad that would be and get everyone on board with my design again (Not that I wasn't already ignoring him anyway. lol).

LOL that was funny