what to do with a employee who wants to change everything in the website?

Question

Been designing this website for almost a year. Was about to finish it. Just need to get the content and everything would be done, just some minor changes. Now they higher a editor or something. But someone who just don't know how website designing. First she thinks a major change can be done in an hour. Told her that it does not work that. I can design something in illustrator in an hour and code it out an a few hours. Just does nt work that way. She has finally word one everything now and my input had become secondary.

what should I do? I have 8 years of website making and more people who loom at my work love it. Just feel like this is not worth doing it anymore.

A simple website has become a major pain in the ass.

Good design, wow - did you also develop it?

I've been a developer and designer for more than 10 years now (primarily development), I've actually been really lucky with all my clients but I have been in your situation in a way. The best thing for you to do is go over her head and question her ability to handle this task with her employer. She may well be hurting the company and they have no idea and would value your opinion as the authority in this matter; you're the professional and any proper business will see this. In my company if someone gets in the way of a professional doing their job that someone is warned to get out of the way or there will be consequence.

Don't confuse her confidence with her position on the matter. In the end this will reflect your portfolio, so if this person leaves a negative result within your portfolio this may end up costing you opportunities with future clients. It may not be such a bad idea to evaluate your current relationship with this client and possibly even fire them.

You've summed up exactly why it would be a bad choice to hire you in 5 words. Good job.

Basically you've advocated breaking defined web standards and said you'd be happy to produce and release shoddy products that would actually harm your employer/customer because you are only interested in the pay cheque.

You are a joke if you genuinely believe your tripe. I always advise ans steer towards best practises, but if a client wants something and has a reason for it - of course I will create it. You're an absolute idiot if you turn down a paycheck over such simplistic ideals.

You are a joke if you genuinely believe your tripe. I always advise ans steer towards best practises, but if a client wants something and has a reason for it - of course I will create it. You're an absolute idiot if you turn down a paycheck over such simplistic ideals.

On the subject of jokes...You posted this:

So if the client ask you for scrolling text, blinking text and an animated gif of a mouse you will make it ?

If they pay, then yes!

(interesting steering towards best practices there pal)

The client is not always right. Far from it.

He who pays the piper calls the tune

The "reason" why you're in the game clearly.

Capture.png

She wants to get rid of the black bar. She thinks it's too much. That black bar with text will is the bases of the whole design. It's also something will stay the same on all the pages. The tan color background will be going too. She wants to add the slogan to the logo on everything. Even on the top header when I don't see the important even more so when the odd shape of the logo itself is almost important to design for a website. That one part of the website is what make it stand out without it, just not really good anymore.

Personally, I'm not the point where I'm going to design what she wants and keep it to that. I'm getting pay so be it.

Personally, I'm not the point where I'm going to design what she wants and keep it to that. I'm getting pay so be it.

Bear in mind if you are the "Designer" and the design ends up being viewed negatively, or not pulling in the customers as expected, guess who the blame will go to.

She wants to get rid of the black bar. She thinks it's too much. That black bar with text will is the bases of the whole design. It's also something will stay the same on all the pages. The tan color background will be going too. She wants to add the slogan to the logo on everything. Even on the top header when I don't see the important even more so when the odd shape of the logo itself is almost important to design for a website. That one part of the website is what make it stand out without it, just not really good anymore.

I think she's right that there is an issue, but her solution is a bit drastic. While the design is a good, it currently doesn't flow well with their logo which is the main issue, is it not?

Here's my novice armchair quarterbacking/0.02: Instead of removing it entirely, why don't you just slim it's x/y or push it to the right and center on the buttons? Or edit or stylize the logo so it can be better implemented in your design, as its pretty shaky anyway. The image could easily move to allow the text to align on the stars.

I think she's right that there is an issue, but her solution is a bit drastic. While the design is a good, it currently doesn't flow well with their logo which is the main issue, is it not?

Here's my novice armchair quarterbacking/0.02: Instead of removing it entirely, why don't you just slim it's x/y or push it to the right and center on the buttons? Or edit or stylize the logo so it can be better implemented in your design, as its pretty shaky anyway. The image could easily move to allow the text to align on the stars.

The slogan and the stars were never to be on top header. It does not work at all with the design. I could get it working with the stars on it but with everything, it's just does not work. Told the owner that having the stars was not important is its an afterthought that you would have to tell people what it means. I think it works better without the stars and slogan. The wolf and roma works just fine and adding more **** to the logo does not help. People simple is never anyones thought process. More is never better.

The design of the top header before anything were going to change.

topbarroma.png

I apologize I got sidetracked before. You said they had originally agreed to the logo change, then she was placed in charge of the project, and the old logo 'had' to be reinserted, ie they changed the parameters of the project late in the development cycle?

I apologize I got sidetracked before. You said they had originally agreed to the logo change, then she was placed in charge of the project, and the old logo 'had' to be reinserted, ie they changed the parameters of the project late in the development cycle?

Yea, I example to the owner that the stars would never work in the design. Also it does not show up well, We can use it in the footer but the header, would need to be remove. One of the reason why when you see it with out the stars and slogan it works great now, no more.

If your job is starting to become a pain in the a**, Quit.

There are ton of places where you can find work online as a web designer and the pay is pretty high.

You can work from home and manage your time as the way you want.

This is what i'm doing right now. I'm not a web designer. but I work online.

Pay is way better than working at an office.

I'm going to agree with you, if a client asked me to do something stupid i would advise but thats as far as i go... if they decide they still want it then i'm not going to argue with them, its up to them if they choose to listen to a professions advice, but if not, i'll do what they want since they are paying me, or i would at least make a decision on whether i still want to work with this person.

On the other end of this, the issue is much bigger because it's not a case of 'the customer is always right' or 'as long as the client is happy', they are not the people that are going to be using this website... if it's aesthetically unpleasing, hard to use/navigation or down right ugly then they are going to have some problems selling their products or achieving whatever they want to do so you need to be firm and explain but at the end of it all you cant force them to have something they don't want.

As for the website i have some issues with it

- the placement of the logo is ugly, it's touching the borders of the to nav bar therefore not sitting correctly (why not put technologies on the same line as the rest and valign the logo a bit more?)

- bad combination of serif and sans-serif fonts

- the mid slider section makes for some painful reading as the font, it's size and line spacing combine to make it a mess

- "Products are free of APEO, PEG, PG, Asthmatic Triggers & Solvent.*" I can see the effect you were going for but it's doesn't look right, it looks out of place and mis-aligned, giving it it's own space would be an improvement

- the black bar on other pages is horrible, it's covering the logo which is a big no go, either cover it all or don't, or just don't.

great work over all.

Yea, I example to the owner that the stars would never work in the design. Also it does not show up well, We can use it in the footer but the header, would need to be remove. One of the reason why when you see it with out the stars and slogan it works great now, no more.

For clarity, what is your contract like? You mentioned you are hourly so I assume there was no formal project contract? As you say, you were on the home stretch of the project and it is they who decided to start a new one by changing the parameters, so I would personally approach it that way, which is a bit different an issue than simply 'an employee that wants to change everything'.

For clarity, what is your contract like? You mentioned you are hourly so I assume there was no formal project contract? As you say, you were on the home stretch of the project and it is they who decided to start a new one by changing the parameters, so I would personally approach it that way, which is a bit different an issue than simply 'an employee that wants to change everything'.

I work in the office and get pay by the hour. So thats not an issue. I'm getting pay for, it's the principle of the matter. I don't want to work on it forever just to get the design finish. There is no point on my part and theirs. I will also get burn out and would no longer want to design websites anymore. :-/

I work in the office and get pay by the hour. So thats not an issue. I'm getting pay for, it's the principle of the matter. I don't want to work on it forever just to get the design finish. There is no point on my part and theirs. I will also get burn out and would no longer want to design websites anymore. :-/

get the website to the finished state as agreed and asked to be paid what you are owed, then explain the amount of changes is so much work that you are basing it as a new project and don't have the time for it at the moment. job done. of course, without a contract explaining that changes outside of the final brief are not included in the price it may be difficult, if you have simply said 'i will give you a website for X amount' then they'll want a completed website for that amount.