Gnome 3.8 Classic Mode

I've just seen that gnome 3.8 has a 'classic mode', to replace the fallback mode that looks like a (pretty good) mix of Gnome 3 and fallback mode!

Anyway, does anyone use it or know how it runs?

I'm tempted to switch to it, I've got cinnamon on most my arch machines but it's just so crap, I mean, the interface is great and all but anything that uses 100% CPU/GPU on integrated graphics and still lags if you drag ONE window on an nvidia 9600 is just incredibly poor quality in my mind and I cannot stand it any more.

Why don't you try it yourself? I never ran Gnome 3.8 in Classic mode, but I have run previous versions of it. Quite good, IMO.

I wasn't a huge fan of it (but then again I'm not a fan of cinnamon's UI either), but when I tried it on arch it definitely ran faster than cinnamon. cinnamon is slow because its based on old versions of gnome-shell/mutter.

Why don't you try it yourself? I never ran Gnome 3.8 in Classic mode, but I have run previous versions of it. Quite good, IMO.

Because right now I'm busy on other OS's and have work to do so can't switch out to arch. Previous versions of it? AFAIK you're talking about fallback mode which was broken in 3.6 and has been removed entirely from gnome 3.8 onwards

Impressive, gnome once again delivers a half-assed load of junk!

Got it all installed the difference between gnome-shell and gnome classic? Colours look a bit worse in gnome-shell, it runs a bit more laggy and it doesn't pick up any of my installed programs whereas gnome classic does. Other than that it looks absolutely nothing like anyone elses' looks like.

Best of all, you still can't get rid of that ****ing useless hot corner, removed it entirely from layout.js and the bloody thing still shows.

Another great feature of gnome - crappy crash detection that doesn't work! Connect to a remote server using ssh and watch as gnome pesters you with incredibly annoying (and wrong) errors saying your programs are not responding!

Making flash go full screen puts it in the background, so you have to click on the flash full screen program in the bottom panel bar too.

Sorry, I actually fail to see anything of worthwhile with gnome 3.8, it's hard to see how gnome could have got worse after gnome 3.6 but somehow, the gnome team actually managed it, I'm sure there's an award for that somewhere. I'm actually waiting for them to say gnome 3.8 is a late april fools joke

Edited by n_K

Is this on your customized Arch install ?

It's on a brand new install of arch with nothing customised.

"?<window title> on H3K-Shift2 (on H3K-Shift2)? is not responding.

You may choose to wait a short while for it to continue or force the application to quit entirely."

Click wait and oh strange, it works fine, yet to be ****ed off again pretty much instantly with the same message.

alt-f2, then enter,

gnome-shell -r --mode=classic

alternative you can select session during login

That does indeed seem to be better in that it loads... Problems are none of the menu options (shut down, logout, etc.) do anything, there's no applications menu either, so is entirely useless.

I've been starting gnome-session using xinitrc as I use SLIM not GDM.

I have tried hard to like gnome 3. I can't. I guess I got to used to the way gnome 2 did things. I have since switched to xfce, which still has some wierd quirks, but it works like I want it to.

That does indeed seem to be better in that it loads... Problems are none of the menu options (shut down, logout, etc.) do anything, there's no applications menu either, so is entirely useless.

I've been starting gnome-session using xinitrc as I use SLIM not GDM.

Be sure to have gnome-shell-extensions package from extra.

Be sure to have gnome-shell-extensions package from extra.

Yes that is installed. I think it might be to do with gnome-panel or something, vaguely remember there being a dependancy with cinnaamon that wasn't included and made it unusable.

From first look though this classic mode of gnome 3.8 just looks to be gnome shell with an applications menu... I thought it would offer so much more.

I have tried hard to like gnome 3. I can't. I guess I got to used to the way gnome 2 did things. I have since switched to xfce, which still has some wierd quirks, but it works like I want it to.

Ever try MATE?

Impressive, gnome once again delivers a half-assed load of junk!

Got it all installed the difference between gnome-shell and gnome classic? Colours look a bit worse in gnome-shell, it runs a bit more laggy and it doesn't pick up any of my installed programs whereas gnome classic does. Other than that it looks absolutely nothing like anyone elses' looks like.

Best of all, you still can't get rid of that ****ing useless hot corner, removed it entirely from layout.js and the bloody thing still shows.

Another great feature of gnome - crappy crash detection that doesn't work! Connect to a remote server using ssh and watch as gnome pesters you with incredibly annoying (and wrong) errors saying your programs are not responding!

Making flash go full screen puts it in the background, so you have to click on the flash full screen program in the bottom panel bar too.

Sorry, I actually fail to see anything of worthwhile with gnome 3.8, it's hard to see how gnome could have got worse after gnome 3.6 but somehow, the gnome team actually managed it, I'm sure there's an award for that somewhere. I'm actually waiting for them to say gnome 3.8 is a late april fools joke

When I tried gnome 3.8 my experience definitely wasn't that bad (although I didn't really use the classic mode, I happen to actually like the default gnome-shell interface) but I did also run into some very annoying issues. These days I don't recommend anyone try gnome right when a new version comes out, unless you are interested in being a glorified beta tester. Since gnome 3 every gnome .0 release has had very obvious and severe bugs until after a few point releases, I get the feeling gnome really doesn't have enough beta testers or people reporting bugs. I did like that gnome 3.8 seemed much faster and smoother on my machine than 3.6, and gnome-shells memory usage also seemed massively lower. I went back to 3.6 after running into possible one of the most annoying bugs of all times though, I don't understand how they let something like this get into a final release: https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=696882 .With GTK 3.8 windows constantly forget their size, and some apps such as empathy will even randomly resize while you are using it. This kind of thing should never make it out of alpha or beta, its crazy that they've released gnome 3.8 with it :/ If it wasn't for that issue I probably would have really enjoyed gnome 3.8, but I'm just sick of seeing gnome releases with these kinds of huge bugs.

I actually like gnome 3's UI, but I do feel there's definitely not enough attention paid to QA and bugfixing. It seems gnome releases aare 100% focused on UI changes and releases get pushed with major bugs. I've been wanting to switch to KDE, in my testing the last few KDE releases have been much more stable and polished than gnome is these days, but I'm stuck waiting for KDE 4.11 for this to get fixed: https://bugs.kde.org...g.cgi?id=307965

Regarding the classic mode, yeah I feel like they really shouldn't have bothered if they were just going to half ass it.

Regarding the classic mode, yeah I feel like they really shouldn't have bothered if they were just going to half ass it.

To be honest, I've completely given up on Gnome these days. KDE is where it's at.

Last time I used KDE was in the red hat 9 days and compared to gnome 2 it was pretty sluggish and uncustomisable, has it improved in these areas?

Last time I used KDE was in the red hat 9 days and compared to gnome 2 it was pretty sluggish and uncustomisable, has it improved in these areas?

KDE has changed alot since the RH9 days! Its a much more respected well refined desktop environment now. Although I still choose Xfce as mine many of others made the switch to KDE after the Gnome3 release and have been surprised by it.

Humm got KDE running here on arch, it's still a bit 'odd', there are some kinda gripes, how do I go about changing the font size of the clock? How to I resize the notification icons so they don't have a height of 100%? How do I get rid of the copy&paste notification thing?

Other than that it seems pretty fast, none of the 'program has froze' ******** I got with gnome and the notification icons appear! (Though they have black backgrounds which stick out... Any ideas on that one too? :p)

Humm got KDE running here on arch, it's still a bit 'odd', there are some kinda gripes, how do I go about changing the font size of the clock? How to I resize the notification icons so they don't have a height of 100%? How do I get rid of the copy&paste notification thing?

Other than that it seems pretty fast, none of the 'program has froze' ******** I got with gnome and the notification icons appear! (Though they have black backgrounds which stick out... Any ideas on that one too? :p)

That may be for another topic ;)

back on topic with Gnome3, Classic mode looks like something that will perhaps bring back some of the users that left when they initially made the change to the new model with Gnome3. But the damage has been done for me now, I have grown to love Xfce and I can't see me changing back in the future.

gnome36-classic-mode-b2dc5fedab7df13e.png

Yeah gnome3 left me in the dark. Cinnamon wasn't too bad but it lags like hell and uses 100% CPU/GPU for no reason so it's unsuitable. XFCE is nice but needs a lot of hacks for customisation. I've never liked LXDE. Fluxbox is what I mainly use, nice fast and lightweight but it has some pretty annoying bugs and lacks things like support for media keys unless you get additional software. CDE was kinda funky and retro but doesn't work at all on 64-bit builds. MATE is good and I'm glad it exists but wow, things really have moved on from the GNOME2 days!

In kde you can show hide any icon you please in the system tray, If you right click and go to the tray settings and then go to entries there's a list of all entries and you can set them to show/hide.

You can do the same with the clock afiak, right click and go to the digital clock settings and there's a bunch of settings including the font and font size.

I never had a problem with systray icons with black backgrounds, not sure whats up with that.

In kde you can show hide any icon you please in the system tray, If you right click and go to the tray settings and then go to entries there's a list of all entries and you can set them to show/hide.

You can do the same with the clock afiak, right click and go to the digital clock settings and there's a bunch of settings including the font and font size.

I never had a problem with systray icons with black backgrounds, not sure whats up with that.

OK nice got the klipper hidden, unfortunately though you can't seem to change the font size of the clock, only the font itself. Attached a pic of the black backgrounds.

post-160466-0-55234300-1367170573.png