27 posts in this topic

Posted

[size=6]EA reveals layoffs; EA Partners division shutting down[/size]
by John Callaham

Electronic Arts has made the decision to lay off some of its employees, and rumors are that hundreds of EA team members have been affected. Meanwhile, the company is reportedly closing the division that was in charge of publishing third party games.

EA's official statement says simply that it has made "some difficult decisions to reduce the workforce in some locations." Polygon reports, via unnamed sources, that the layoffs are affecting nearly all parts of the large game publishing company, which until today had about 9,000 employees. At least two internal game development studios, PopCap Vancouver and Quicklime Studio, have shut down completely.

Game Informer is also reporting that EA will close EA Partners, which was in charge of publishing games made by developers outside of the company that were not EA properties. Those games included Valve's The Orange Box, the games in Crytek's Crysis series, Double Fine's Brutal Legend and others. EA will still publish two games that were under the EA Partners label; Insomniac Games' third person shooter Fuse and the still unannounced game from Respawn Entertainment, made up of former members of the Call of Duty: Modern Warfare team at Infinity Ward.

Source: EA | Image via EA

Posted

EA to shut down studios.

In other news, the sky is blue.

smh

Posted

So the future for EA is FPS.

Posted

Hate to be blunt, but it had to happen. EA was bleeding money and it had to cut costs; unfortunately it came at the expense of people's jobs. I'm kind of curious if the EA Partners label wasn't successful for them, however, as they published some pretty well-known third-party games.

Posted

Too bad EA's management didn't fire themselves. This sh*t floats unfortunately.
3 people like this

Posted

[quote name='soniqstylz' timestamp='1366925509' post='595658324']
EA to shut down studios.

In other news, the sky is blue.

smh
[/quote]
There are 2000 lay offs, this is pretty huge.

Posted

I hate to see anyone loose their jobs.. Hopefully it will make EA better in the long run

Posted

As long a Deadspace 4 is coming out thats what I care most about when it comes to EA

Posted

I hear they're hiring in their DRM department.
5 people like this

Posted

Hopefully this means crysis 3 will come to steam and have no EA junkware :)
2 people like this

Posted

EA have nobody else to blame but themselves. And I don't feel sorry for EA (as a company) for it...

Posted

And this is what happens when you go for quarterly profits instead of long term gains
1 person likes this

Posted

[quote name='Luc2k' timestamp='1366927047' post='595658382']
[/quote]

this.

Posted

[quote name='Luc2k' timestamp='1366927047' post='595658382']
[/quote]

This. Their management, or lack of, is the main problem here.

Posted

[quote name='Anthony Tosie' timestamp='1366926446' post='595658362']
Hate to be blunt, but it had to happen. EA was bleeding money and it had to cut costs; unfortunately it came at the expense of people's jobs. I'm kind of curious if the EA Partners label wasn't successful for them, however, as they published some pretty well-known third-party games.
[/quote]
Over the last ten years? Yeah. Recent finances are pretty good though from what I saw.

They probably just need to hire more people for next gen console development, so cut some dead weight.

Posted

[quote name='Deranged' timestamp='1367012282' post='595660042']
Over the last ten years? Yeah. Recent finances are pretty good though from what I saw.

They probably just need to hire more people for next gen console development, so cut some dead weight.
[/quote]
EA hasn't been a healthy company financially for quite some time. It regularly posts losses in its quarterly reports.

I doubt they'd be cutting staff just to hire more. They're cutting staff to save costs (reduce the amount of money they have to pay people).

Posted

Awesome.

The fact that EA is slimming down, that is.

The fact that studios have been shutdown and a lot of people have lost their jobs is absolutely terrible. Hopefully they can find better jobs elsewhere.

But yeah, EA needs to die; finally it's starting.

Posted

[quote name='Anthony Tosie' timestamp='1367018601' post='595660132']
EA hasn't been a healthy company financially for quite some time. It regularly posts losses in its quarterly reports.
[/quote]
[url="https://www.google.com/finance?q=NASDAQ%3AEA&fstype=ii&ei=Yht7UbDJDIjWqAH2JQ"]https://www.google.com/finance?q=NASDAQ%3AEA&fstype=ii&ei=Yht7UbDJDIjWqAH2JQ[/url]

Look at the annual data, they gained last year and hadn't in previous years.

Posted

May I think this news is depression of EA?

Posted

This is terrible news. People involuntarily losing a source of income is always bad, and this isn't good for consumers, either.

Posted

[quote name='Deranged' timestamp='1367022669' post='595660188']
[url="https://www.google.com/finance?q=NASDAQ%3AEA&fstype=ii&ei=Yht7UbDJDIjWqAH2JQ"]https://www.google.c...7UbDJDIjWqAH2JQ[/url]

Look at the annual data, they gained last year and hadn't in previous years.
[/quote]
I never said they didn't. They made a marginal profit last year -- certainly not the amount you'd expect from a company its size. I'm telling you, this is a cost-cutting move, nothing more. Their operations weren't sustainable.

Posted

[quote name='Anthony Tosie' timestamp='1367028940' post='595660264']
I never said they didn't. They made a marginal profit last year -- certainly not the amount you'd expect from a company its size. I'm telling you, this is a cost-cutting move, nothing more. Their operations weren't sustainable.
[/quote]
I'd guess the Bioware buyout was still being felt for many years, considering it was 860 million.

I'm not disagreeing with you that some of its ops weren't sustainable, but I think long term they're probably in a good spot if they stop buying companies.
1 person likes this

Posted

Time will come when EA will be a 100% DRM company.

Posted

[quote name='sanke1' timestamp='1367076466' post='595660908']
[/quote]
And even then, people will still buy the annual FIFA installments.

Posted

[quote name='sanke1' timestamp='1367077288' post='595660916']
[/quote]

Or 100% DLC and microtransactions.