electronic arts ea gaming

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#16 Anthony Tosie

Anthony Tosie

Neowinian

• 1,388 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 23:23

Over the last ten years? Yeah. Recent finances are pretty good though from what I saw.

They probably just need to hire more people for next gen console development, so cut some dead weight.

EA hasn't been a healthy company financially for quite some time. It regularly posts losses in its quarterly reports.

I doubt they'd be cutting staff just to hire more. They're cutting staff to save costs (reduce the amount of money they have to pay people).

#17 DAOWAce

DAOWAce

Blind

• 384 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 00:04

Awesome.

The fact that EA is slimming down, that is.

The fact that studios have been shutdown and a lot of people have lost their jobs is absolutely terrible. Hopefully they can find better jobs elsewhere.

But yeah, EA needs to die; finally it's starting.

#18 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

• 5,279 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 00:31

EA hasn't been a healthy company financially for quite some time. It regularly posts losses in its quarterly reports.

https://www.google.c...7UbDJDIjWqAH2JQ

Look at the annual data, they gained last year and hadn't in previous years.

#19 Peter PAD

Peter PAD

Neowinian

• 9 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 00:45

May I think this news is depression of EA?

#20 neoadorable

neoadorable

Neowinian Senior

• 10,466 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 01:41

This is terrible news. People involuntarily losing a source of income is always bad, and this isn't good for consumers, either.

#21 Anthony Tosie

Anthony Tosie

Neowinian

• 1,388 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 02:15

https://www.google.c...7UbDJDIjWqAH2JQ

Look at the annual data, they gained last year and hadn't in previous years.

I never said they didn't. They made a marginal profit last year -- certainly not the amount you'd expect from a company its size. I'm telling you, this is a cost-cutting move, nothing more. Their operations weren't sustainable.

#22 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

• 5,279 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 02:43

I never said they didn't. They made a marginal profit last year -- certainly not the amount you'd expect from a company its size. I'm telling you, this is a cost-cutting move, nothing more. Their operations weren't sustainable.

I'd guess the Bioware buyout was still being felt for many years, considering it was 860 million.

I'm not disagreeing with you that some of its ops weren't sustainable, but I think long term they're probably in a good spot if they stop buying companies.

#23 +d5aqoëp

d5aqoëp

Banned

• 3,084 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 15:27

Time will come when EA will be a 100% DRM company.

#24 MightyJordan

MightyJordan

Neowinian Senior

• 16,438 posts
  • Phone: Google Nexus 5 32GB

Posted 27 April 2013 - 15:56

And even then, people will still buy the annual FIFA installments.

#25 soniqstylz

soniqstylz

Neowin Trophy Slore

• 8,682 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 21:39

Or 100% DLC and microtransactions.

#26 Nick (gdiza)

Nick (gdiza)

Neowinian

• 63 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 15:26

I think to solve this problem and to make more money, they need to charge less for their games.
I refuse to buy their games (I don't pirate them either) as I'd rather wait till they come out 'cheaper' (by at least half the price) because I think they are pathetic with their pricing!

Console games are the worst!!! I have no idea how people manage or are willing to pay those prices!

#27 DAOWAce

DAOWAce

Blind

• 384 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 23:11

znip

I've been saying this ever since Activision forced the PC market to $60 for AAA titles.

For $60 I can buy 4-6 quality indie games that give me dozens of hours more enjoyment, sometimes even higher quality enjoyment.

I do not buy anything for over $50 anymore; hell I can barely even afford $40 titles as it is.

The last full price game I bought was Guild Wars 2.. which was a pre-purchase months before release. Turns out there were $15 discounts within a month of release. Provided multiple cases of this to ArenaNet and the only thing they were willing to do was terminate my account and refund me in full instead of just credit me $15 or give me a free upgrade to the deluxe edition.

I ended up quitting the game a week in because I was absolutely sick of the launch issues.

That has been eating at me ever since. I don't have this kind of money to waste.

Other than that.. Starcraft 2 for $40, Dark Souls for $32.50 and SC2:HotS for $30 (+tax because lol newegg).

Yeah, those are the only games I've paid more than $15 for in the last few years. I picked up Diablo 3 for $10. *wink*