• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Mr.XXIV

Mr.XXIV

Shine bright like Iron Man.

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 25 April 2013 - 22:07

Is there a server more powerful than Media Temple's Nitro Server? I might make use of Railgun as well.

The server can handle at a max of 65,000 connections at once. But I plan on sending at least 100,000 - 1,000,000 visitors in a day.

#2 fusi0n

fusi0n

Don't call it a come back

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 25 April 2013 - 22:24

What exactly are you going to be hosting? Do you already have a site up with 20,000 hits a day? Just asking to make sure you don't go overboard..

To be honest with you, it might be cheaper to buy some Dell Poweredge 2950s off ebay and put them in a data center.. That would cost you far less..

#3 OP Mr.XXIV

Mr.XXIV

Posted 25 April 2013 - 22:27

I'll soon have a Social Network (http://mylovr.com). Currently yes, and many other site's previously. I actually have several sites that will receive a lot of traffic. Enough to generate up to $20k a month on AdSense each month.

#4 fusi0n

fusi0n

Don't call it a come back

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 25 April 2013 - 22:36

Cool, I just wanted to make sure.. Didn't know if this was a start up.. Most people doing a start up will think their site will be instantly a hit and invest a **** ton of money into it.. Sense that is not the case..

Have you considered doing the hosting yourself from a datacenter? If you had the know-how.. it could save you a ton of money and better performance.. Maybe one of the Neowin admins will chime in.. I believe they have their own servers and renting space in a datacenter..

I do all my own hosting, but my sites don't generate a crap ton.. I might do 5TB a month

Have you done any research on that company? It seems to not be all that hot..

#5 OP Mr.XXIV

Mr.XXIV

Posted 25 April 2013 - 22:56

I've hosted straight from my Mac Mini on my own 101Mbps internet. It does way better than Host Gator and GoDaddy using Linux Ubuntu on a Virtual Box.

I've had Media Temple on a dedicated virtual, and they're amazing. Media Temple was made for developers in my opinion.

I'll look about the Data Center by the time the space runs out, because I'm more in favor of load balancing when the server has enough to chew on. :)

#6 xendrome

xendrome

In God We Trust; All Others We Monitor

• Tech Issues Solved: 12

Posted 25 April 2013 - 23:18

I'll soon have a Social Network (http://mylovr.com). Currently yes, and many other site's previously. I actually have several sites that will receive a lot of traffic. Enough to generate up to $20k a month on AdSense each month.

If you are generating 20k a month already, you should be looking at co-location hosting and not running sites off your Mac Mini... :rolleyes:

Plus I wouldn't be using someone's likeness/picture on a site that's going to generate 1 million unique hits a month, once you get sued that $20k a month isn't going to be enough for the legal fees.

#7 OP Mr.XXIV

Mr.XXIV

Posted 25 April 2013 - 23:23

If you are generating 20k a month already, you should be looking at so co-location hosting and not running sites off your Mac Mini... :rolleyes:

Plus I wouldn't be using someone's likeness/picture on a site that's going to generate 1 million unique hits a month, once you get sued that $20k a month isn't going to be enough for the legal fees.

At the moment, I'm actually in search of a place to live, I'm only 19 going 20 in a week, so being eligible for financing and whatnot isn't as easy for me :/

Don't worry, I'll be having actual people work with me to produce original content instead of working what's off of Google. :p

#8 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 25 April 2013 - 23:26

Wait, you're looking at that much traffic, and yet hosting off your mac mini...?

#9 OP Mr.XXIV

Mr.XXIV

Posted 25 April 2013 - 23:33

Wait, you're looking at that much traffic, and yet hosting off your mac mini...?

At the moment, I'm not, I'm temporarily running on an GoDaddy's because I'm in search of a place to rent. Once I get a server like MT's Nitro, I plan on throwing down all the traffic. This is mostly planned for the Social Network, remember that.

#10 Sandor

Sandor

Neowinian Senior

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:14

$20k a month off adsense? Be interested to know how you've projected this figure when Google themselves say there is no way to determine exactly in advance what you'll get.

In any event it'll be in the hundreds of thousands (to millions) of visits. Quite the jump from hosting a holding page off your home connection on a mac mini.

As for Media Temple...there's nothing particularly special or spectacular about their servers...they just tend to cost more than the competition. A bit like the Apple of web servers...flashy and well presented but in reality not better than any other provider. They also have bandwidth limits which is pretty idiotic based on the obscene pricing. You could get similar servers for a fraction of the price elsewhere...unmetered.

I'm detecting fantasy day-dreaming in this thread.

#11 OP Mr.XXIV

Mr.XXIV

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:20

$20k a month off adsense? Be interested to know how you're projected this figure when Google themselves say there is no way to determine exactly in advance what you'll get.

In any event it'll be in the hundreds of thousands (to millions) of visits. Quite the jump from hosting a holding page off your home connection on a mac mini.

As for Media Temple...there's nothing particularly special or spectacular about their servers...they just tend to cost more than the competition. A bit like the Apple of web servers...flashy and well presented but in reality not better than any other provider. They also have bandwidth limits which is pretty idiotic based on the obscene pricing. You could get similar servers for a fraction of the price elsewhere...unmetered.

I'm detecting fantasy day-dreaming in this thread.

Why would I be fantasizing? I can reach around $20k because I have the ability to draw traffic, especially with a couple of partners with those abilities.

I'm aware of the prices and metering, that's why I started this topic in the first place..

Attached Images

• Untitled.png

#12 Sandor

Sandor

Neowinian Senior

Posted 26 April 2013 - 12:59

Interesting graph. Site goes from nothing to hundreds of thousands over the space of a few days and then back to nothing again?

#13 TheReaperMan

TheReaperMan

Amazing Super GUY!!!!

Posted 26 April 2013 - 13:11

he hosted that video "Friday" by Rebecca Black :laugh:

#14 OP Mr.XXIV

Mr.XXIV

Posted 26 April 2013 - 14:15

The graph showing is basically represents the statement when I mentioned pushing traffic within a few days. Imagine doing it for the entire month.

#15 He's Dead Jim

He's Dead Jim

Neowinian Senior

Posted 26 April 2013 - 14:26

You can dilute the impact of your product by offering too much information to your competitors before you launch, nothing wrong with a bit of hype though :)