uk

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 15,909 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:05

I am very happy with weight and feel of the S4. Metal is obviously better but obviously heavier.

Better? Sure, if you like encasing your antenna inside what is essentially a Faraday cage. Also, don't drop it! Unlike plastic which has some spring to it, metal just dents horribly.

#17 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

• 34,156 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:07

Everyone should wait to buy this, a couple of months and it will be half price. At least with no contract option. Samsung products are hugely over-priced at start, it devalues like a rocket returning to earth.

A decent buy is a 2nd hand used Samsung S3, value for money is pretty nice. Never buy a plastic samsung first handed. Its a waste of money, its a plastic gadget if you look and feel at it. The only Android i would buy would be Nexus, its the only one with the best firmware and the best updates ignoring the construction materials.

Im amazed that people are buying S4 before other labels present their option. Its my sincere opinion.

Yawn, nobody cares. All hardware that reaches a popularity level gets this stock issue. Moreover, waiting a few months - it's still gonna be made of plastic

#18 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 15,909 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:21

The stock issue is often deliberate anyway. Keep it in short stock, drive up the desire, keep the price high.

#19 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

• 34,156 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:35

The stock issue is often deliberate anyway. Keep it in short stock, drive up the desire, keep the price high.

I thought this had been shown to no longer be the case, as it actually impacts sales? People go to buy a phone on Saturday, they buy on Saturday, not wait for release dates, stock, etc?

#20 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 15,909 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:40

I thought this had been shown to no longer be the case, as it actually impacts sales? People go to buy a phone on Saturday, they buy on Saturday, not wait for release dates, stock, etc?

Not with highly desirable "fashion items". People that want things like an iPhone or an S4 aren't going to settle for an alternative.

#21 HardyRexion

HardyRexion

Neowinian

• 197 posts
  • Phone: Yes. Galaxy S4

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:55

Better? Sure, if you like encasing your antenna inside what is essentially a Faraday cage. Also, don't drop it! Unlike plastic which has some spring to it, metal just dents horribly.

I have no preference. But the general concensus is that the metal cased phones have a more 'premium' feel. By better I mean that a majority of people would prefer metal over plastic any day.

#22 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• 6,665 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5S/Nexus 5

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:16

I am very happy with weight and feel of the S4. Metal is obviously better but obviously heavier.

It's amazing the technology they have managed to squeeze into that chassis. I like it lots.

It has many improvements. Temperature, pressure, humidity sensors. In built pedometer which is handy, the screen is the best out there.

There are so many things that people are labelling as gimmicks that simply aren't, and add to the over all usability of the device

What is useful to one person is bloat to another. I used an S4 at an AT&T store, and yes, I can say (for me) that Touchwiz is bloated and gets in the way of a good Android experience. Coming from a stock Android experience (ala Galaxy Nexus), I found Touchwiz to be extremely convoluted.

#23 watkinsx2

watkinsx2

Neowinian

• 331 posts
  • Phone: HTC One/Lumia 920

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:29

It's amazing the technology they have managed to squeeze into that chassis. I like it lots.

It has many improvements. Temperature, pressure, humidity sensors. In built pedometer which is handy, the screen is the best out there.

There are so many things that people are labelling as gimmicks that simply aren't, and add to the over all usability of the device

I'd say the screen is one of the best out there - not sure you could definitively say its 'the' best considering how many other good 1080p screens are out there. Some people don't like amoled screens too.