17 posts in this topic

Posted

[quote]
A supermarket chain has been forced to withdraw bags of nuts - for failing to declare they may contain peanuts.
The Food Standards Agency (FSA) issued an allergy alert saying the presence of peanuts was not declared on Booths' own brand packets of monkey nuts.
The supermarket has removed 300 packets of 350g Whole Hearted Roasted Monkey Nuts from its shelves.
Booths has apologised and warned customers with a peanut allergy not to consume the product.
[/quote]

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-22308165

Posted

Its ridiculous, i get it for foods you might not expect nuts in. but on a package of nuts? really now?
We should really let some of the population go through the darwin mechanism.
2 people like this

Posted

Reminds me of the Louise CK segment. :) Around 40s in but you should watch the intro if you haven't seen it.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkjmzEEQUlE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkjmzEEQUlE[/url]
3 people like this

Posted

This is almost as dumb as pulling gluten free foods for having traces of *gasp* gluten,,,, nut processing usually happens in places that process multiple varieties of ground and tree nuts... if you are allergic to one or the other you have to be very careful... but as it's a nut factory, there is always that chance something could get in at the trace amount...

heck we make this big ordeal about peanuts, yet there are just as many tree nut allergies out there that are just as bad or worse

Posted

[size=5][sup]What? They put peanuts in my peanuts?!! I'll sue their freaking asses![/sup][/size]

Posted

[quote name='neufuse' timestamp='1366988767' post='595659530']
nut processing usually happens in places that process multiple varieties of ground and tree nuts...
[/quote]

In this case it's not even about other nuts, these are packages of nothing but whole peanuts, still in the shell.

[img]http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/67256000/jpg/_67256906_nutssciphotolib.jpg[/img]

If a person buys a package of peanuts and doesn't [i]know[/i] that they are peanuts without a label they are too stupid to live anyway.
2 people like this

Posted

I can sort of understand this ruling, though.
Standards are there to be followed. 'Obviousness' is not an excuse to not follow them.
1 person likes this

Posted

Interesting so nuts being sold as nuts with no peanut warning are banned yet horse meat being sold as beef/pork meat is completely fine and nothing happens.
1 person likes this

Posted

So why just peanuts with all the warnings. I am massively allergic to mushrooms. I could die from them. Where's my warning?

Posted

[quote name='nik louch' timestamp='1367016037' post='595660100']
So why just peanuts with all the warnings. I am massively allergic to mushrooms. I could die from them. Where's my warning?
[/quote]

I think it's rather unlikely that the same machinery used to process nuts will be used to process mushrooms.

Posted

Somewhat missing the point there, pal!

Posted

[quote name='neufuse' timestamp='1366988767' post='595659530']

heck we make this big ordeal about peanuts,
[/quote]
Insert the "gluten-free" marketing BS here, too.

Posted

[quote name='nik louch' timestamp='1367016037' post='595660100']
[/quote]

It's the risk posed to the public - nut allergies are far more common than mushroom allergies and are typically more severe. That said, the more comprehensive the labelling the better it is for consumers.

Posted

[quote]
The supermarket has removed 300 packets of 350g Whole Hearted Roasted Monkey Nuts from its shelves.
[/quote]

Barely enough to warrant a news story. :D

Posted

Peanuts in a bag marked peanuts .... that can't be right

[img]http://www.virginmedia.com/images/adrian-edmonson-friday-night-live-16376fk-290x400.jpg[/img]
1 person likes this

Posted

[quote name='Growled' timestamp='1367030677' post='595660320']
Barely enough to warrant a news story. :D
[/quote]

Do you want to tell the BBC that?

Posted

[quote name='spikey_richie' timestamp='1367092834' post='595661266']
Do you want to tell the BBC that?
[/quote]

Can I, please. :D