• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#16 PhilTheThrill

PhilTheThrill

Neowinian Senior

• 3,862 posts
  • Phone: WP8

Posted 26 April 2013 - 20:03

Holy crap that's expensive. How do people stand living in such extremely pricey cities? $200k here can get you a nice 2000+ sqft 4 bedroom home.

The downside is that it's Texas.

#17 OP DaDude

DaDude

Neowinian

• 1,186 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 20:03

Lots of money required to pay for expensive bills. Move somewhere else, make less money pay for less expensive but the same stuff...

But salaries outside NY are so low. Not sure how much difference that would make, especially when you factor in the added cost of moving. My aunt and her kids live in Florida and their life is not any easier than mine. I don't understand why people insist that life outside NY is such glory.

#18 xendrome

xendrome

In God We Trust; All Others We Monitor

• 7,212 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 20:19

But salaries outside NY are so low. Not sure how much difference that would make, especially when you factor in the added cost of moving. My aunt and her kids live in Florida and their life is not any easier than mine. I don't understand why people insist that life outside NY is such glory.

I live in Florida, and you can buy a 3 bedroom 2 bath house for $100K, property taxes would be about $1000 a year, and insurance about $1000 a year also. Just to give you an idea. Cost of living is also lower here, and no state income tax.

#19 firey

firey

F͎̗͉͎͈͑͡ȉ͎̣̐́ṙ͖̺͕͙̓̌è̤̞͉̟̲͇̍̍̾̓ͥͅy͓̍̎̌̏̒

• 7,995 posts
  • Phone: Android (4.1.2)

Posted 26 April 2013 - 20:28

I live in Florida, and you can buy a 3 bedroom 2 bath house for $100K, property taxes would be about $1000 a year, and insurance about $1000 a year also. Just to give you an idea. Cost of living is also lower here, and no state income tax.

I live in Ontario Canada. I bought a 2 bedroom, 1 bathroom house (one level) for 132k. I pay ~1600 a year property taxes, and 1000$ or so insurance.

I too was :o when I read this topic, here you can get a 1 bedroom apartment for under 100k no questions. 200k gets you the 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom 3 level style houses, 250k is the 4 bedroom, 2 bath, 3 level houses.

#20 OP DaDude

DaDude

Neowinian

• 1,186 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 20:34

Yes, but I grew up in NY. It's going to cost me a pretty penny to move to somewhere like Florida. And to find a good job like I do here in NY is going to be harder. I understand working for low pay and paying for less, but it's not so much the money, but the job opportunities here. There so much room to move up and advance in my career here because there's so many great jobs around.

And don't forget that here in NYC, we don't need to buy an expensive car and pay expensive gas prices. We have public transportation and while the fares aren't as cheap as they used to be, they're still pretty reasonable. And most stores are walking distance. No need to pay for any transportation to run errands.

I'm not saying that living in New York is better than Florida or vice-versa, but I'm just saying that each state has their ups and downs. You can't say living in NY is so bad while living in X state is 100% glory. That's just not true.

And please, I would like to get back to the topic here.....i.e. a 1 bedroom apartment in Queens for $200,000.00. Moving out is out of the question. NY is where I grew up, this is where my family is and this is where my career is. It is simply not worth the expense and hassle to move considering my situation.

Oh... and in case you didn't know, with houses, you have to work and pay to maintain it, you have to sweep and clean your yard, and you have to shovel in the winter when it snows. In an apartment in NYC, the maintenance workers take care of all that. Again, each has their pros and cons.

#21 vcfan

vcfan

POP POP RET

• 4,716 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 21:29

you have to look at comparables in that neighborhood before you can have any leverage in bringing down the price. no one is going to just give you $50K off the price just for asking,unless they are desperate. If there are other similar places that sold for around $200k in the area, then maybe you'll have a leg to stand on. Do your research,and bring this info when you make an offer.

#22 OP DaDude

DaDude

Neowinian

• 1,186 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 21:32

you have to look at comparables in that neighborhood before you can have any leverage in bringing down the price. no one is going to just give you $50K off the price just for asking,unless they are desperate. If there are other similar places that sold for around $200k in the area, then maybe you'll have a leg to stand on. Do your research,and bring this info when you make an offer.

In my neighborhood, 1 bedroom apartments are selling between $160K to $260K in my area.

#23 vcfan

vcfan

POP POP RET

• 4,716 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 21:44

In my neighborhood, 1 bedroom apartments are selling between $160K to $260K in my area.

then you have a case. document the square footage and all the features of the ones that have sold, then you have a lot of leverage. You have to make sure you don't start too low,or else this could **** off the seller and they wont want to speak with you anymore.

#24 Night Prowler

Night Prowler

Root Access

• 1,054 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 22:35

I'm looking to move out of my parents house and buy a Co-op. My parents live in Queens, New York. The part of Queens we live is Woodside. I would like to buy a Co-op apartment in that neighborhood so I'm not too far from my family. Many 1 bedroom apartments are available for around $220k-250k. I'm looking to negotiate and have them knock their price down to $200k. Is that too unreasonable or is what I'm offering fair? I would like to know if there's a good chance they'll accept my offer. If it's not a fair price, what's a good price to offer?

Thanks.

Make your broker provide comparisons of the local area to see what prices of other similar sites started at, and what they finally sold for. Make your Realtor jump through all the hoops because they are being very well compensated for the work they are doing. ALWAYS use a Realtor to buy, even if you buy from a private party. Make sure your agent is NOT affiliated with the buyer’s agent’s agency.

Basically 'Do your homework'...

If they are not real enthusiastic about dropping the price, you can always ask for things; Appliances, Home warrantee, etc.

Make sure you are pre-approved for the amount of money you plan on financing, as that is also a great plus. Your agent should be leading in with that information to the owner’s agent on the initial request to see the property.

There are areas that the housing market that are on the uptake, but there are more areas that are still very depressed.

#25 Night Prowler

Night Prowler

Root Access

• 1,054 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 22:49

then you have a case. document the square footage and all the features of the ones that have sold, then you have a lot of leverage. You have to make sure you don't start too low,or else this could **** off the seller and they wont want to speak with you anymore.

Just sold our home, and the jerk started out 80k less than we were asking. We instructed our agent to not respond. They had two more viewing, and made two more offers, which we never responded. Finally our agent wanted to counter, and we authorized 4k less than our asking price, and they accepted. We were expecting to retreat maybe 7-10k but this jerk started out by insulting us. We’re not even allowing them into our home for measurements as long as we legally own the house.

You are correct, don't pi** the sellers off...

#26 Nashy

Nashy

Neowinian Senior

• 8,923 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 - SM-G900i

Posted 26 April 2013 - 22:53

This house, about 35 minutes from Brisbane City (Australia) is a 4 Bedroom, 2 bathroom, two lockup garage with access, $375,000.

#27 Denis W.

Denis W.

The True North!

• 16,238 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 4S

Posted 26 April 2013 - 23:07

Urban areas with plenty of opportunity to grow and many accessible city services are bound to be expensive. Really a matter of a person's lifestyle.

Condos downtown are typically $250K-$1 million for small studio units up to a typical 2 bedroom unit. My house in the residential part of the city is not that large but shoots for $450K which I believe is quite close to the average price of a house in Toronto (~400K).

Funny I read comparisons made between rural residents boasting about their large properties worth $200K but in predominately fenced communities and only cars to get around, versus urban 'hipster' folk who live in condos and think the suburbs are a wasteland.

#28 PhilTheThrill

PhilTheThrill

Neowinian Senior

• 3,862 posts
  • Phone: WP8

Posted 26 April 2013 - 23:18

I live in Ontario Canada. I bought a 2 bedroom, 1 bathroom house (one level) for 132k. I pay ~1600 a year property taxes, and 1000$ or so insurance.

I too was :o when I read this topic, here you can get a 1 bedroom apartment for under 100k no questions. 200k gets you the 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom 3 level style houses, 250k is the 4 bedroom, 2 bath, 3 level houses.

What town/city?

#29 srbeen

srbeen

Neowinian

• 1,014 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 23:18

You can low-ball, but be warned they can outright refuse offers from you if they think you are insulting them as well as lock you out if another buyer offers them more. Ask the agent how many others are interested, or how many offers have been submitted can be a great way to get insight into the apartments interest and to decide if you want to risk losing it to negotiate for a better deal.

#30 firey

firey

F͎̗͉͎͈͑͡ȉ͎̣̐́ṙ͖̺͕͙̓̌è̤̞͉̟̲͇̍̍̾̓ͥͅy͓̍̎̌̏̒

• 7,995 posts
  • Phone: Android (4.1.2)

Posted 27 April 2013 - 00:00

What town/city?

Near Hamilton.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!